Another fuckup, this time in Ableton...

Discussion in 'Live' started by spacetime, Jan 31, 2018.

1. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

after pulling an allnighter i had a special moment of dimmness

I saved a shitty project over my default project, on which i have been working on since last year

So did i just delete my favourite song forever or can i recover old default sets in Ableton?

Fk

3. Herr Tony

Herr Tony Producer

4. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

You wont want to hear this, but overwriting a project with a new one, will cancel out the old one completely, and leave you just with the new one. I'm very sorry!

5. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

i always create a "backup default set"

6. Milton Vega

Milton Vega Noisemaker

It's really tragic, the same thing happened to me the last week with Reaper, my favorite

Try recover with EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard o Recuva, with that you have possibilities, I did not have it:wink:

7. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Will help when you've deleted something, but certainly not after overwriting an existing one.

8. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

Game over dude! But don't get mad! Spend your time to create same thing or very similar from scratch rather than recover it by installing software, in your case you have less than 1% to succeed. At the end the process will "kill" your creativity and patience! Music is in You and your mind not in Ableton. The new project will be even better , i've been there too i know_ i know, my two-cents

9. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

sad for you, but Peter Krav philosophy is :like:

10. foster911

foster911 Guest

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Nothing I can say now to help you, but an idea to consider for the future: within my project folder I usually have about 4-5 iterations of the current project that I rotate through. If I'm working on version 1, when I make a significant change I save it to version 2. Next significant change, save to version 3, and so on. If I'm going to delete and/or freeze and flatten a track, I create a "save for later" folder inside the Current Project folder and I drag those tracks into it first so if I need to go back for any reason I'm good.

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

If you are on windows, you basically just go that project folder and if you havent renamed it, you can reverse it. ( if you did rename it recently, then rename it with the old name you used for the project).
    Right click on your folder, choose previous versions and roll it back to the desired date.
    It may work. I saved very important data for someone who actually deleted that folder and i basically created a new folder, gave it the same name and rolled it back, it worked.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  13. spacetime

That did it, had a project file crashing just 10 days ago. Since i forcefully shutdown Live when i shutdown w7

Interestingly there are also template and undo files in there, for whatever the reason

Pretty great professional feature i must say! Did lose some data but meh

And thanks to Audiosex community for knowing everything

I was doing that for years when i was working on media design

But saving times for ableton are much longer and project files way bigger. So i kept myself from bringing that habit over

For now i have to learn to set up my cloud storage better and autobackup certain folders, until i buy some new machine or major ssd upgrades.
    I did fuckup really bad last year when i deleted some almost finished songs by using the "move" command in windows for a few gigs, do not do that

Must find a good cloud setup now

14. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Hey man, do whatever suits your needs, but for me personally, neither of those are anywhere close to being a good reason to not have a safe number of backups.

Lucky/Unlucky for you, depending on how you look at it, Live 10 autosaves backups.

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

(As Cav Emp says) You do have autosaves, don't you?

16. spacetime

dont have the space on my system to save all those huge projects so often, hence the cloud interest

Autosave is a built in in 9?

Live 10 is Life.. no doubt

17. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Yes, 1 or 2 mb is really huge.

18. spacetime

i mostly only work in the default project, otherwise i never ever finish a song

Since i shuffle around my files sometimes i prefer to collect and save all. Given my hardware size it is difficult to satisfy a woman properly