Any recommended piano lessons, YouTube teachers, apps and so on to learn piano as an adult?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Bunford, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

So, I have always wanted to learn to play the piano, partially to learn a new instrument and partially to improve my understanding of theory and composition.

I know some basic triads and can play basic rhythms (clumsily) using these. I learnt these by being a decades long guitar player and transposing chords onto the piano and teaching myself.

I have a variety of pianos and keyboards, ranging from an 88 key weighted electric piano (with MIDI output) to a 49 key MIDI keyboard to the Native Instruments M32 32 key MIDI keyboard. The 49 key is always hooked up to my DAW, the 32 key is my portable one to chuck in my rucksack, and the 88 key is normally stored away until I feel competent enough to bring it out for use (was planning on leaving it out to learn on initially, but took up too much space!).

What methods do people recommend to learn the piano as an adult? Are any of the apps any good? If so, which one(s)? Or is it best using a book? Or YouTube? Or is it worth getting a teacher, despite costing a small foetune in most cases?

3. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

The process that works best depends on the individual and the unique needs, wants, desires, capabilities, earnestness and eagarness.
    If the passion and drive is there, the path WILL open up.

If you're interested in further discussion, PM me.

Peace.

4. Dblurgh

Dblurgh Ultrasonic

I don't know where you live where a teacher costs a small fortune. I take piano lessons once a week and I pay 50€ a month for that.
    And yes, having in person lessons with a teacher is essential, even if it's just once a week. The role of the teacher is to correct your posture, and make you aware of any bad habits that might be forming, preventing those and helping you develop a proper technique. Trust me, it is very difficult to notice all these things by yourself. Most of the time you'll be practicing by yourself, but it is really, really valuable to have someone giving you proper guidance along the way.
    As for apps, the only one I've been using alongside lessons is Complete Music Reading Trainer because it helps with developing sight reading skills (I tend to stop looking at the sheet music of pieces I'm learning once I've internalized everything and start working on refinement) and of course a metronome. I only use YouTube to look up how other people play a piece I'm learning when I'm unsure about some fingerings.

As for what kind of instrument you need, at the very least you should have an 88 key, fully weighted keys digital piano with all 3 pedals on it.
    I bought a Kawai ES-100 back when I started and it's been serving me well, although the action feels a bit heavier than the piano/grand I play on during my lessons and the position of the pedals is not quite optimal and strains my foot a bit.

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

In the UK it is £30-50 per hour, meaning an hour a week would be £120-200 per month. That is $140-235 per month!

My 88 weighted digital piano does have the 3 pedals and so fota that bill, just it's a tad large and no real space for it so was hoping the others may provide a starting entry point.

6. rage

rage Kapellmeister

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

The same exact way you learn as a child. by playing. Your hands changed shape when you passed puberty? You have extra fingers now? The exercises to learn piano are the same regardless of age.

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Learn to play in C maj/A min and use transpose for other keys.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Not true. Dexterity reduces with age, as does cognitive ability to absorb new things, so normally things like instruments, languages, and so on are generally more difficult to learn as an adult :)

But yeah, my hands are the same shape as pre-puberty :rofl:

10. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Teachers are a good choice if you can afford them. I take lessons from a teacher working in a state subsidized public music school so I only pay 60€ a month for 4 lessons.

11. Parasite-B

Parasite-B Platinum Record

Pretend that you're a child and take it from there.

Michael Jackson did it for his entire life, and look at what he accomplished!

I should add that I don't in any way mean the allegations against him. I am quite a big fan of his music. Just wanted to clear that up before my message gets taken the wrong way. :wink:

12. holdup13

holdup13 Kapellmeister

I know this is an unorthodox approach, and certainly not the most efficient one, but... just get in front of your keys and start playing. It doesn't matter what, just play. Every day. Play something. Try to go in a direction, even if you make a lot of mistakes. It can be quasi-random, it doesn't matter. You will eventually pick up what's what, and what keys to press to get a certain sound/chord, how the intervals work and the space between frequencies. This will be a slow learning curve but once you get to the moment of "singularity", everything after that will be like unveiling curtains.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

i think the crucial question is, what do you mean by "learn to play the piano"?

Do you want to make practical use of the "piano" to make songs, as in expanding what you are already doing? Work at a bar playing the piano? play in a band? Or you want to become a concert pianist and read piano sheets fluently?

Of all of those alternatives "concert pianist" is the only one that would require a complete lifestyle change. For the rest i think you would know pretty well already what it takes.

It "just" involves practice. Practice of scales with the correct fingering will get you on the right track and make you start understanding the patterns of music.

Chords will follow automatically once your brain has processed the scales patters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. holdup13

holdup13 Kapellmeister

Exactly. You just practice and everything will make sense eventually.

15. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I know that an easy advice would be "just play", but there are strategies and techniques that lead to a satisfactory target, and first you need a target (I want to play this, that, etc.).

In case you don't want private lessons, internet is your friend, and searching for "piano beginner course" on YT will show hundreds of them, have a look. Then...

1) learn to read piano scores (see YT for help or books). I mean, the basics of solfege and reading of G and F staff + all scale keys;

2) given a SIMPLE staff, play it the same way with right and left separately;

3) play scales and various exercises first with separate hands then together, I can send you some pdf in case you ask, but you must "complete" point 1.

4) play some simple piece until you feel confident and learn by memory (YOU DON'T NEED SCORE ANYMORE!).
    I would suggest 1th prelude of Bach of Well Tempered Clavier (even if the complete books are considered an advanced study);

5) NOW just play, play, play whatever you can reach.

What you say is true, Ars longa, Vita brevis. However, you would wonder how you can improve with a little daily effort.

Do regular checkpoints each month and note what you learned and what you find difficult, analyze why.

The first example of course that popped out from a search:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I forgot: I see that you have many keyboards, at the beginning of reading you can use any with normal size (not mini), but after you need to use a weighted one.

17. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

There are generally two* types of people when it comes to learning - ones who are good at learning and can teach themselves, figure out their path, and use the resources at their disposal to get better over time in the areas they want as needed, and then there are ones who just can't do that and need someone else to structure and show them a good training path based on experience.

If you are the latter type, then you'll need some kind of structured training - either personal lessons, or a paid online structured course to follow.

If you are the first type - put a keyboard in front of you, and play. Every day. You generally know the effort involved in learning new skills, you enjoy the learning process, and you'll work it out over time.

* There is a third type - ones who are impatient, want to be awesome at something with the bare minimum of effort and expect to be naturally great at it because other people make it look so easy and if they can do it, how hard can it really be? These people generally have no idea of the time and effort involved, give up early and don't get far. In that case, the best advice I can give is... Don't be one of those people! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
    [​IMG]

19. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Are any of the apps out there any good, or online resources? I means things like Yousician, Playground Sessions, Flowkey, Pianote, and so on.

20. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Synthesia?