Analog noise comin' at ya

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Shiori Oishi, Sep 27, 2024 at 5:51 AM.

1. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Producer

Two unrelated issues on the same session:
    • Audiority's Electric Matter is noisy. This was amplified in the signal chain by Pulsar's Poseidon, which has transformers emulations. The noise was finally cancelled by Fuse Audio Labs' Flywheel magic further down the chain (hiss off, mind you!), everything leaking through a bypassed reverb send. I remained barely sane before finding out why the hell turning a tape emulator on would kill the noise.
    • Roland Cloud's Jupiter 4 emulates the original device's noise from the ensemble circuitry (if you want to use the ensemble, you have to swallow the noise). This noise was softened by Valhalla Delay BBD mode, heaven knows why. Another mystery to be solved in 2024, heyday of the digital audio era.
    Careful what you wish for!

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

I really think that if any vsts model noise and hum from original units they really should give you the option to turn that off. That's one of the things I like about the Kramer Pie compressor.

4. patatern

patatern Rock Star

for me cancelling the noise of those roland choruses is a crime, I got both hardware Juno and JX3P and nothing in the world can beat that chorus, you just have to take care of it

the roland official emulation is pretty decent, just put one of those waves plugins that kill noises, the oldest work with a certain flavour, the newest are more effective but can be tweaked more. Choose the flavour that works best in your situation. Anyhow I never kill it close to zero, it's part of that sound.

if I dont want the noise I just deactivate it and use another chorus, for example AKAI AX73 is nice and vintage and japanese lol :bow:

all developers tryin to emulate those noises use similar samples at similar frequencies because they all try to emulate the same thing lol ok until now? Well. If you put another machine with a similar noise that possibily is in anti-phase you will have the noise cancelled :invision:

as easy as that

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Sometimes you want the "analog" sound, and so you leave it on. But in cases where you just want a nice clean output, it adds either another step or processor on the effect chain; to get rid of something you didn't want there in the first place. Also, the way many developers make plugins sound "more like analog" is the most CPU intensive compared with most other features in that plugin.

Load a few instances and it begins adding up, similar to reverb plugins. That's why we often use sends from multiple channels to a single instance of a reverb plugin. It's not just "glue" or other effect, it is due to resources consumption.

It's not even accurate to do so. Say for example, you have a multi-timbral hardware synth and you create multiple parts on the same synth. Unless that synth actually sends each zone/part on individual outputs, you are summing multiple copies of noise that wouldn't exist in reality.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024 at 9:39 AM
  6. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

[​IMG]

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Noise

It's part of the fun. Sterile recordings of today sound mostly like rubbish

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. ItsFine

ItsFine Rock Star

We got the same "trouble" in photography.
    I don't really care about noise, as long as it is "artistic" noise :wink:
    I sometimes even add "grains" with plugins :rofl:

When the first M43/MFT sensors were out, almost all ppl complained about being small "noisy" sensors.
    But they were really well made, and created "film like" noise ... so real users started to simply "dont care" OR use it on purpose by pushing ISO :rofl:

Not every noise is artistic btw

8. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

...and people complain that modern digital gear (or software for that matter) sounds clean. I add noise and gates just for the fun of it to make things thicker, like @ItsFine said about sensor noise.

I've got an analog BBD delay (actually two different ones) because they just kill the high end but add lovely thickness to just about anything.

Swings and roundabouts, eh?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. patatern

patatern Rock Star

people want the analog sound but dont follow the analog workflow lol

you wrote a great thing: gating all channels is part of that workflow and sound. People want channel strip then dont use it properly. I have the gate on by default on my channel strip plugins

10. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

I'm not saying I might not want the noise for one reason or another, often I do. I'm saying I don't want noise forced upon me. It's my choice, it's my production.

11. patatern

patatern Rock Star

pretty fair. deactivate the chorus : ) the instrument is dead mute (the sound as well lol)

12. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

I shouldn't have to bypass their chorus because it's noisy. :deep_facepalm: that's my point.

13. patatern

patatern Rock Star

i understand that lol but yo dont understand what that chorus is. The original is noisy as hell, and the "noise is part of the sound".

Now, I am not a developer, but I know that in this case "part of the sound" doesnt mean that the coder added the noise like it was in the infamous Waves SSL channel, where we all know that it is an added sample playing in the background. In the case of the roland chorus "the noise" is some kind of modulator that influence the sound. So it's probably wrong even to call it noise. It is some kind of panney-phasey effect that end up sounding like a buzz in the speaker because of the physics of the sound. Not "an added thing to make noise"

It sounds weird if you dont know the original machine, I understand that. And I am probably not that skilled to explaine it, sorry

But if you think that "it's a noise that the developer should cut off in digital" you just didnt understant what it is. Without it the chours wouldnt be the same. It's not "something added randomly" :trolls:

14. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

Chorus is chorus. Noise is noise. No idea what you're on about but that's fine :dunno::wink: