Anathem

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by mrcaze, Oct 25, 2011.

1. mrcaze

mrcaze Newbie

Here's my new work: http://soundcloud.com/re-vibe/re-vibe-anathem-draft-mix

I thinkg I'm getting better at mixing :)

Any comments are welcomed and appreciated :)

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Cool track. Decent sounds/layering. Good progression. I like :grooves: :dancing: :break:

Is is just me or is soundcloud mono? Or maybe my eyes are so used to seeing a wav like that and it makes me hear mono? :dunno:

Keep the beat UP!
    --
    sG

4. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

The piano seemed out of place. You already have several instruments playing the same thing, the piano seemed like overkill. Some variety would be nice. It's basically the same melody throughout the entire track.

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

The mix is pretty good, as u know, not really my genre, but I def. see improvement in ur tracks.

Maybe I should do a 4x4 track, might be fun :rofl: :grooves: :dancing:

sG.. not sure.. I wonder how we would find out?

How the hell do u tell a mono from a stereo track anyway, just by listening? (waveform aside) :dunno:

6. bacon fat

bacon fat Newbie

Just looks mono, but other tracks I've listened to on there are clearly stereo (ex. If you hear something on one speaker and not on the other)... If SoundCloud was only mono it would be a throw back to the 60's, and very primitive and crappy.(No one would use it, probably just there for a rough visual of the song for critiquing purposes)

7. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

The mix sounds not just mono but phase-inverted as well, slightly head crushing.

8. mrcaze

mrcaze Newbie

The mix is in stereo, if listen carefully you will notice for example some stereo delay on vocals.
    It's rather the way the mix is made. The stereo spread in some parts narrows to full mono, then widens again in order to create more dramatic effect.

9. mrcaze

mrcaze Newbie

Just as an example:
    If you listen to the track, notice how at 1:15 the stereo field starts narrowing to almost mono, and then at 1:30 a stereo-wide pulse wave kicks in, which makes it more dramatic. Then at 2:00 stereo field starts to narrow again, gets to almost mono right before the same stereo-wide pulse wave kicks in again.

Of course that technique won't work on mono systems, but I still used other common techniques (filtering, volume changes) in order to add some drama.

10. bacon fat

bacon fat Newbie

You could record your headphone output from Soundcloud (or whatever source) then judge by comparing the left and right wave forms visually.

11. McXProds

McXProds Newbie

one thing i noticed is the synth for the main melody seems too centered, it sounds out of place, you could tweak your widening settings a bit. Oh and i like the heavy kick drum :wink: