And Just Like That! My Passion Is Gone!

Discussion in 'Music' started by black.afrika.zulu.x, Dec 15, 2017.

1. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

So, I made about a beat per week for the past 3 months or so...and I've definitely noticed an improvement...but now it's all gone!

I've lost the patience needed to sit in front of a laptop tinkering for hours to get the right sounds!

Maybe it'll come back...but I'm done...sort of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    The musical muse is a bitch. It happens to all of us. I suppose big-name artists and audio industry pros have It worse, having to live up to expectations. At least we are nobodies who can afford to fall off the inspirational wagon. I'm sure you'll get back on your feet before you know it. When we deal with art, mood will inevitable be there to rain in our parade.

Fortunately there's AudiSex to vent our demons out.

Best of luck, friend. Now I'm heading back to work In the real world (or is it actually the Matrix?) Damn.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

no dispair.
    it will pass.
    its only temporary

we all face that moment.

3 is the magic number

reframe your view (on music, what you do now, what you want to do etc.)
    Set a new goal(s)

ask yourself questions ala :
    Why did i start create music to begin with and such questions.

• Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. DJK

DJK Rock Star

happens all the time, me alot due to depression and anxiety, my concentration is bad, so i start a track, lay down the drums/percusion, take a break for a few days, open the project again and lay down the bass,take another break, then add some melody and leave it, then i start to get ideas like making an arp or sub melo0dy using the pads midi, get creative, the mind is a wonderfull thing, but when its bad its bad, so try to make a track over a few weeks, no hurry to complete it in a day, which is what i thought i had to do,now i get great results by following the method i said before, do a bit, leave it, do a bit more, leave it, you will be suprised how creative you can get over a 2 to 4 week production process.

• Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  6. Bobs Ur Unkle

Bobs Ur Unkle Ultrasonic

Happens more often than you think, and happens again and again over time, some times you just feel like Frisbeeing your equipment out the window (you don't) you stop for a week two maybe a month sometimes, then you find yourself sitting in front of your screen, tapping something basic out, it turns into something dope and hey presto your back at it.. trust me a thoroughly tried and tested path..

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. black.afrika.zulu.x

*sigh*

I probably need to rest...and allow new musical ideas to make their way to my consciousness...thanks for the kind words everyone.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. spyfx

spyfx Guest

My advice will be a paradox.
    Step/run away from your music & life situation,state of mind & emotions...never mix the 2(music&life) but always get inspired by whatever happens in your life.
    ALWAYS FINISH YOUR PROJECTS.There is a threshold that when you surpass it(for example the 4-8bar loop/track project),you will always then work faster & with more experience.
    I'm making music since i was a teenager & work since 2003 in the music/film industry in California.
    My philosophy is this : enjoy making music,i live a simple life in a complex environment,what i often do is this :
    observing the sunrise & sunset as often as i can & getting inspired from that,every day it looks different :bow:

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. foster911

foster911 Guest

The major reason for all the depressions, incommodities, etc. and finally leading to desperation is living among people that don't understand your music and don't appreciate it. Never ever post or want people with non-common tastes to listen to your music. :no: :bleh:

That's it. I've learned it from @recycle if I'm not wrong. I don't guarantee any growth but other than that your motivation will be out of harm's way and kept in sanctuary like our hope symbol @Von_Steyr . :mates:

10. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

@black.afrika.zulu.x While at rest, maybe get this book and try run through and grasp only the first chapter. There, maybe you'll find some general taught from an academic point of view that might help to reclaim your once lost creative mind, back in action. (I hope). (if you did read).

take good rest. get well soon :bow:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. black.afrika.zulu.x

Hahaha! I'm not dying, bro. :)
    Thanks for the recommendation. Surely you don't intend for me to rest if you ask me to read a book on philosophy.

(By the way, I think Philosophy died in the 17th century, and then Science took over)

12. black.afrika.zulu.x

Bruh, it's important to get in the ring! Let yourself be punched and learn how to block--perfect your techhnique as it were. I'm not afraid of criticism...I've never heard any criticism that discouraged. It's all helped me to tighten up and get my groove in pocket! I WILL MAKE YOUR HEAD NOD! DAMNIT!

13. Boosire

Boosire Producer

I would say go minimal and as dawless as possible where you actually dont deal with any detail and just focus on the creativity, but you make beats, hip hop and such if i remember correctly, which needs a lot of sound design indeed :/

Maybe an mpc ? finish your songs and just deal with tweakings later ?

14. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Never let Science took over you, as absolute. We never say, 'Music, is science'. Come @black.afrika.zulu.x , come and click on the link i gave you, after you click, and then you do like this step on the picture, the power of art, the book, will come back to you. :bow:

[​IMG]

15. daddytang

daddytang Producer

One of the best things ive discovered is to get into a habit of making music. Have a template setup in your DAW and just sit down and do it. It becomes a habit like brushing your teeth. Its just something you do everyday no matter what.

Steven Pressfield's Wat of Art is a great read also.

16. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

I think you are just overthinking things.. everybody does sometimes. The majority of us here would end up in a mental institution without music. At least I would..
    Technically I'd suggest not going so much after sound. Take the most "generic" one possible and just play. In the state of mind you are in right now, everything will probably sound shit to you. No matter what - record, bounce it! Tomorrow it will sound different.. not saying better or worse, but different - that I can assure you. Don't let anything get lost..
    :wink:

17. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Thats something i do too ....

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

So ...a good thing?
    Music I= widgets, more != better; no shortage of music, no reason to force yourself to produce if you don't enjoy the process.
    I like playing with it, taking it apart & putting it back together, like people play with jigsaw puzzles. More like Legos, actually -- don't have to put it back together the same way you found it.

19. Satai

Satai Rock Star

The bottom line is, dealing with this bullshit is part of your job as a producer. If you just lay down and take it everytime this happens, you'll be so behind those who are more wise to the game, that it's not even funny. It's about doing the necessary amount of work to get what you want to get out of it. The necessary amount is not the same as what somebody might on their gut instinct feel is "probably" enough work for today or this month. It's human nature to chicken out way before our true capacities are even fully engaged on the task.

You burned yourself out. Take a couple of proud days off, bask in it. Lay on a bench in the park and smoke all day looking at clouds, whatever does it for you. The more "nature" is involved, the better.

When you're ready to put yourself back together, the most effective thing to do is not about willpower, it's about visualizing your own success in ridiculous amounts of detail. How it will feel, how it will make everythign work, how it will smell even, when you succeed. It needs to be a daily thing, lay around in bed and visualize this. It's weird because it seems like you've done nothing, but you notice with repeat practice that you're unusually inspired the rest of the day, everything's snappy, you're on the right path in your own mind.

Do not lay down and take it!

20. Drumninja

Drumninja Member

Do you play an instrument? How about switching things up and start playing and making beats on a drum kit.

21. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

^Drums = loud, expensive instrument; require hou$e w/basement or practice $pace.