Another audio problem

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by DimChandeliers, Jul 19, 2012.

1. DimChandeliers

DimChandeliers Ultrasonic

Greetings again.

I bought a PC with more CPU and RAM about 3 months ago. I installed my Terratec Phase 22 PCI sound card and was all set to go. Here's the problem:

I'm getting noise when I record audio tracks. The noise can be heard when I have an open track armed to record. The track meter level shows some activity. I test recorded a blank track, with no softsynth or open mic plugged in, and the noise was recorded onto the blank track.

There is no noise when playing older tracks. No noise when I'm on youtube, Rhapsody, etc. I'd describe it as digital noise. A little hiss, a little bit of buzz. Not always steady. Some breaks in the buzz.

3. DimChandeliers

4. DimChandeliers

Re: test track.

I lowered the volume on the synth so you could hear the noise better. The recording does not reflect the actual ratio of noise to synth.

5. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Dim Chandeliers,

I can suppose that your 'Phase 22' is set as default audio device for both your audio stuff (recording sessions in your DAWs,... ) as well as for listen music on YouTube, Rhapsody,... and when playing older tracks, as you write it ?
    In this case, I doubt very much that your 'Phase 22' could be involved in the trouble that you encounter when trying to record audio tracks. Effectively, if your 'Phase 22' could have some internal troubles (broken circuits or chips,... ), you'll get the same trouble (noise) also during the listening, and after your words, it's not the case... So the problem lies elsewhere. *yes*

It could be an electrical problem, but unfortunately I'm not an electrician ! Maybe something related to the 'ground'. Maybe you have too much electrical outlets plugged onto an only unit (multi-outlet) ? This can is some cases generate some 'hum'.
    Another test that you can do is to set an EQ with a full notch at 50Hz (the most part of the World), or at 60Hz (USA), depending of your location and its 'utility frequency' or 'power line frequency', to check if this changes something in your noisy trouble.

[​IMG]
    Set the EQ of the Audio Track (or load an EQ Plug-In) which you plan to record as 'Insert FX' and the first in the chain, in the same fashion that this one depicted in the snapshot. Use preferably a 'Peak Filter', set it at 50Hz or 60Hz depending your geographical location, with the larger Q amount available (to the max), and reduce the gain at the minimum available (usually -12, -18, -24dB). In fact, it must to represent a 'deep notch' as depicted in red.
    This method can, in some cases, attenuate the electrical hum that could be present during your recording processes, and if it's effective, you can guess from where comes your main trouble of noise...

6. deadhenderson

deadhenderson Newbie

Sounds like a ground loop.

7. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

StudiBro555 is the Mother Teressa of Audio with his help across a broad range of problems.

I clicked Thanks even tho I don`t have the problem. :dunno:

Just think he should receive some recognition (which he won`t want!) for ALL of his good work helping folk. :hug:

........... just sayin! :wink:

8. urOk

urOk Member

Same here :mates:

Is good to learn something new, even if the problem does not concern you.

9. steevj

steevj Newbie

10. BlasterM

BlasterM Newbie

If it's ground loop, its usually caused when pc is connected to some other devices, such as amp or tv. Finding the actual problem is a hit and miss.. disconnect all devices hooked to pc one by one and listen when hum disappears. For example, I got pc hooked to amp and amp was hooked to tv and there was ground loop caused by tv-antenna socket. Guess it was the last option I tried of million wires hooked to here and there. :rofl: Had to get ground loop isolator for antenna which after hum was all gone. So.. do not count out any possibility.

11. DimChandeliers

I agree pilz and ur0k. I'm not the slickest of forumsters. Didn't notice the Thanks button.

12. DimChandeliers

Thanks BlasterM too. I'm going on vacation for a week. Will check things out when I get back.

Still have soundcard problems too, if anyone wants to check that post.