Any install geniuses out there?

Discussion in 'Software' started by coil, Jan 4, 2017.

1. coil

coil Noisemaker

I have a question maybe someone can help with. I uninstalled the old Addictive Drums 2 and installed this new R2R one, but the old .dll was called "Addictive Drums 2 x64" and this new one is just "Addictive Drums 2", so when old Ableton projects using AD look for the plugin, it's not the same name and it won't find it.
    I tried renaming the new .dll to "Addictive Drums 2 x64" but it doesn't work.
    Any ideas?

3. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

is it possible that it has something to do with vst3?
    some daws prefer the vst3 version over the vst2 one. so if you rename the vst2 dll your daw might still use the .vst3 and not the dll one.
    to be sure just rename the *.vst3 to *.vst3.OFF or change the ending. you find those in program files/common files/vst3

4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I wish. Ableton has yet to implement VST3 support.

Try leaving the new Addictive Drums 2 dll name as it is and when you load your old project remove the missing plug and insert the new one.
    I don't use AD so I not sure the lengths you'll have to go through to reset the device settings to fit the project but your MIDI should be retained in Ableton clips and arrangement.

Whenever I've created a patch that's intensive I usually save it as a device preset in Ableton itself as well as the plugin. It narrows the possibility of not being able to recall after updates.

Another thing I could suggest but would be time-consuming and kind of a long shot is renaming the Addicitive Dums 2 to Addicitive Drums 2 x64 like you did so they match, backing up your database file and deleting it to have Ableton rebuild. Honestly, this might cause more problems than it's worth.

5. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Ableton Live doesn't scan VST3 plugs (it can use VST2 only)

6. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

- Uninstall AD2 (maybe you can keep content).
    - Delete manually any "Addictive Drums*.dll" from your plugins folder(s)
    - Reinstall AD2 (if you use Live 9 only, doesn't install VST3, it's useless).
    - Force Live to rescan plugins (if Live doesn't "see" AD2 plugin).

7. coil

coil Noisemaker

I can insert a new instance of AD but it won't have the same kit loaded or the same settings so unfortunately that wouldn't help.

8. line.input

line.input Ultrasonic

This is one of my private "good practice" tips. It has saved me lots of time (and tons of headaches).

What you're writing about is one of the common problems with updates. The lesson it gave me is the following:

1. Always bounce the tracks to audio before mixing. When done, disable VSTi plugins and deactivate MIDI tracks. Usually, the original audio I want to keep as dry as possible so I only apply the very minimal amount of effects from the VSTis. Anyway, bouncing will let you preserve the original content even if you won't be able to restore the entire session after your plugins have been upgraded.

2. I always write down the names of the patches I use right on the recorded tracks / audio bounces so even if my DAW is unable to recall the track properly, I've got a hint where I should look for the missing pieces.

3. Use the plugins from the same / your favourite support team until you get a legit copy. ;-)

Were I you, I'd try to resolve the problem by

1. Reinstalling the previous version of AD2.

2. Performing the necessary bounces.

It's not exactly the cleanest method (because you won't use the upgraded AD2 for your current production) but at least you'll preserve your mix (I guess so).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  9. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

I looked into it before in regard to Studio One though. Has to do with the plugin ID number itself. When the plugins are scanned the DAW stores the plugin ID, vendor info, etc. This info goes along to project files. You should be able to view and edit a project file in notepad. If you load an instance of the new AD 2 in a blank project and save it you can open that project file and see the new ID number for that plugin. View your old project with AD 2 and edit the plugin ID number to match the new, save it, and the old project should open with the new AD 2 with the same settings you had. You can also uninstall the new plugin, reinstall the old, save presets for instances in old projects, uninstall, reinstall the new, etc.. but it takes longer.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I got ahead of myself. Reinstalling the old version seems like a winning suggestion.
    Good to know. Found similar info just not as specific as what @dbmuzik stated here: https://www.ableton.com/answers/restoring-missing-plugins

There are some links for general organizational habits and basic standards too. The PDF was useful though most everyone here knows this stuff.
    http://www.grammy.org/files/pages/DAWGuidelineLong.pdf