Any metalheads in the house?

Discussion in 'Rock, Metal' started by Demon, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Demon

Demon Producer

Hello,

Although I listen to many genres of music, metal is my thing. All the music I write and do is metal, and then again these are sub-classified into other metal genres. I enjoy mostly writing Doom metal, where I can incorporate orchestral instruments via kontakt. Think of a "Virgin Black" kind of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYWnRwqpFPQ

So the question is, are there any metalheads here that make metal music? It would be great to find some like-minded people to share tips and news.

For everyone else, please keep in mind that, as I said, I am open to other genres. metal is just what I write and create.

I'll await responses from fellow headbangers.

Thanks!

3. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I'm more of an Industrial guy myself but there is some metal I like. There are metalheads here for sure though. *yes*

I actually started a section for genre specific production (DJ, Electronic, Film-Scoring, Industrial, Rap) where I was hoping people would share some processing tips among other things but it hasn't taken off as I had hoped. When I have some free time I am looking to get the ball rolling on that section and maybe people would start sharing more.

4. Demon

Demon Producer

Hey Catalyst. Thanks for your comment. I did see that section, but it didn't have any sub section for metal. Would it be worth doing to start a metal genre post there? I might give it a go.

Thanks again!

5. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

I think ultimatemetal.com or sevenstring.org might be more your thing then.

I'm a guitar guy too, and I like the heavy stuff.. and I have no interest what so ever in any kind of Synth, being Soft or hardware :P, I don't like Ableton and I couldn't care less for Bitwig... but I'm waiting eagerly for any new amp sim to come out :).

.. yet the stuff you posted is clearly not my thing. The moment they start grunting it's over for me.

6. AuralVirus

AuralVirus Newbie

Not my usual but I'd be interested in learning.

I'd love to be able to kick out stuff similar to NailBomb or Godflesh though I can appreciate the tune you shared here I'm leaning toward a punk originated noise.

*UPDATE*
    The above is not what I make - I'd just like to know how to for possible future excursions.

ps I enjoyed your Gridlock tunes. Solid stuff.

7. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

Ya u are not going to get a huge metal response on this website.

I only listen to metal, don't care what kind it is. As long as its energetic! I don't care if they grunt, scream, cookie monster, growl, burp talk, whatever. Music is the only thing that matters to me. Words have all been said thousands of times over. I would prefer if all music was just bad ass instrumental metal, like Sleep Terror.

If you want an awesome metal tone using your pc, get a Sans Amp Para Driver and run that puppy straight to Amplitube under one of the german gain presets. Can't be beat for a straight to pc metal.

Millions of people can strum a guitar. How many people can shred?

Necrophagist will always be the king of shred!

8. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

I like the old skool metal, early megadeth, sabbath, etc. but can't write it, never been able to play the guitar good enough

9. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

i'm also into what is now called oldschool....mainly death and thrash metal though...think about early slayer, sepultura, death, obituary, ...

I use a mesa preamp and a two-notes cab sim...awesome little box if you dont know it yet

10. Demon

Demon Producer

Hi all, thanks for responses, awesome!

dipje
    I understand the grunting dislike. Most grunts are horrible! Virgin Black does grunts only on that album. In the other ones it's more of a melodramatic tenor, baritone and operatic singing. Check it out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612jIYHcwZQ&feature=kp

Turk & kearnsy
    I love Nailbomb myself. All of the bands I ever sang with (I was always a vocalist) were old school. I'll share some of the stuff I used to do, I hope you like it (it's an almost dead myspace thing we had):
    GRIMLOCK

I am not a fantastic guitarist, but I can write riffs and play them. I can play the drums decently, but can't shred the guitar at all. It would be interesting to do something with someone else (any shredders out there?).

tater_one
    I have found some places with more metal but not great responses, by not great responses I mean that I do get responses, but they are usually full-on virtuosos that have no interest in talking to me unless I lay vocal tracks for them, hahaha. I might try those links you posted; so thank you.

Also, tater_one, could you please elaborate on this Sans Amp Para Driver and the German gain presets. I am SUPER intrigued. Let me know if you prefer a private message.

Hi lysergyk,

Thanks for that! Would you have any links with more information please?

11. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I'm more on the metal side than anything else :wink:

My fav bands for now are cyber-metal oriented (blend of electro and orchestral sometimes)
    Like Neurotech :
    Neurotech Antagonist

Or early Sybreed :

For now, i produce with a Tonelab LE (more dynamic than any Line6), LePou LE456 or Legion, TSE 808 and X50 and Ignite Amps pedals for guitars.

For drums : EZ drummer all the way. Metalmachine, Metal !, Metalheads (limited to me), Rock ! (medium rock), Rock Solid (big mid-tempo modern metal), The Classic (classic rock, if needed), DFH (too old and thin to mix).

For bass bank : Orange tree Cherry Bass and Shreddage Bass 2. I tried almost all solutions, and only use this.

For orchestral : the 3 symphobia, because they blend right with metal :rofl: And as i don't do true orchestral only, i don't need any big library like Mural/Sable...they are a workflow killer for what i do.
    Soundiron Apocalypse Percussion Ensemble for percs.
    Soundiron Olympus Elements or Requiem Light for choirs (more than enough).
    Sonokinetic Vivace and Minimal to help finding some lines.
    Ethno World 5 for ethnic stuffs (one of the best sounding bank ever, with some loops you can't reproduce with MIDI)

I will follow this thread :wink:

12. Demon

Demon Producer

Pipotron, anywhere I could listen to your music?

13. CJerk

CJerk Newbie

PRESENT.

I haven't really been writing too much lately, only because its difficult to find like minded musicians (at least in a similar age range as myself) that are into death metal and grindcore so I've been focusing almost soley on arranging classical music and misc electronic/hip hop stuff. Its fun, but my heart lies with metal and hardcore.

14. cryoloathe

cryoloathe Noisemaker

Metalhead here!

this a demo example of production/mixing and a bit of mastering:
    http://soundcloud.com/ricardo-seco-mixmaster/promo-1-demo

If you need any tips and advices just pm me.

Cheers

15. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

Metalhead here...

I have a special interest in everything that involves Metal Production.

Nice to know that are many people here to share information.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

16. Robaerus

Robaerus Newbie

Hello guys,
    nice to be finally here on the forum. Since the topic is veri interesting, I'd like to share my tastes; i'm more prog-rock, prog-metal amnd classic metal oriented, groups like Rush, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Redemption are the ones I like to listen more. I write a sort of power/prog metal and I would like to share with you a song I am preparing with my group Primeval Sun. I am open to any suggestion to give/take to help in my very little knowledge people who try to make music (one of the best human activities so far, IMHO).
    Have a great day, everyone :)

Hope you will like it :)

17. Levitate

Levitate Producer

Here are some drum samples I found online awhile ago,they are categorized and sorted kinda,there are some decent ones in here.Under kicks in the Renels God (or something like that) folder,the Cradle of filth kick is my favorite,I just edit it and make it shorter to take the reverb out.There are some nice cymbals and hi hats in here too,the snares aren't bad either with a lil processing.I'm not sure if I found these from an old post on here or just diggin online but.Originally it was from this link Original post with dead links
    I was gonna upload it if it was removed,but after some searching and downloading to verify it's the same it's here,this actualy has a lil more in it than the original post.Erkan's website Just go to the download tab,it's the drum samples one,there's some guitar and bass ir's on there too but I haven't tried em yet.Granted these may not sound as good as ez drummer or superior drummer but some pretty nice samples.Just figured you guys may like em.I don't have a working guitar at the moment so it's all keyboard for me (for now),been messin with guitar tone a lil though,Real Lpc or Shreddage 2 with Poulin/Lepou Legion and Lecab with the different bands ir's that were shared on here a lil while back is pretty mean soundin,you mix any 2 of the ir's together it gets pretty nasty.Others are nice too,Guitar Rig 5,Amplitube 3 Overloud Th2,Nick Crow,etc for certain tones.I just kinda like the Legion and lecab sound.Put a delay on it for leads.Really looking forward to using an actual guitar.I haven't done anything serious with it,I just like playin with sound.It's funny though my neighbor is in a band and the other day I was rippin it up with that setup and he's outside and I'm kinda fast on the keyboard,(I'm no Jordan Rudess or Rick Wakeman but I can get down)anyway,dude was like "You recording somebody?,That dude on the guitar is a monster" :rofl:
    Rock on fellas :headbang:

18. vladcarlos

vladcarlos Member

Industrial , EBM , GothRock , BlackMetal here to !!!
    :drummer: :guitarhero:

19. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

The Sans Amp is a DI box for around $200. It makes it so you can plug your guitar into a line level mixer or pc audio interface. Then once you have plugged your guitar to that DI box. Then you can adjust settings on the Sans Amp and get a really nice clean tone, with a little bite. Then load Amplitube on your pc and choose the Amplitube presets in the German Gain category. Those are presets of an ENGL Amp, the king of metal amps which I could never afford in real life!

So the Sans Amp Para Driver DI is just an average priced DI box so you can plug your guitar directly into your pc interface or mixer. I like the Sans Amp cuz you can tweak gain and EQ to get some distorted tones on its own. Then add Amplitube on your pc and it will really crank.

Basically the same thing lysergik is doing, but he has more expensive gear. A Mesa Boogie preamp, which is acting as the DI. Then he has a cabinet simulator box which probably really sweetens it up. The Sans Amp has cabinet simulation too, but I doubt it sounds as good as lysergik's setup!

So to me, if you are playing your guitar through your pc, it is crucial to have a preamp or DI to sweeten up the sound a little before hitting it with a guitar modeling software on your pc. Otherwise you can't really get that over the top metal distortion to sound good!

Hope that helps you out a little bit mang! Make something shredtastic!

And I can shred the hell out of a guitar, but I completely suck at writing!
    Write some shredderiffic sheet music, and I could play it for you!

20. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Old school metalhead me :wink:
    but what is really shocking is I went to the barbers today and had all my long hair cut off, a no.3 all over :wow:

gonna have to start listening to 2tone again and wearing some doc martins (anyone seen my red braces?) :mates:

feeling really lightheaded at the moment :rofl:

21. grboye

grboye Newbie

VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER from the Cowboys from Hell