Any devs here? I have a neat idea

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by iluvhiphop, Jul 27, 2019.

1. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

Hi boys.

I am pretty tired of sampling from youtube because it just involves so many steps to get the audio into your daw. You can convert to videos to MP3, or you can setup audiorecording and so on, so it's not hard to do, but it's tiresome.

So I had this idea. A youtube browser, in plugin-format. The plugin is an instrument so to speak, and videos can be converted in real time, so you are essentially streaming audio into your DAW. I know it's possible. Why isn't it done? If this is within anyones capabilities, by all means, make it and earn a fortune, but send a copy my way.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

Copyright!?

4. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Because it violates both YouTube's Terms of Service and copyright. If anyone attempted making a plugin like this, at very best they would get a notice to take the entire thing down immediately, at worst they would be legal actions involved, including music labels coming at them to give the profit they supposedly lost because of the tool.

Also, technically it's not possible to download just audio from YouTube, you have to wait for the entire video to load and then remove the video part and save as audio.

Two more things:
    - YouTube audio quality is not the best anyway, especially if the video isn't 1080p or at least 720p
    - there are already plugins for other websites like freesound.org

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

@Qrchack agreed when it comes to copyright, but this
    isn't correct. Just copy a YT vid link to JDownloader and you'll see.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  6. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

Let's put the legal stuff aside - it doesn't matter.

You're right, youtube doesn't just send the audio. Luckily, a video will load in a second and converting it can also be done in mere seconds.
    Youtube is great for samples. Everybody uses it. Never heard of freesound.

7. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

What about it?

8. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Of course YT also sends just audio.. just try to press play and close your eyes..;)

Jokes aside - setup the routing so that (e.g.) your DAW captures your browser audio ..realtime. (like loopback) :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. CDLF

CDLF Ultrasonic

It makes it wasteful to create such plugin. You'd probably end up with nothing but legal troubles and possible compensation claims. Plugin would not really serve many legal use cases.

Furthermore, it might not be that profitable because target audience is probably not interested in spending much money.

10. No Avenger

Err, this depends, just try to upload a copied and copyright protected content to SC...

:no:

Well, at least I did - and used it. Just google for samples and add the word 'free' to the query...

11. No Avenger

Using YT content, released content in general, normally violates copyright and right of publication.

12. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

no avanager method,yt firefox addons since years but they vanishing often but then comes a new one(at this times i got no mp3 download button but mp4 but i wouldnt wonder if such option pops up again), special aggressive downloaders:mad:..scripts can do that...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    i kno a site who mirrors all yt in 320mp3

i think he knows and alter it , like the rest of us
    but you are right yt copyright law is getting pushed thru harder in future...

but i heared often , get stuff cleared is not a big thing , e.g vinyl (i loved to have a pile of old motown records)
    but youtube is gone be a bitch for sure

---
    find a guy on github or elsewhere who writes it for you , maybe you find one who lives in low level wages country which is glad to make 50 or 100 money or so

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  13. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

do what you want. If you make money, let oily lawyers sort it out. No one is going to notice unless you get into SoundCloud alogorithms. Unless you make any money, you can use it however you want. Just don't sample my shit. lol---
    -

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Well, yes, it's doable, but...

Streaming video/audio is an inherently asynchronous affair (think buffers and such), so streaming it to a strictly synchronous format is a world of pain, not to mention how do you then cope with variables in latency and so on.

Then to make use of a sample, you'll need to edit it, set loop markers and whatnot, and then you'll just be better off using the audio in a proper audio editor.

Edit: And oh, seconding JDownloader for fetching YT audio.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

It does matter. The fact that you don't care doesn't mean somebody will risk their butt being kicked for you to have fun. If you've never heard of freesound, maybe you should?

Really, you hiphop guys are a touch ignorant usually. People care about copyright and you should too if you don't want trouble coming your way. What's so hard about making your own music?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  16. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

ClipGrab ftw ;)

Besides that there are various places where you can browse and buy/get musical elements and loops legally. The latest Maschine update has build-in support for sounds.com I think, which you can browse right from within the app.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  17. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Plugin Boutique make Radio, which is essentially the same idea, its a VST plugin that grabs radio streams. I guess the idea is not illegal its what you do with it that counts.

Edit: and if you think it will actually make you enough money to cover the cost of development.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Lmfao. Dude! Is that your neat idea? Even if you disregard copyright, you still can implement the same idea with something like audacity!

19. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

Okay, too many comments to respond to at this point. I cannot have a conversation directly with all of you, I don't have that kind of time. But short answer: I don't give a crap about copyright. If you're offended about that, then I am sorry.

On the bright side, I avoid running into problems by pretty much never sampling anything (or releasing any music at all). But when I sample, i go to youtube. Need a car sound effect? Find a video of some rich son of a bitch driving a ferrari. Need a couple of guitar chords? Search for ibanez, and sort by newest videos. You'll get some dude reviewing a guitar. Maybe he'll play you that a-minor you need.

A lot of people like to sample obscure old italian library music. Or old soviet folksongs. Guess where the biggest collection of that is. Youtube. Youtube is a treasuretrove. Is it okay to sample? I would say it depends on what is sampled and how recognizable it is, but that's another topic that I don't want to get into. This is about making an easier way of doing something that thousands of people are already doing. They way people do it now is one of 2 ways:

1) Recording your audio output. It takes too long.
    2) Using a downloader. Faster, but you have to open your browser, find something on youtube, copy the link, open the app, paste the link, download the file, choose somewhere to save it, open finder/explorer, navigate to the file, drag to file to your daw.

By having a youtube browser in VST format you would simply open a video, click the "steal this shit" button, and boom. Audio from the video is instantly converted and put onto a track in your daw. No extra steps needed.

If you don't like the idea it's okay. Maybe in a year, some dude will see this and make it, and the world will be a better place ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Moms_little_pirate

Moms_little_pirate Kapellmeister

In Reaper I just change from ASIO to Wasapi and hit the record button. Two clicks to steal any system sound, but I wouldn't mind if YouTube was better integrated so that I didn't have to constantly switch between the DAW and browser window.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  21. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

youtube quality is rather garbage,
    FreeRapid Downloader can download directly anyway

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List