Any other compressors with knobs that function "backwards" like 1176?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by yungeos, Dec 23, 2023.

1. yungeos

yungeos Member

Specifically referring to the attack/release directions. I had no idea for quicker attack and release, you want higher values vs lower values like you'd typically expect. Found out the 1178 (compressor I've been using most recently) functions the same way and it's got me wondering if there are any other tools that function similarly. I felt like I actually finally understood compression recently after working with it almost exclusively too, but now it all feels like a lie :unsure:. I've been lying to my ears this whole time. My mixes have been clean but it's got me suspicious of everything I use that has knobs that aren't measured in db or ms now. Certainly explains why I always have to put extra effort fine tuning it, but I wonder if I potentially had better results because I was more focused on the sound rather than the numbers.

3. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

I'd like to meet someone that can routinely discern the attack setting on 1176, which is between 50 microseconds to 1ms lmfao

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

If some parameter value on a plugin does exactly the opposite of what you expect, due to years of using things that have an "expected behavior"; you are going to notice it. Or more to your point, you will notice that it seemingly does "nothing" no matter what value you set it at. Blaming what you do not like about your own mixes is another story altogether.

5. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

you shouldn't wonder about this kind of stuff, should've embrace it wholeheartedly in this profession

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

AFAIK, 1176ers are the only ones with inverted times.
    Also keep in mind the dialed in values time, ratio and threshold aren't necessarily exactly what an analogue emulation plugin is really doing.
    Then you've done everything correct. :winker:

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

The difference is very well audible on percussive sounds.

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Thing is, if one can't at the moment hear the difference between let's let's say 50 microseconds to 1ms on an 1176, then eventually after enough experience using such a compressor on percussive instruments with obvious "sharp" transients then certainly in time one will realize that the stark contrast on the sound being processed coming thru that kind of a box as being readily discernible. I use an 1176 to soften the edge of shakers, snares, cymbals and hand drums so that they aren't nearly as spiky as they would be without. In my mind an 1176 is an effect that manipulates tone when used this way with a fast attack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

then your ears have no clue what to focus on, sorry,

various compressors have non-unified controls and non-linear settings,
    similarly many EQs and filters have inaccurate frequency knobs (which also applies to compressor sidechains),

you really need to hear things, not look at things,
    it's uneasy concept to grasp, but in the end the mindset should be to tweak what sounds good, no matter what parameter values you dial in
    :chilling:

10. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

That, and UA's 176 and 175 (which were designed by the same guy who designed the 1176 so i guess it makes sense)

11. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The attack times on the 175 are between 300 microseconds and 1,000 so a bit slower than an 1176's approximately 30 to 800.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List