Any budget vocal microphone recommendations?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Bunford, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Try running it through an SSL E or G then a 1176 for starters. Then maybe a plate or hall reverb depending on what your going for.
    As the saying goes, a poor tradesman blames their tools.:yes:

2. clone

clone Audiosexual

If you are making music with Vocals, usually the Vocal is one of the most important "instruments" in the song/track. You would think someone would consider the Vocal parts as important, or more; than any single keyboard or synth they have used in the song. Click the Spoiler button in his signature and see if you still think 700$ is a real stretch of the imagination for a mic.

3. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

What fit best , fit best.

The ''best mic'' for every situation doesn't exist.

You wouldn't need a mic with an detailed body if you need to cut it out of your end result.

So the SM58 is a great mic if you know how to handle it.

The SM7B is nothing special on it's own, yet, the king of Pop used it in most of his hit record.

upload_2023-8-28_21-9-26.jpeg

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

?.......m

5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Aren't you capable of realizing that @Bunford never stated what he considers cheap. I suggested the United Twin 87 because at $699 new, I will consider it cheap. Indeed, it is not even a mid price mic. Since you suggested buying one for him, why don't you do it? Go ahead, buy him one. Put your money where your mouth is bro. People here are simply trying to help @Bunford with whatever they think it is a decent cheap mic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

No no, I do get your point, the kind of sound sculpting and shaping you can do now to polish, shall we say, average sounds is pretty mind boggling these days.

7. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Exactly my point.:yes:

8. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

That it can be the best choice for you to use the SM58 and I don't know why someone should doubt it. It's a great mic.

9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Sorry, I got it- that was me being lazy after screwing up a post... we really need a delete button!

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

The most common microphone I see currently being used by vocalists who do bring their own microphone to their sessions, or for stuff like Splice sample pack creation is the Warm WA-87. You could consider it one of the more expensive "budget microphones" or almost "entry level" for studio grade mics for vocalists. It's the same price as the United. It doesn't matter at all what you can do with the files, if that is what they want to use or pay for. Try to tell a singer to not use the microphone they have brought with them because you are a true wizard with fx on an SM-57 and see what their reaction is like.

11. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I'd be thinking about a hi-quality mic pre to exploit the full potential of the circuits and capsules of your mics. Good start of an excellent front-end for vox and keys, guitars, etc.

12. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

He didn't specify a specific price range, and you wanna reprimand people who are providing value? I spent months researching to find the companies i posted, and they're all great value for money. If there's no specified budget, then i'm gonna call "value for money" cheap

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. blackmoon

blackmoon Kapellmeister

Senny e series (935.45.65) are great for live mixes and recording as is the SM7b of course.

14. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

I've had pretty good results with a X1 S from sE Electronics. Recently upgraded to a Neumann TLM102 and couldn't be happier.

15. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I do actually have an older Sennheiser e835 (I think), which is what I've been using, but was just wondering if there are any better budget options out there as it's not giving me what I need (probably because of the unrealistic expectations in my head :rofl:).

16. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

A bit of a crazy cheap option, but seen a few places recommend this one as a bit of a hidden gem, which apparently is a kind of clone of the Rode NT-1:

17. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

That is the epitome of cheap. Bro, I have heard all those Marantz mics, and they do sound like crap from its cheapest one to the more costly one. Honestly, I don't know how the 1000 can be a hidden gem to some. Stay away from all Marantz mics. With that said, a mic choice is a very personal thing. Therefore, you should try it before you buy it. Relying on reviewers' opinions can be unreliable. Specially when some of them get paid per review. Others get freebies by writing whatever the manufacturer or distributor wants.
    By the way, those Marantz look like ISK mics. Maybe they are the same mic rebranded.

18. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Having a hi quality pre amp is always a must. However, a high quality vocal front end starts with a good vocalist, and a quality mic, and similarly for any other. In other words, we can't expect an Audio Scape Golden 58 pre make your Marantz 1000 sound like a Neumann 87. The soud will improve but that cheap circuitry and capsule in the middle still will be there affecting the end result.

19. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I use an Audient ID14 MKII as my audio interface at home, so that will provide the preamp, which I believe are Audient Console grade Class A preamps as found in the Audient ASP8024-HE console, which is like a $20-25k console (but price obviously doesn't mean it's any good :rofl:).

20. blackmoon

blackmoon Kapellmeister

The Golden Age Projects Mics might be a consideration? I'm miced up but almost grabbed one lol.