Any good alternative to Ableton session view?

Discussion in 'Live' started by jennyblack, Sep 16, 2021.

1. droplet

droplet Rock Star

With Reaper I can do much more than with Ableton. I'm on an i5 3740t

2. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

I believe you. As I said, the clip launcher / session view feature is what makes me stick to Live, as I perform live from time to time.

3. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Oh, and it's so uncluttered too. Love the workflow.

4. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Folks, gotta a question.

When I opened the task manager to verify this crazy CPU hit, I noticed two applications open when I launch Live. There is an application running behind the scenes called "Ableton Index.exe". This is the one which consumes so much CPU, and not Ableton Live 11.exe.

The question: what is this "Ableton Index.exe" for? And: can I close it in the task manager and continue to work with Live?

5. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

6. droplet

droplet Rock Star

I had forgotten about that clip launcher, but I don't miss it.
    I don't need to install live 11 because I don't have any tracks with it so I'll keep 10 as legacy.

7. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Hey folks, just to report back what I have found:

- the culprit for so much resource consumption in my system was really the Ableton Index.exe running in the background. The problem is that it can keep on running for ages in my system, like 15 min (even with just the factory content added in the browser)!! After it does its job, no big problems (there is a bug in the Live 11 meter that reports high CPU peaks from time to time, but this is not shown in the task manager, so I assume it is just a bug without real impact in the performance). To contour the high resource usage after starting Live, I am stopping the "Ableton Index.exe" process in the task manager if I want to do some live performance without inconveniences. But it was a bit surprising that a software that is meant to be live performance oriented could be so resource heavy under ordinary circumstances because of a background process.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and insights!

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

weird takes 10-15% here (almost one logical thread), doesnt bother me much tbh.
    I usually dont have much to scan in my sample folder, so that index scans pretty fast through.

Solution is, to open Live and let the indexer just scan. Make sure the sample folder isnt randomly changed.

9. robotboy

robotboy Producer

Someone made one for Reaper called Playtime. Like so many things Reaper, it has an interface that only a mother could love. That aside, I don't think it'd be a suitable replacement for session view.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  10. mykorrhiza

mykorrhiza Kapellmeister

this is a highly interesting thread.
    i bought a mac pro 2013 max config as i was running out of performane for our super complex live setup. it was a bumper, we tested with superior drummer, 128 samples buffer 44,1kh, after the 4th instance the cpu display goes up to around 25 000 %, like it was on my macbook pro 2012. then we tested bitwig, more as a joke... bwoooooy! 14 instances of superior drummer at 64samples buffer, everything running without any issue. we were speachless...
    bought it and still checkin it, as i'm a real child of live it feels just wrong. but this daw seems to take advantage of our super system, which live 11 obviousely does not.

11. droplet

droplet Rock Star

Ableton wants you to buy a better computer just to make music.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List