Another song, need your advice

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by JTSD, Sep 5, 2021.

1. JTSD

JTSD Producer

Would really like mixing and structure advice, what am I doing wrong - how can I improve ..

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @JTSD, the voice is about 1 meter in front of the left box. From minute 1:52 a new instrument is added, until 2:08, which triggers quickly, sounds like a pot and does not go with it. Piano is good but could be stronger. Maybe a little less reverb. At the end of the song, you could let it end a little longer, maybe 2 seconds more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. zzax

zzax Newbie

Hi @JTSD, the rhythm of the girl's voice is really strange as she is either very late or very forward...
    BR Zzax

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. muaB

muaB Producer

some really interesting chords and programming!!

id say learn about classic song structure and i can recommend you a book
    https://www.amazon.de/Addiction-For...rds=songwriting&qid=1590442696&s=books&sr=1-8

so basically its the song logic, like for example you have these crazy avici like piano chords which are sick and interesting, and they build up massive hype but they result in just the same loop as before, which is a major let down.

so thats the way how you do it:
    first of all, draw the structure of your track on a paper. and be clear on where you want to lead the listener.

EG:
    Intro - verse - crazy chords break - buildup (4 bars) - main riff with the crazy chords but with fat beat (16 bars) - little break with just piano chords - verse 2 - crazy chords but little bit different - crazy buildup - 1 bar cowbell - main chorus ...- just beat- out-.

6. defhouse

defhouse Newbie

Try cutting the SIDE area below 180~250hz with MID/SIDE EQ.

7. civilizedproducer

civilizedproducer Member

at 0:59, is that section meant to be a drop? cause it sounds like a buildup (including the section that comes after that with the soaring chords) to the drop to me. also you could try tape stopping the lead every half bar, i feel like it will add ear candy to the lead melody. and the vocals sound a little off time sometimes in the song, and i'm not really digging the monotonous singing of phrases (e.g. the "just one hit" phrase).

8. JTSD

JTSD Producer

@everyone

Thanks to all that have listened and commented. Seems to be a great spread of opinions that I have to consider selectively. My intention has never been to produce "mainstream" genre music that fits into a mainstream "genre specific template", but to record something that I enjoy during and after the production process stages. I am not looking to produce a hit-song, but a song that I enjoy the process of creating, despite the production flaws, also interested of suggestions on how to improve the song without advanced theoretical considerations. The result might not please everyone that considers following a genre template is a better approach for music production. Actually, I have zero song/genre template-knowledge and are way too old to learn. I am recording songs just for fun, outcome is depending on mood and what song Im working on and of course my own capability as a music producer.

But everytime I re-listen to one of my own productions, I can hear ways to improve them and your contribute to that insight with you comments.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

The vocals aren't following the rhythm faithfully until you had those synth stabs after those mainroom synth riffs. The drums could have been more interesting and original. Other than that I don't think I can add any more. It's not really my style so that's all I noticed.

I was going to say you should have more structure and bring back other parts again in a mainroom way which I thought you were going for but if you're going for a less traditional arrangement I didn't think it was necessary to mention since that's not what you wanted when you commented.