Another complete tune

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Torture, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Torture

Torture Newbie

Hi it`s me again...
    I don't want to spam the forum with songs right away, but I really want to get some opinions on
    that one.
    Its a little crazy and not the usual stuff, but I think it`s not a bad style over all.

I realized that there are some problems with soundcloud on that one. Some twitches in the higher frequencies which aren't there in the uploaded file.
    I made it downloadable as a 320kBit/s Version, so you can listen to the Song without those weird art effects.

Again I would really appreciate some feedback and good ideas on how to improve the sound or the general structure of the track.
    Enjoy.

http://soundcloud.com/towa22/stewart-gilligan-mine

3. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

*yes* Hi, here my opinion:

The part starting at 1:30 and 3:00 sounds bit chaotic.
    The whole recording sounds very monophonic.
    Try to add some Stereo effects.
    The Bass drum starting from 2:11 or so, sounds distorted.
    It's nice to hear some unconventional music...

Greetings to you and Germany, where i've lived for some years! :thumbsup:

4. Alexander

Alexander Newbie

It sounds like you know your way around loops, which probably is the reason it lacks any kind of harmonic or melodic structure. However, I think the overall structure is well done. The building up and introducing new things. I'd say you could work on what is inside your building blocks and maybe start with writing actual notes.

5. Torture

Torture Newbie

Thank you both for your quick responses.

I sometimes like chaotic parts. I can understand that it`s probably not everyones taste but its fine with me. At least in this track...
    You`re right about the monophonic sound. I don't really know how to handle that the right way, yet. Do you have any advice on effects to use for Stereo widening on single tracks?
    I thought some of the parts in this track are pretty wide, but I always lack this real big stereo feel... don't really know what to do about it! So.. some good tips on that would be much appreciated ;)
    Thanks a lot for the advice on the kick at 2:11...I actually missed that, because it is a little distorted from the start. But that part really sounds more like a clipping/compression issue on the drums.

Except one Hi Hat Loop , wich is used 2 times, there are actually no pre-built loops in this track. Or do you mean that I should vary the loops I build for this song more?
    I`m kinda into repetitive music, if it isn't too overboard. Probably I just don't get what you want to tell me...;)

6. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Lots of rhythmic parts with no leads or melody parts. Are you sure it's complete? I do like the sounds and parts that are there though.

For a great widening trick try a dry source in one side with a 6 msec delay on the other side. Do this with several instruments and check out the feel. Also M S processing will ad more space to the whole mix.

7. rimshooter123

rimshooter123 Noisemaker

Maybe you want too much at once?
    This one starts really groovy. You should have made a minimal or deep house track of it. A nicely tweaked pluck sound for the chord progression, some subtle evolving soundscapes and well placed oneshot sounds to create suspense. Less is more, the old story... *no*
    The harmony and melody thing seems to be the biggest problem. Have a look at the education section. I remember some MacProVideo tutorials in melody and harmony.. :wink:

8. Torture

Torture Newbie

First of all, its not complete:) I probably wouldn't ask for tips and advice if I would think it is perfect as it is.
    I like rhythmic parts and I hadn't had a real good idea for some melody parts for this one yet. I will probably focus a little more on that now.
    At the moment I`m learning sound design, mixing, song structure and all those things while making the tracks. So it is very possible that I think something is finished now, or at least good as it is, but I`ll come back to it a few weeks or month later and add parts, or redo the whole thing!

I will try the tip on widening through the delay on the second track. This could come in handy and is something I haven't thought about yet. I just started using M S processing on individual tracks and the master and I think you can hear it a little more on the other track I`ve posted earlier.
    But i have to look into the whole stereo effect thing a lot more, cause Im not always happy with the results myself. Maybe a little more atmospheric and background sounds will do some wonders...
    I gonna have to do an "all about stereo" session tomorrow...

Thank you for your opinion and helpful tips. Keeps me goin!

Cheers.

9. futureb

futureb Newbie

Greetings old chap, I'm also into repetitive dance music. And for me hands down the best part of the track is 1:44-1:48, you could loop that, put a beat behind it and make a whole track just out of that segment!

10. stensax

stensax Newbie

some part sound wrong, the chords don't match the melodies some times.
    there are really no rules so if it was intentionally it is ok. and it is your song so you can do whatever you want.

11. remix

remix Platinum Record

it would be nice if you started commenting on other peoples tracks rather than just spamming the board with your own stuff!

12. Alexander

Alexander Newbie

Ok, well I got the impression that you had used a lot of loops, since they don't match well. Like Stensax said, some parts sound wrong. This style of music is not the kind where you throw out all the dissonants you can. Unless you really want it to clash I'd suggest you look into the melodies and chords that play together and try to make them more coherent.

13. Torture

Torture Newbie

Ok yeah...now I know what you mean.
    I was going for that chaotic feel and I went overboard on that one. More fitting melodies and more melodic, non rhythmic stuff would be better. But what the hell...I like to experiment.
    The responses are very good for me in order of song structure and elements to put more emphasize on.

And you`re probably right...I tend to make a lot of different loops for one track and sometimes force them together instead of saving them for other productions.
    Thank you very much for pointing that out too.

14. Torture

Torture Newbie

It wasn't my intention to spam the board with my stuff. And I won't!
    I commented on two other tracks an listened to a few others, but I didn't really know what to write about them.
    I will go through some more and definitely write my opinion on the ones I think I can relate to in some way!

Sorry if this bothered you!

15. stensax

stensax Newbie

wtf is that supposed to mean?

16. remix

remix Platinum Record

Whats it got to do with you?

I was talking to the OP and he responded...

17. stensax

stensax Newbie

nothing.
    but you sounded like an asshole. it was just that.
    have a nice day.

18. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

This is a trick I do quite often, and its real easy in ableton because each audio track has a ms delay built in the strip. But, correct me if im wrong. Its my understanding to vary the deleay 1 or 2 msecs from track to track, especially those in the same freq range to help stop any phasing you may create in doing this trick.
    --
    sG

19. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Hi sG, The only time that phase should be a factor is when you are delaying Identical sources. 6 milliseconds should be a large enough delay so as not to induce phase problems. 1 or 2 milliseconds on the same source could have some phasing problems. Maybe making matters worse. I'm not going to do the math, but I am sure someone has a formula for how tight the delays have to be to cause phasing problems. Just to make sure check it in mono or on a phase meter.

By the way thanks for the comment on my music.

20. remix

remix Platinum Record

i have to hold my hands up...

you got me there with that witty retort!

*no*

21. Torture

Torture Newbie

Really nice and easy trick. I`ve tried it on some parts now and it`s very audible and super easy to setup.
    I`m working on a kind of progressive, more ambient tune at the moment, so I combined this technique with MS processing and an LFO, or different effect chain on the panned out tracks. Very nice and bright results!

Thanks for the heads up.