Any idea of this monophonic lead synth?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by lukehh, Oct 1, 2013.

1. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Hi, anybody have an idea which VSTi I should optimally use to generate an monophonic lead synth like its used in this song (position 3:12 - end)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xct2lh_david-bowie-ashes-to-ashes_music

Rumours says this originally was created by a gitarrist named Chuck Hammer by using a Roland guitar synth GR500 others say it might be a mini moog or prophet 5

Thanks in advance
    Luke

3. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

wich one there is a bass lead and a worm lead are you talking about the high pitched one that is a Worm lead you can get it with a vintage Moog vsti

4. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

The high one..which is played monophonic (I guess) .. Yes, the worm lead. (I never heard that) Ahh, a mini moog..I already thought that...as I remembered having such an sound in old Steinberg Model-E..but wasnt sure because I dont have it in actual setup :thumbsup:

OK..just 1 more question..Is this an Oberheim OB-8 Lead synzh sound? And if so..any idea what VSTi can perfectly emulate this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0WNbm1jz6A (The main lead synth sound)

5. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Lukehh,

These are more than 'Rumours'... because that's true *yes* that he's 'Chuck Hammer' who has played/created these 'Synth Guitar' Parts.
    In fact, he used 4 'Synth Guitars' for that purpose, playing inverted Chords Sequences.
    By cons, I can't certified you that he has done all his 'stuff' with that particular model : 'Roland Guitar Synth GR500', but as it was one of the most famous 'Synth Guitar' of that period, probabilities are high that it was the used Model (?). *yes*

Maybe you can find more in-depth info via 'Google', or directly via a specific Website dedicated to 'Chuck Hammer', if it exists, of course !

6. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Yes I also read the wikipedia article about the song..but they say "its choir-like textures were created by guitarist Chuck Hammer" But I mean the pitched high lead synth.

7. audioplg

audioplg Ultrasonic

i remember 2 two of the synths from the gary newman song from when i was a little kid seeing it on top of the pops
    one was a moog model d and the other was a arp odyssey

ps check out gforce oddity as thay have gary as an artist so you never know the preset may be i the factory bank

8. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Yeah...Thanks, maybe I should try it!

But I think its also a Mini Moog that plays the main lead melody. Here you can see it at (2:16)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IgTe-f-Pns

and here all the time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu6MDdxBork

AHHH..and now I can prove it..Its a Minimoog..this says wikipedia:

""Are 'Friends' Electric?" features three different sections: a recurring "verse" with a synth riff in C and B flat, a recurring section with spoken word over slow arpeggiated seventh chords, and an instrumental break in F. The instrumentation is quite minimal: there is a conventional drum and bass guitar backing track, some additional heavily flanged guitar (particularly in the instrumental break), subdued vocals and, most prominently, a Minimoog synthesizer. These synth parts include a slow-paced sawtooth bass riff, and some soaring portamento background lines.

Numan stumbled upon synthesizers by accident. While intending to record a punk album, he noticed a Minimoog synthesizer that had been left in the studio.[3] The keyboard’s massive sound became the inspiration for the Replicas album, and is the dominant sound for this song."

9. audioplg

audioplg Ultrasonic

on that second vid guy playing the arpeggio on minimoog model d with a polymoog underneath it the other guy has a arp oddersy but not sure what the other big keys is to his left that he plays at 1:21 to double up the moog part

unfortunately i was 1 year old when that aired but i remeber that he got really into digital synnths like the roland d-50 then later on in a magazine be it soundonsound or futuremusic he said that he could do all his back catalogue on a soft synth or a access virus one of the two lol