Any After Effects gurus here?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RMorgan, Jan 12, 2021.

1. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Hey guys,

I hope you're all doing fine.

Well, I'm a graphic and industrial designer, but never got to learn motion graphics properly, except for some amateurish adventures here and there.

Some of my clients have been asking for short videos, mostly for Instagram, and well, I need to learn the tools, otherwise they'll take their money somewhere else.

My main focus will be to make really creative, graphic design centered videos, not just the usual filming/editing stuff.

I want to be more on the conceptual, trippy, artsy side of things, you know.

So, I guess After Effects is the best choice? Any better alternatives?

Anyway, maybe some of you guys could point me in the direction of good tutorials and resources that would help me out?

I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

M.

3. Polomo

Polomo Guest

There is also Blender and Fusion
    Both are kind of Free (Fusion in Davinci Resolve is Free and the Premium Features are nice to have but in 9/10 not needed )

Hitfilm is also a solution If you have the time, Wait for a Humble Bundle Sale (Something like this :
    https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/9414-humble-bundle-filmmakers-inc-hitfilm-pro-141/)

And of course there are the real tools like Boris FX (Plugin) ,
    Mocha and Nuke

https://www.skillshare.com/browse/animation?via=header

Take the 7 Days free trial (maybe if you can get there are nearly always 30-60 Days ) (Something like
    https://travelfree.info/skillshare-discount-2-months-free/)

And Than Downloadhelper as an extension . With this you can make every Video Offline Watchable

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

After Effects is the standard software for graphic design and I believe the best choice for you to learn, but you'll also need extra plugins and scripts, like Red Giant, Sapphire, etc. Which software do you use for editing?

For beginners I find Linda.com (Top left => Library => After Effects) a good place to start.

Some examples (videos) from what you plan to do would be helpful.

5. AbsoluteMadLad

AbsoluteMadLad Ultrasonic

cinema 4d shines at motion graphics

6. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Yeah, I've been working with Adobe software, mostly PS and AI, for almost two decades now, so After Effects makes sense, since they all share a similar interface, workflow and communicate with each other.

As for 3D software, I already master MODO, so learning another one, like C4D, is out of question for now. These things take a long time to master...Migrating 3D software can be extremely annoying...I'm looking forward to learning Blender somewhere in the future, though; The new version is looking awesome, and it's free, so...

As for the style of videos I intend to make, I don't know man, I just want to be creative, make crazy stuff. lol

Thanks for the tips so far, guys. You're the best.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  7. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

Of course you`ll find plenty of those (tutorials, software, scripts) in sites like our sister site, but for video software...

Happy learning!

8. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

C4D and AE together. Your best choice for organic, textured, looped and conceptual Mographs

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. beluga_man

beluga_man Ultrasonic

I've been learning AE during the pandemic. I took a course on Domestika which is a tutorial portal similar to Skillshare but from Spanish speaking artists mainly but much more polished production level tutorials (there are classes in English and other languages, they all have CC in various languages too). Have a look you'll see it's a super creative and inspiring community. For me, I don't mind reading sub-titles I just want to learn from the best. It's cheap too I bought this class for US$20
    https://www.domestika.org/en/courses/333-animated-collage-with-adobe-after-effects
    The instructor did this Green Day music video animating and combining 2D images and film footage all in AE
    https://www.miraruido.com/portfolio/green-day-too-dumb-to-die/
    You get to learn the techniques and approach to create this kind of 3D animation which you can then apply and use with your own content.

10. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Thanks man,

This is actually exactly what I need right now.

I've already designed very interesting 2d elements for a client (a canned mushroom brand), so it's all there to make some kind of psychedelic/surrealist collage animation.

Already downloaded the course, by the way.

Thanks!

11. beluga_man

beluga_man Ultrasonic

Happy to help! Have fun!

12. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

There is a software called Hitfilm Express" it is free to use and has many features like After Effects. It also supports OFX-plugins.
    https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express
    For some more features like VFX or 3D, you will have to buy some add-ons, but they are quite affordable.

There are also a lot of training tutorials on the site,might have a look.