An Apology of sorts

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by kjfarrell, Dec 9, 2016.

1. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

This is my first ever Future Bass track. Don't know a great deal about the genre, so I kinda just made it up. Sorry :P

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • List
  3. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

you're a machine!
    :wink:

4. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Keep on keeping on, kj! Everything sounds nice except the (tuned) snare. Sounds a bit too wood-blockesque. But, y'know, opinions etcs...

5. kjfarrell

Thanks guys :)

6. Genre, schmonrah, stick 'em in the air
    Just spit'nem out in number
    And post'nem for us here

I have nooo idea...
    How Fùture Bass compares
    To The Bass That's Come Befôre
    All I know's the things that do appeal
    The others I dispose

This a keeper
    Lest for me
    Thank you for the spin.
    Superliquid, checking out
    And thank you for the grins.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2016
  7. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Not bad for a fist. I really enjoyed it.
    Nice variations/changes.
    Put a nice lead/vocal and a key change somewhere and you're doing better than most.

8. onekutcha

onekutcha Ultrasonic

Definitely not bad for a first Future Bass track. It has the usual Future bass elements and structure. I would try to implement some trap elements in it that actually makes it even more Future Bass -ish and also be careful with the chord structure especially the one that builds before the drop. Try to listen to a lot Future Bass tracks and carefully analyse the chord structure and especially what kind of chords are used mostly as that is also an important factor of Future Bass. Otherwise, well done!

9. I really like kj's song, truly I do! I did a search on the Web to find the definition of the genre, or sub genre of "Future Base". The answers had no real meaning, and to a one each answer sounded like a reply a politician might make on a Sunday morning television news show, totally vague without true meaning or substance and one in which the interviewer keeps repeating that the question hasn't been answered. Master kjfarrel, what elements of this song deem it Future Bass and not some other form featuring a bass...sincerely I ask.

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@superliquidsunshine Cookie cutter ear candy and I love it!
    Future bass usually is in a major key has all 7th chords, chords are usually saws big and wide. Drums are trap style with layered woody snares/claps, and a lot of foley/found sounds for percs. Leads are usually pitched up vocal clips. Snippets not even whole words most of the time. Heres a recent example from a popular Future Bass artist.

I make music that has future bass elements but I tend to blur the genre lines and use trap and dubstep elements as well. They like to call it hybrid trap. Most future bass is happy and pop/saccharin sounding.
    BUT, like I was saying, and also as I do in my new music, it doesnt have to be.

Theres a few examples of blending the genres, between future bass/trap/dubstep.
    Why Im drawn to it is because of all the melody. It gives me a chance to use complex chords inversions, counter melodies....etc. All the stuff we always had to dumb down in previous EDM genres.
    U been skoolt:wink:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  11. PINIC

PINIC Guest

People who actually think using "CYMATICS" project files would take them places,are horribly mislead.

This project is from cymatics "FL Studio Projects Collection" which was earlier released in "Ableton Projects Collection" which created the controversy.

SHAME on producers who actually just change couple of midis and think that would take them places - as mentioned before

Hear this from 0:40. 100% Cymatics. Just changed midis.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. kjfarrell

13. farao

farao Rock Star

I enjoyed the track. But so much of it came from Cymatics, I am not sure who to thank here. Both I guess. @kjfarrell I think you should give them credit someware. Like co authors or something.

14. adrianwolfe

adrianwolfe Newbie

I just watched this video ( check link below ) and now I'm seeing this. Imho, i've been producing for 5-6 years and I didn't a release a track because Im focusing on improving my skills more and more everyday. Although I'm working with different companies to create different kind of sample packs every month. Sample packs are meant to be used, but to rip off an entire project? Well, some people should go back to youtube and search " how to make X genre please thanks ". Keep your head down and continue to improve than to rip off. In the end, not a quite intelligent move to be "inspired" by Cymatics, everybody is familiar with their work.

15. kjfarrell

Ok ok you got me So consider this the real apology. In fact a few of my last tracks where from Cymatics projects. I wanted to see how well these projects held up, and how long it would take for someone to notice, it took much longer than I expected. I'm sorry if I pissed anyone off, I just wanted to see what would happen and how they actually perform in the real world. I'll take them down in a few days, I'll leave them up for a while so people can decide for themselves just how good they are now that they know.

Interestingly these songs haven't really taken off, I thought they may perform better. There is actually an original song of mine I released in the mix, which is actually performing much worse. I think I need to find a new career path :/

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. @subGENRE .. Future bass usually is in a major key has all 7th chords, chords are usually saws big and wide. Drums are trap style with layered woody snares/claps, and a lot of foley/found sounds for percs. Leads are usually pitched up vocal clips. Snippets not even whole words most of the time.

Got it! Thanks for the lesson, Sensei.

@PINIC .. Cymatics sucks and then you die. I guess they deserve the bad press they have been getting from the community. I personally don't work using other's loops but like to create my own, so I am not educated in the availability and various outfits pushing these construction kits. So, thanks for the info.

17. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

Ok this guy used midi from cymatics and changed the sound. Why you insult him? Personally I can agree using midis from others but to a point. For example you can learn a lot from them, yes you can. You can also take a midi play with it and the final result can be something totally different. It doesn't mean you're a lazy fuck, sometimes you need inspiration. I mean it's the same thing as sampled hip hop, isn't it? And something else, I really don't see the point releasing projects with midis if you don't want ppl to use it. It happens all the time even in high level producers, you never heard a well known producer use a sound from a pack?

18. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I have never and will never use somebody else's midi. That is just straight up cheating/stealing to me. That's nothing like sampling and chopping up a classic sample for a hip hop record. If you think those two are the same thing there is seriously something wrong. If it's what you feel like doing then by all means go for it, but I will never do that. I don't give a fock if the king of the world does it, it doesn't make it right. That's not what you call inspiration. Or maybe you could just learn a little bit of music theory and how to play your instrument like everyone else does. Like the guy who sold the midi in the first place.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  19. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Using other people melodies/chords for inspiration, is totally fine.
    As long as you don't use literally the same melodies or chords.
    And be honest, make a track and use a MIDI I give you for the main melody and bassline. Would you feel it's YOUR track? Or would you feel it's something like "Wonderchild ft Backtired"? I avoid premade MIDIs like plague. Again: using them and maybe changing something a little bit, or adapting them, or using them the same BUT NOT as the main part of your songs, can work. But there's a limit

20. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

The only time that would be acceptable is for a remix.
    If it doesn't feel wrong, then you should just say it in the title like backtired menioned. I made this song using midi from.......
    I never see midi packs mentioned in the credits or the liner notes usually because nobody wants to admit to it until they get caught

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  21. G String

G String Rock Star

lol

Rather than being dishonest for kudos, this was an experiment?