Any former studio tech/engineer here ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by martel80, Dec 18, 2016.

1. martel80

martel80 Producer

I had a couple beer as usual after my shift....

I was reflecting over my past 20 years......from my teenage to my actual situation.

I'm always on the path to find something positive to say even though i'm a very critical/cynical person (specialy on myself) ....I have that willing to change for better.

I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum that actually hit the professional popular music level at any point in their life and what they accomplished or should I say what part they took on any project they took part of.

I'm not starting this thread to know who got the biggest cuck ....I just want to know If anyone ever realised anything in music .....even a bandcamp album ( wich is my next goal once I get out of that ''oh shit no, its not ready yet'' process)

I've started young in the pop industry in my country ( Canada ) and I was very ambitious and I did the big mistake of taking too much thatI could handle.

I'm a French Canadian and I was a highly recognized in the industry when I was 19-20 because of my criticism as a mixing engineer I guess.
    I'm illeterat as a Musician but I can hear brown note from 3 blocks away.
    When I listen to Abbey Road ( wich is my favorite album ever even tho' I totaly hate rock or pop ) I an hear a lot of flaws/peak/resequencing in the recording and I think thats one type of ability that made me one of those kid prodigy when I started.

Anyways, I'm very harsh critic musically.

I'd like us to just share our musical realization without anyone to criticize.

My most awarded realization as a Recording and Mixing tech was from one of the biggest French Pop artist in my province.

She won a Juno Music award ( Canadian Grammies ) for recording album of the year and francophone album of the year for the specific album I worked on.
    Heres the link to get some snippet of my work ( I've never touched anything about the mastering on this project)

http://palmaresadisq.ca/fr/artiste/lynda-lemay/album/du-coq-a-l-ame/

I was recording/mixing 2 other bands during the process and the end went very badly for the studio and me.
    As I was very young and with a lot of testosterone, i've politely told them all to go eat shit and hope to enjoy it.
    I haven't changed much....maybe I'm still in burn out after all those years.....dunno....I dont care. I'm an asshole and I live with it.
    But yeah, that was the highest I ever went.....I was 20....I'm 36 now, and I wouldnt go back or change a thing.

what about you guys ?

Any dreams or stuff you did you're not so proud but got critically acclaimed ?

P.S. I dont understand shit about scottish accent but GOD DAMN, you guys know how to craft beer !
    Thank you
    ( one day I promise myself I'll do an experimental album in scotland in one of those wood/carved rock house near the ocean before I have a terminal cancer)

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  3. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Hello,
    My name is Will "The Weirdo" Wilson, I'm a 46 year old music lover. I was born in the U.S. but I was raised in Germany, where I began DJ'ing in my teens. I started releasing my own music at 19 and have not stopped since, and don't plan to.

Musically, I came up with tech N9ne out of Kansas City. I worked to help start Strange Music, now the largest indi label on the planet. I worked on many regional albums with my 5150MP production team, including a national theme song for Jim Rome and music for Jason Whitlock's shows. In 2007 I moved to Atlanta and worked with many artists and producers including Jazze Pha. My work has sold between 2.5 and 3 million soundscan. In 2012 I left full time Engineering in LA to return to my passion of music creation. Semiretired, I currently take some work online from people I know, but I mostly create. I'm currently making all original modern holiday music for fun.

Major Song Credits
    Bobby V feat. 50 Cent "Alter Ego" - Recording
    J West feat. Ray J & Jazze Pha "She Bad" - Recording
    Chu feat. Jazze Pha & Too Short "Gone" - Recording
    E-40 feat Snoop Dogg, Too Short & Jazz Pha "You Can't Stop the Boss" - Recording
    Gucci Mane "The Movie" - Recording
    Angie Stone "Free" - Recording
    Bun B "Till We Say So" - Recording
    Trick Trick ft Jazzie Pha "Big Body" - Recording
    OJ Da Juiceman, Feat. David Banner "It’s A Go" - Recording
    Phyzikal, Roscoe Dash & Wakka Flakka "Girls Go Crazy" - Mix
    Vawn feat Bobby V "Get A Room" - Recording, Mixing & Mastering
    Nicole Krinsky "Homeboy Hookup" - Recording & Mixing
    Gavin feat. Yung Joc and Jazze Pha "Twitter Her" - Recording & Mixing
    Rich The Factor "Bitch Quit Callin" - Co-Produced
    Tech N9ne feat. Lejo "Now It's On" - Produced, Recording & Mixing
    Tech N9ne "Sinister Tech" - co-produced, Recording & Mixing
    Tech N9ne "This Ring" - Recording & Mixing
    Tech N9ne "It's Alive" - Recording & Mixing
    Tech N9ne "Tormented" - Mixing
    Tech N9ne "Devil Boy" - Co-produced
    Tech N9ne "Yadda, Yadda, Yadda" - Co-produced, recording & mixing
    Tech N9ne feat. Greed, Krizz Kalico & Kutt Calhoun "Hydro" - Co-produced, recording & mix
    Tech N9ne feat. Road Dawg Villians "Constantly Dirty" - co-produced
    Tech N9ne "Rednecro" - Production & Recording
    Tech N9ne feat. Krizz Kaliko & Sundae "Too Many Girls" - Recording
    Tech N9ne feat. Brotha Lunch Hung & Sundae "What's Yo Psycho?" – Recording
    Sounds Of Blackness "I Can Testify" Recording & Mixing

Artists, Writers, Producers, Label credits
    3AM, 3D, 3rd Degree, Ahsan, Alja Jackson, Andre Bowman, Angie Stone, Atlantic Records, BG Bullutwound. Big Zeke, Black Elvis, Bobby Valentino, Boi Big, Bombsquad, Bun B, Capitol/EMI, Cassanova, CBD, Charnel Allen, Cheff Tone, Chelli, Chu, Danay, David Banner, Def Jam, Detroit Nix, Dive Cult, DJ SKU, Don Vito, DOVE DAWG, Dukes of DaVille, Ducho, DVS Mindz, E-40, Emjay, Eric Bellinger, Famili Tree, G White, Gavin, Gaz, Geezel, Gucci Mane, Guitar Boy Pat, Harold Lilly, HeavyWeights, Hobo Tone, Holopoint, Icy Roc, IMYOUNIK, Infinity, Interscope Records, Jason Whitlock, Jazze Pha, Jim Jones, Jim Rome, Jive Records, Johnny Bravo, K Briscoe, K Michelle, Kalenna Harper, Kam Parker, KC Royals, Keisha Chante, Keyaira, Krizz Kalico, Kutt Calhoun, Lil Flip, Lil Twist, London Taylor, Luni Corleon, Matt Head, Maxine Ashley, Micky Shiloh, Mr. Fieldtrip, Mr Chubby, Nicole Krinsky, Nummy, OJ Da Juiceman, Petie Pablo, Phlaque, Phyzikal, Pistola, Planet VI/RockCity, Plias, Profit, Raekwon, Raheem DeVaughn, Ray J, Red Styles, Reign, Rel Paul, Rich the Factor, Road Dawg Villians, Rock City, Roscoe Dash, Ruben Studdard, Sean Paul, Shock G, Snoop Dawg, Sodiq, Soldier Gambino, Something Random, Sonny Valentine, Sony/BMG, Sounds of Blackness, Spice 1, Strange Music, Sundae, Tech N9ne, The Outsyderz, Tony Gaines, Too Short, Toro, TQ, TrackSlayers, Trak Killas, Trick Trick, UMKC, Universal Music, University of Kansas, Vawn, Wakka Flakka, Who Wride, X-Dash, Young Dro, Young Duse, Yukmouth, Yung Joc, Zkiercrow

Major Studio’s Worked
    Chung King - NYC
    Sound On Sound - NYC
    Battery - NYC
    Patchwerk - Atl
    DARP - ATL
    Stankonya - ATL
    Zac's - Atl
    11th St. Studio - ATL
    ATL Studio – ATL
    Soapbox - ATL
    Hot Beats Atl
    Boiler Room/Zed 1 - LA
    Bill's Place - LA
    Boom Boom Room - LA
    Atlantic Studio’s – LA
    Chapman Recording - KCMO
    Zgwonth - Lawrence KS
    Cypher Sound - KCMO

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • List
  4. martel80

martel80 Producer

Oh boy thats a lot of time behind the desk !
    Good job Will and nice meeting you .
    Keep up the good work !

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Now that my friend deserves a golden Cubendo elements award.
    The award awaits you on AZ.

Jokes aside, props to you bro, impressive stuff :bow:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Bun B is one of my favorite Houston rappers. Legend stuff Will!!!! Did you ever meet Gucci mane at Patchwerk??

7. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

This is going to turn into the biggest jack off thread lol!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

My eyes just ejaculated onto the screen from only reading this.

9. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Salut, martel80 !
    Lynda, je l’ai entendu il y a qq semaines, avec son pianiste, et j’ai aime. Elle n’a plus trente ans, la meuf, mais elle est… bien, quoi. Ses chansons sont plutot bien aussi, elle a du coeur. Et t’as fait du bon travail, by the way. C’est mieux de faire peu, mais bon, que du mauvais, et beaucoup!
    T’es un drole de type, toi…! Avoir travaille avec Lynda Lemay, ca c’est une carte de visite, mon vieux. A mon avis, il faut l’utiliser, et surtout utiliser ton talent. Sans te vexer, tu me fais chier avec ton “shift” et ton expertise en biere ecossaise. Tes collegues de “shift” sont-ils capables de faire ce que tu sais faire…? Moi, je crois pas. T’as 36 ans, et t’as deja des regrets? Faut attendre l’age de la sagesse pour ca, mon ami. Bon, t’as dit a qq cons d’aller se faire f*****, il y a 20 ans, et alors? Faut regarder les choses en face – c'est l’esprit latin, pas plus. A 20 ans, on ouvre souvent la bouche pour dire des conneries, faut pas t’en vouloir. Et oui, il y a des musiciens de m****, mais si tu dis a un aveugle – “Mais t’es aveugle, ou quoi?”, ca ne sert pas a grande chose.
    En ce moment, l’industrie est infestee par des oreilles bouchees - et tu le sais tres bien. Tu as un don - ca vient de Dieu, c’est pas donne a tout le monde, et il faut etre reconnaissant. Faut pas le gaspiller. J’en suis sur que qq’un, qq part, a surement besoin de toi et de ton savoir faire. Faut simplement les trouver. Ou c’est a eux de te trouver. Fais le necessaire, aujourd’hui on a l’internet et tout ca. Et prie au Bon Dieu, ca marche toujours (et surtout a Noel!).
    Alors, sois pas marteau, mon martel, et FONCE !!! Meme les plus longs chemins commencent par un pas. Ce ne sera peut-etre pour demain, pour apres-demain, ou meme pour cette annee, mais on vit qu’une fois, non? Faut faire ce qu’on aime. Joyeux Noel, et Bonne Annee 2017 !!!

P.S. La biere, ca rend depresif, c'est scientifiquement prouve. Tandis qu'un verre de rouge, ca rend intelligent et creatif - ce n'est pas une blague...!.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

WillTheWeirdo is living the kind of life I dream of.

11. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Is the award a cracked copy of Cubase 9 LE?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. martel80

martel80 Producer

Merci l'ami.
    Tu as choisi les mots juste !
    Parcontre, je n'ai pas envie de retourner deriere la console....ca me vidais interieurement et jy laissais mon ame rien de moins.

Pour ce qui est de la biere, Ici au canada on a pas la chance d'avoir des bouteille buvable a 5 euro.
    Une bouteille potable cest 15$ pas moins et quand je dit potable....pour toi tu dirais que cest de la piquette !

Je suis tout a fait en etat depressif et jen suis conscient , mais cest pas du a la biere mais plutot au fait qu'on m'empeche de voir mon fils de 2 ans que j'aime plus que tout au monde.
    On me fait du chantage comme quoi il faudrais que je paie quelques 500$ le mois pour avoir le droit de le voir 30 minute par semaine.
    Tu comprendera qu'affronter un Martel sur les bases de ces croyances , ca a été prouver desastreux dans l'histoire et c'est toujours tout aussi veriqdique dans le present si je juge ma prestance et celle de ma famille .

De tout facon, le combat, je l'ai deplacer.....et cest avec moi meme que je le fais....du lever au coucher.....avec comme espoir de revoir un jour mon fils.

13. WillTheWeirdo

I cut Gucci's "The Movie" at Stankonya, in the B room during the fall of 2009. It was a small session with just Gucci, Coach K (Gucci's manager), Chris (Gucci's Engineer), Jazze, Greedy (Jazze's Asst.), D Nix and myself. Warren was the asst on the session, such a great guy.

We had a blast, and Gucci was waaaaayyyy smarter than what I was expecting, as I had never met him before that night. I had an instant connection with Gucci (to everyone in the room's suprise), as he and Rich The Factor were very kool, and when Gucci found out I co-produced Rich's "Bitch Quit Callin", it was a wrap as soon as he pulled out his phone and played it, lol. With that I had instant kool points and respect, which is important at that level, as I was the only unknown person in the room to Gucci. Wakka was in A that night with John, but would drop in from time to time checking in on us, lol. It was a 14 hour session. Only bad part was when the album dropped I was not credited, which pissed me off, as in the end credits are the only thing most Engineers walk away with.

Wrong or missing credits are a common problem for Engineers in the biz unfortunately. You can fight it, because we always have the session reports, but the labels don't really care, so it's always an uphill battle.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  14. WillTheWeirdo

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words, I've worked very hard and have been blessed to do the one thing that I always wanted to do.
    It's a pleasure to be on AZ, I love talking music and gear with other like minded people music lovers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. WillTheWeirdo

Not really..... when you work in the biz, you realize there are many levels of success and there is always someone better or more successful than you. So you stay focused on your goals, work hard, leave the drugs alone and stay humble, as every day you get to do your dream job is a blessing.

This is going to turn into the biggest blessing thread lol!!!

• Winner x 2
    • Love it! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • List
  16. martel80

martel80 Producer

Amen

17. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Well... I successfully had Justin Bieber shot. That's a role in popular music. :shalom:

18. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I've collaborated with different artists around the world. Not gonna get started on which ones but quite a few of them are from this forum. I never hit it big & I never will.
    On another note, when I listen to my older music I can clearly hear the improvement.
    Like this one:
    It is from 2013. It sucks. But look at how many plays it has.

On the other hand, I used to be a sound guy for some of the local bands at my local music festivals when I lived in northern-eastern Massachusetts. I did pretty good & got paid some pretty good money for an 18 year old chum trying to get off of my parents' nerves before they kill me.
    When I lived at the beach, I lived on the same street as a music hall. I helped with the live setups & everything & there were some big name artists I had to prepare the stage for:
    Owl City, Howie Day, Collective Soul, Avril Lavigne, 10,000 maniacs, Plain White T's, Parachute, and many more. I got to meet all of them. I must say that I am a huge fan of Owl City, so I nearly died when I found out he was in my town, ON MY STREET. It was an amazing experience but I had to cease all of it because I moved. I was only 20 years old at the time so it was even more big of a deal to me.

19. martel80

martel80 Producer

I'm sure you have great memories of that time and it will stay with you all your life.
    Good job Impressive, Keep on doing your things !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. WillTheWeirdo

I've got a Bieber story of my own I can tell if there is interest.

21. seriousofficial

seriousofficial Producer

I'm sure it's pretty much gonna add up to JB being a very hard working singer and musician?