Any metalheads in the house?

Discussion in 'Rock, Metal' started by Demon, Mar 31, 2014.

1. seriousofficial

seriousofficial Producer

rocker, metalhead...whatever-here,

it's unclear what your perspective is in posting the Virgin-Black song, clearly you aren't looking to get a review here on it, are you?
    So I presume you want to have feedback on the production side of it, since music and song writing is the most subjective thing one can step in to....which zillions of people do every day and in my point of view is pretty useless. Music is a matter of taste and therefor not any subject of discussion...it's like trying to determine whether blonds are sexier than brunettes which about equals the ongoing discussion about'the best guitar player in the world' ;-)
    So on the production side of things, I think the drum sound and the guitar sound are very decent, there's a lot of 'air' in the drum sound which makes it a very good and steady base for any other instrument. In comparison: drum sound is like a wall you can decorate with pictures. If the wall is all torn and cracked, even a Rembrandt will look like a piece of shit on it....get my drift?
    It starts with a good kick...pesonally I'd prefer a kick with a little less 'click' and a little more low/bottom...but (there we go) that's a matter of taste. I do think the bass sound sucks big time.
    In order to get a good production, all the frequencies need to be there. I think the low end is missing in the song. All the soundscapes you are using are really on top (volumewise) and it would be my choice to glue them more into the track, blend them more...they sound a bit separated from the rest now if you'd ask me.
    Ah well, just an opinion on the technical side of things!

Good initiative to start this thread for the heavier music, that's appreciated. :)

2. drdark2

drdark2 Guest

Maybe I can lighten things up for you by stating Pearl Jam and no other!

3. oska

oska Noisemaker

My initial forage into metal was like everyone else, the zenith was metallica, megadeth etc. and it never seemed that anything could remotely topple that. Growling was also a strict deal breaker for me, seemed gimmicky. But from there on into sepultura and then other European bands to culminate finally in Norway. That's when i realised what ridiculous a clean vocal would sound over any Immortal, Emperor song.

Those who abhor dirty vocals, watch 'the zen of screaming' tutorial/documentary.

4. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Im pretty sure there are alot of metal people around. Im one, But as someone said, or close anyway i dont care to name it as any genre. As long as its guitar driven, melodic and some desend vocals im fine. Anyhow, im open for any suggestion and workflow if anyone wanna have a go. I mean, lets show all other that we are here guys :D..

Take Care

Vaijj

5. Demon

Demon Producer

CJerk, I'm not into grindcore, but definitely into death metal. How old are you, mate? I'm 38, so from the old school.

6. Demon

Demon Producer

Very interesting music. Neurotech reminds me of a phase Devin Townsend / Strapping Young Lad went through.

Sybreed sounds nice as well. I don't mind at all.

Check out "X-World-5", they have that cyber tone as well, but a bit more "modern metal".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSQBfoOD0Dk

Cheers mate.

7. Demon

Demon Producer

cryoloathe, I like this very much, it's like a fast Meshuggah, with lots of other flavours... Have you created longer tracks, and are you looking to add vocals?

8. Demon

Demon Producer

Impressive! Well done Robaerus. What do you play in this band?

9. Demon

Demon Producer

Thank you very much for this. Downloading now.

10. Demon

Demon Producer

Wow, this little gadget has just gone to the top of my wish-list. As soon as I have some extra cash I'll get this. That is a promise, my friend. I don't write music on paper, but if I send you a rough cut of a song, can you add a solo that fits the song's intent and style?

THANKS AGAIN!

11. Demon

Demon Producer

My hair was down to the middle of my back for many years, and I cut it two weeks ago! Feeling light-headed indeed.

12. Demon

Demon Producer

Hi seriousofficial,

I posted the Virgin Black songs simply to say that it's the style of metal that I want to make, but on the other hand...

YES! I agree with your comments, especially having the sound waves being over the top. I do like a clicky kick though, but maybe a bit more boom, would give a better bass beat. I noticed you said "... the soundscapes you are using". Mate, I didn't do this. This is a local band here, that I really like. They sound great live.

The funny thing is, I listen to a lot of styles of metal, but when I grab a guitar and I start playing something new and I lay it on a track, it always turns out to be this melancholic stuff, and my lyrics are not any happier. I guess it's just a thing I like, and I guess a reason why Paradise Lost is my favourite band and their vocalist, Nick Holmes, one of my favourite songwriters. Check this out:
    http://youtu.be/9BONcpuDcrc

13. Demon

Demon Producer

Thanks, mate. Links to that video? I found a few ones titled the same.

Cheers.

14. Demon

Demon Producer

I agree. Who would be up for some metal making? I'm still in a learning stage with recording and mixing, etc. but I can sing!! Anyone?

15. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

Does knowing ALL of Spinal Tap dialogs , and being secretly in love with Maynard from Tool count as Metalhead?

16. Demon

Demon Producer

Everyone, I wasn't expecting such a great number of responses. This is great. It feels like many of you were just hiding in the shadows.

Thanks to all of you.

In between, how the hell do you make a response here quoting everyone? I just made a mess of this page replying to everyone. Cheers for any upcoming tips.

17. Demon

Demon Producer

Haha. Yeah, that will get you started for sure.

18. johanna

johanna Newbie

And I am into metal too. wanna scream so much! :wink:

19. Demon

Demon Producer

Aaaarrrrggghhhhello!

Do you scream / sing as well?

Favourite bands / style?

20. johanna

johanna Newbie

Well, what should I say :) :))) girly style :bleh:
    Just I had a break from singing and now I am trying to get back and learn again, but now right tehnique( 2 and half months).
    So, I really wish, in a few months I think I will be ok. for start :). But anyways, feels so cool! And I am relaxed more, this music producing and everything else really really ate all my nerves.