Any budget vocal microphone recommendations?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Bunford, Aug 28, 2023.

1. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

2. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Where? I buy one of those at that price. Those babies run in the $40k to $50+k. Some of them in the $100k. They are nice sounding consoles as long as you dont push the mix bus too much as you would do on a SSL G Series. The 8024 were designed by the founders of DDA. No mickey mouse shit here. In sum,those preamps are decent. While there are many better options out there, you can't go wrong with the ones from the 8024.

3. SpyFx ✪ ✓

SpyFx ✪ ✓ Audiosexual

^
    Hello @Bunford :bow:
    If this is your situation for now I would suggest to get a Shure Sm58.
    You can't go wrong with this mic at $100,make sure you buy from an authorized dealer/reseller though,as there are a lot of sm58 counterfeits out there.
    Not only this mic sounds great for the home studio, but it will hold its value, if in the future you will want to sell it & upgrade to something more expensive :wink: :bow: :

Now if you save some money go for the Shure SM7B :wink: :bow::

Worth considering if you move upwards the $100 budget,to something more expensive are Aston mics both the Origin & Spirit models :bow: :

If you think that in the future you will make tracks that are heavily invested around vocals/vocal productions, then save some money and get a $1000 + mic as a good Neumann or AKG :wink: :bow:

Last but not least if you go buying a used mic I suggest getting the original Blue Spark (that is if you can find one, stay away from the current Blue Spark new line) :wink: :bow::

What ever mic you choose for your studio & if you're working ITB,here is a suggested SpyFx vocal chain :
    In series :
    Gater plug in -> De-esser > Eq -> compression _> Delay of your choice _> Reverb of your choice :bow:
    ^
    Mix this bus in parallel with compression & chorus.

Hope the above info helps you a bit ,take care :wink: :bow:

4. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

Behringer C-1 , very good condenser mic. I dont have any acoustic treatment but, i push a 1/4 of gain from the audio card, and from the DAW push it more with some tool ( studio one in my case, mixtool; ableton, utility... etc) ... just, beautifull.

5. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Love this. Granted there's probably some processing/compression at play, but good to hear the different mic's solo and in context and back to back to compare. Based on this, so a cheap mic, the Behringer C1 may be an option but clearly lacks low end and gets a bit brittle/clippy up top compared to the pricier ones, but may be good enough for my needs. I was quite impressed with how the SE X1S holds up against the 3.5k microphones in this list too, so may consider if I can find one cheap!

That Telefunken U47 blows everything out of the water to my ears though! :woot::yes:

7. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

There's many good Mid low focused LDC U47 clone and alike avail that are affordable if that's what you're after.

The WA-47jr and Roswell K47 comes to mind. both under 400$.

Definitely worth digging up infos and make your choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Thanks but I seen those already. The first one is not the HE. The second one, like the first one, can't be shipped out. That is a nice console. A lot of console for that price. If you hire a freight company to transport it, it is going to be expensive. Plus, you are losing the Reverb protection, and on top of that I am not sure if one must pay the import duties on it too. Here in the USA you can't find a console like that 36 channel HE used. If you wish to purchase one, you have to buy it new in the $40+ People hold on to new consoles unless they want to upgrade or run into financial hardship. BTW, that HE to a big depreciation hit. Almost 50% in just 6 years. Fuck...but unless it is an old Neve, or some other rare console, consoles do not go up in value.

9. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

@The Pirate , don't worry, if you buy it new they will charge you for the shipping as well. You just save 20K$ by going to the UK yourself and monitoring the Crate ( or concert piano ) shipping company that will ship it to the US. It will cost you about the same price as they would charge you if you bought it new as Audient is a UK based company. Plus who need protection when you're on the spot and can take all the time you need to test it before putting the money out. Just like any console that is. And the shipping company will obviously make sure you are insured before moving it.

10. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Not necessarily so. I just ordered the new SSL System T and this is what they included
    With that said, if I were find a similarly priced 8024 here in the states, I would pull the trigger, to replace a Matrix 2 I have. A new Matrix 2 will cost almost as much as, or even more than that used 8024, and the 8024 is a "real" console. The Matrix it is not. Just the patchbay configuration on a Matrix will run you in the $4k-$7k. And you have to bring your own outboard gear. By the way, how did we ended up talking about consoles on a cheap mic thread? :hahaha: We can continue this topic on DM.