Any DAWs on sister site supporting Dolby Atmos?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by SomebodyIsHere, Feb 12, 2020.

1. SomebodyIsHere

SomebodyIsHere Ultrasonic

Hi,
    Is there any DAW(Proper release which works) available on sister site supporting Dolby Atmos?
    I know that Pro Tools 12.3 & 12.5 do not support Dolby atmos.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@SomebodyIsHere Nuendo does too, however, simply having a DAW that claims to support Atmos format is only half the story. The crucial question is: What is it that you are trying to render as a .atmos file. That is important in order to decide whether you need to avail yourself of the Dolby Mastering Unit (RMU). There are currently 2 different RMUs, the Dolby RMU for theatrical applications and the Dolby/Dell RMU for near field (home theater), designed for Blu-ray, digital delivery (streaming) and VR content. These are not interchangeable. Moreover, if you had in mind "theatrical' mixing or scoring, your studio must be Dolby Certified. While Live and Nuendo support Atmos panning, they do so without the Dolby RMU, therefore, they are limited in several aspects including OBP or object based panning. Finally as a side note I would add that there is also The Dolby Atmos Production Suite. The DAPS is a collection of post product tools allowing professionals to work with content in the Dolby Atmos format. Avid Pro Tools users can use it as a complete, in-the-box solution for working with Atmos, allowing monitoring of content without the need for an external Dolby Rendering and Mastering Unit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. SomebodyIsHere

Thanks for reply. I have tested Nuendo 8 & 10 on sister site but the surroundpanner does not show up. It seems it has not been patched properly. Only blackscreen when I open surroundpan. Only thing that works is AnyMixPro and Anymixpro does not support atmos.
    Could you please tell me how you got Nuendo working with Atmos?

6. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I run Atmos in Pro Tools. I do know for a fact that Nuendo does what I explained above because Dolby states as much on its website. Have you tried the plugin VST Multipanner?

7. SomebodyIsHere

Well I discovered a crazy thing.
    There is a release on sister site titled, Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5. and Nuendo 10 installers (Beta) - Win.
    The mentioned release is the best release among the releases available on sister site. However, the Multipanner VST does not work in this release. A black box appears. Mixconvert in the above release does not work! Control room section of Cubase and Nuendo is fuc*ed up!
    There is another release on sister site titled, Steinberg Cubase Pro v10.0.40 x64 WiN TEAM DC RC3-AUDiOZ.
    In this release, Multipanner works! Control room works properly.
    What I did? There is a VST3 folder in Nuendo 10 installation folder, the first release I mentioned above. I copied the surroundpanner.vst3 and other similar plugins of the second release to the vst3 folder of first release!
    Loaded Nuendo 10 DC again. Now, Multipanner works, dolby atmos, ambisonic panner works. Literally everything works so far.
    @The Pirate Honestly, I tried to contact MONO and other guys working on the project to report this. However, I could not reach them. In addition, the comment section of posts above is full of misleading comments saying things which are useless.
    If you can somehow contact these guys and report this issue regarding their releases, it would be appreciated and people can benefit from it.

8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

The OP may just be trying to get into Atmos, regardless of OBA & certification. The cruicial question now is whether or not Nuendo can export a Atmos master without a RMU. BTW, I'm almost sure if you want WEB/BD delivery, you will need DAPS to do some conversions.

Is there a specific reason you NEED Atmos? If you're just wanting to play around with 3D sound & speakers, you can do so without proprietary formats, free ambisonics suites for other DAWs has done so for years & I created my own 15.1 suite. None of that complex hardware workflow.

9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Bro sometimes you ask the OP a question for a good reason, and can't get no answers. The OPs just keep on throwing questions without answering yours question. In Nuendo Object-based mixing for Atmos requires a connection to a RMU. BTW, you should post your Suite on sister site or open a thread hear explaining it and helping others with install.

10. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I will forward your comment to everyone that has been involved with the project. @mono is pretty good at replying back to you without delay. If he or anyone else have not answered your messages it is because they are busy. Sometimes we all get overflowed with other matters and cant be here.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  11. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

As your situation changes, older questions become irrelevant.

My suite is quite rudimentary & has no UI (REAPER JSFX) so I feel it's not suitable for AZ. It's for serious , or desperate people only.

Yeah but what about export?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Nice find! Step by step we are going to iCock Cubendo's protection ass :rofl:
    Ok, I'm half-high drunk. Going to bed....

13. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I thought this old question had become irrelevant.

Nevertheless, the answer to the question is "YES"

14. gnuplac

gnuplac Member

Very interesting post.

Have N10 working with Multipanner, many Synth-Tracks with 3D Panning Automation and 3D-Reverbs on a 7.1.4 speaker layout. Problem is, can't reproduce this setup after having messed around with C10, N10, copy&paste files, hacks and stuff. With a simple change, you can get even C10 to do some Atmos stuff. Works but not fluent.

Can export 12 discrete WAV-Files. After that, my flow ends. Can't get it encoded into Atmos to play audio on e.g. a BR-Player to the AVR. Would need RMU ($$$) or DAPS (as @The Pirate stated) or some other solution.

Analyzed an original Atmos Audio demo track from BR. A 7.1.4 track has 6x Stereo-Wavs in 24-bit. Looks like they use a Steganography approach for encoding 3D Audio. The two to (or more) LSB in 24-Bit Wav carry the top/bottom parameter. Was so far not able to understand the pattern and how PCM data for two speakers (top and bottom) is encoded into one wav without losing too much quality (resolution).

Would love to get the backend of the flow completed at little-$$.

15. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

16. gnuplac

gnuplac Member

Am using the stuff posted on sister side eof last year.