Annoying VST problem with Premiere

Discussion in 'Working with Video' started by Demon, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Demon

Demon Producer

Hello,

I am using Adobe Premiere -I haven't used it for a little while- and when I launch it it starts reading my VST folder and gets stuck and eventually crashes, so I never even get to open or start a project. Usually it dies while trying to load Kontakt.

I saw on other Adobe forums that Adobe Premiere searches for all VST plugins on startup, but the thing is... I don't use plugins in Premiere. I use plugins in Reaper and Cubase.

One workaround (that works) is to temporarily rename the VST folder to something like "VstPluginsss" or whatever so Premiere doesn't read it. This works, but it means that I have to rename back and forth the folder when I switch from Premiere to Reaper. On the other hand sometimes I may need to have both programs at the same time.

I am wondering, has anyone experienced this and would you know of a solution?

Thanks in advance, AudioSexers.

3. Tasty Laundry

Tasty Laundry Newbie

Hey Demon,
    I don't have any experience with Premiere but I use Reaper as my DAW. You can specify in Reaper which folder to scan for your plugins in the Options-Preferences menu. So maybe you could rename the folder to something that Premiere won't recognize and set that as the default VST folder in Reaper. Just a thought.

Peace,
    Tasty Laundry

4. testkid008

testkid008 Member

I had the same Problem with Sony Vegas Pro. Once I had Vegas successfully started it was possible to change the VST folder that Vegas uses. So I made an empty "dummy VST" folder und took this in Vegas preferences... maybe that is possible with Premiere, too.

5. Demon

Demon Producer

The thing is, I can't find a setting in Premiere to see where VST folders are mapped. They just "show up". I read on the Adobe Premiere site that VSTs get read from the system automatically. Someone mentioned making a "blacklist" txt file, but apparently it buggers your VST linkage in Reaper as well.

Damn.

Man, I thought of that. But I have LOTS of files in the vst folder. I use Reaper as well, and I really want to leave Reaper as it is, because the last time I tried this some patches I had set-up (that obviously went into the Registry) got unlinked and buggered and it was a nightmare to re-install.

Ok, I found a temporary solution on an Adobe thread:

1. Open a command prompt and type the following:
    2. Type: cd c:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins [or whatever folder you use for VSTs]
    3. Type: dir /b > blacklist.txt

This will create a file called "blacklist.txt" with all files (one per line) that Premiere (and the whole Adobe Suite) should ignore.

The annoying thing is that I have to also do this for all subfolders, so I haven't done them all. It was Kontakt that was crashing Premiere

Not a real solution, but hey... it works!

Woohoo!

6. Blister

Blister Newbie

When i have to use premiere i rename my VST folder VST123. Done, no more problems.
    Just remember to re-rename the folder before u start your next Qbaze session.

7. Demon

Demon Producer

That's what I was doing. But I found it extremely annoying. I also use both programs at the same time.

8. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

I work also with premiere pro.
    1st time lunch will crash it (mostly because of NI Reaktor),
    but then, when restarting it opens without crash. it seems premiere learns what vst not to import.
    what I dont like is that all the VSTs are loading - except the 'crashing' ones.
    well, then the mentioned workaround by demon will do the job.

9. Demon

Demon Producer

Have you tried it? I tried tonight. I did it with all the bigger folders (C:\Program Files\VstPlugins and C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugins) I also did it for some other subfolders. So Premiere only loads some VSTs and works fine.

10. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

Isn´t it possible to copy the VST folder, rename it, so you have 2 VST folders, one for your DAW and one for Premiere(only vst´s you realy need)?
    So you can use both programs at the same time?

11. Demon

Demon Producer

No man, tried that. According to the Adobe Forum: When you launch Premiere or Audition it will scan your system looking for VSTs. Then it will create a registry entry so the software knows where to look when you launch it again.

That "blacklist" solution is the only one working for me.

Thanks for checking though!

12. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

Ok, to make 2 VST-Folders and than re-installing Premiere is no option?
    (oh, i oversaw, BY LAUNCHING the software, that´s hard :( )

13. Demon

Demon Producer

Yeah, loads them every bloody time. But, again, that blacklist thing actually works.

14. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I don't load VSTi instruments (why would I?), only VST effects. Works for me.

15. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

just uprade to the new/latest version of Premiere CC and there is an option to disable VST's.

16. Demon

Demon Producer

Oh dude... REALLY??? :wow:

Then I'll stop wasting my time. I am on CS6, but purchasing the CC upgrade in a week! I didn't know this, and about bloody time they made that option available!

THANK YOU!

17. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Love my Adobe CC. Worth every penny.