AMD Zen,up to 32 cores on a single socket,8 channel DDR4!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Von_Steyr, Feb 14, 2016.

Tags:
?

Your opinon?

1. AMD can absolutely deliver.

50.8%
  2. I am very skeptical about it.

30.5%
  3. No chance,marketing hype.

8.5%
  4. Pentium wins,now go home and get your f-ing shinebox.

10.2%
  1. martel80

martel80 Producer

2. VirtualMark

VirtualMark Member

Ok, I honestly don't know if you're trolling me, or if you're really this dumb.

Firstly, I said that the group track would have to wait for the outputs from the 3 tracks before it can process them. This is because the OUTPUT of the tracks goes to the INPUT of the group track... do you follow me so far?

Nothing was said about eq settings, that is completely irrelevant. The 3 tracks would be summed into the group track, then the eq and compression would be applied. Do you follow me so far?

And where on earth did you get the idea that I was suggesting that you can have different eq settings on the group for each track? Lol, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! It would be an eq on the group track, processing the sum of the 3 tracks. How did you get so confused?

Honestly, I don't know how much more basic I can go. Which part are you having trouble with? It was supposed to be a very basic outline for a project just to explain a point. I didn't realise that anyone could misinterpret it, lol!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  3. martel80

martel80 Producer

First i dont have him leaving again...he did left AMD last september ....that was the second time he quit.
    I'm not claiming that he left to such detriment...Jim his one of the best Cpu architect. I'm not saying it...he his what he his.
    I dont know shit about Basketball but it seems clear to me that Micheal Jordan is one of the best , no ?

You would need to ask him why he left if ZEN was so undeniably good that it would recover a company in deficit for the last 10 years.

Dont you think its self explanatory ?

4. martel80

martel80 Producer

Lisa Su: Hey Jim, we will win the superbowl next year , want to join us.

Jim: Hey Su, really ? Yeah of course , everyone want to win the superbowl andim the best quaterback....what salary do you offer ?

Lisa Su : Here, take all my money left ( /pass a Fuckin huge stack )

* 2 years pass and Jim see that his teamis about to win the Superbowl

Jim : Hey Lisa !!

Lisa Su : Yeah what is it ?

Jim : Fuck you i dont want to win, im going to smoke a bowl with G-String , I quit. Fuck you bitch , your the best !!

Lisa Su : But but....we are winning the superbowl !!!

5. G String

G String Rock Star

You have him leaving twice: first you said this:

Then you said this:

Also, you now say this:

Whereas earlier you said

That most certainly *is* you claiming Keller's leaving was detrimental to AMD. Irrecoverably so, in your own words. Yet clearly at that time he was at AMD - he had returned to AMD.

So, as he hadn't left, but had in fact returned, how is that supposed to tally with your claim that Keller's leaving meant AMD was never going to recover from his leaving?

It doesn't bother me - I just noticed your inconsistency and the whiff of BS.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@martel80 "His Apple Adventure was like 3 years ago and so the Intel integration in MAC product."
    You probably had to leave it at good manners and accept a simple thank you etc while u had the chance. I am sorry, but for a person who can't spell you certainly claim to have bitten more than you seem able to chew mate. Intel integration in Apple products was announced in 2005. Apple started delivering IntelMacs in 2006, that is ten years ago, and by the end of 2006 all Macs were officially Intel. And this is wikipedia knowledge lol.
    Your talk is inconsistent with a ton of mistakes and irrelevant remarks. Calling names like "kid" and BS this and that when you are 35 is lol dude, i am 50 what should i call you ? Sport ? Nah, i won't indulge in taking your route...
    Your saying about being a Tech2 in AMD had me believe for a second or two you knew what you 're saying. Sadly you brought no scientific evidence on the table or metrics of what you said about Zen but your word spanned across half true/half false facts spanned across a ton of messages like you are sending sms. All who dabble with custom pcs building know the thermal problems of the AMD cpu architecture. I indicated it when i talked about the FX-8350 throttling (after hitting 90+% load with the stock cooler). I may be mistaken but seems to me you were AMD's help line telephonist lol.
    So thanks but no thanks
    Cheers

7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

No offence Martel,but to me it also seems somewhat not believable.
    And the way you write...come on.

For example;
    But There's always a punk somewhere that wish he know about the business but in fact he know jack shit.

Unless AMD looks for Technicians in the vicinity of Rick Ross.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
  8. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Where? Just because someone prefers Intel doesn't mean they're automatically fanboys.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fanboyism
    So you're saying no-one should care for the heat?
    Fanless desktop builders DO care, every watt means 2-3 degrees temperature rise. It's not uncommon to have fanless PC for audio, for obvious reasons.

Otherwise please people, keep the discussion civil and avoid calling anyone stupid. :)

9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@dondada My friend, the difference between the i7 2700k and 6700k is about 25-30% in cpu raw power alone. If you find this negligible, i am sure others such as myself find it significant. This gap only goes wider when dealing with real world DAWs because of the DDR4, especially when you use premium ram at 3000+ mghz. DDR4 brings a modest 2-5% additional boost, mostly where heavy ram load scenarios are implemented (eg. NI Kontakt running multiple multisampled libraries or 100+ fx plugs realtime etc etc). Having said this, i must say the change from ddr3 to ddr4 is not panacea. In my effects plugs tests ddr4 started to show a difference after the 40-50+ fx plugs count (Waves Mercury x64 used for all tests). And because i didn't mention it earlier, my tests were ran using 16gb (2x8) Corsair LPX DDR4 @3000mghz at 2133, 2400, 2666, 2800, 3000 and 3200mghz (oc'd) settings. What martel80 mentions (15% boost from ddr4), i 'm sorry but at least for DAW work its totally false. Last year with my colleagues we did the odd ddr3 2133 vs ddr4 2133 test and it was apparent that ddr3 won 99% of the scenarios hands down, due to the lower latency. So yes ddr4 can scale really high, even 4ghz but your average 2133mghz kits don't bring much excitement to the table, 1% boost or less if you 're upgrading from ddr3 1600.
    Also sorry, but the 1kg cpu coolers are NO myth. I'm a happy "camper" with my Noctuas in the studio that are more silent, even at full cpu load, than any AIO water cooler in the market. The price is steep at 90+ euros but anyone who's serious about silent computing knows this. Your average stock cooler will only be silent until your pass the 30-35% cpu load. From there and beyond all stock coolers become annoying in an otherwise silent studio environment setting.
    Thank you for your time

PS: I agree Intel has been messing with some benchmarks, and i want to add they have let one too many times bugs in their cpus & chipsets and got away with it. This though, doesn't change the fact they have the best performing cpus atm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. dondada

dondada Rock Star

you didn´t get what i was saying with this (not completly anyway ;)
    those 20-30% come with a significant investment, most pro users use the higher clocked i7 & xeons anyway
    people who bought the 2700 are, for the most part, very happy campers
    if you need, you overclock them with simple software no less, to stable 4,5 gigahertz on air
    i would go further by saying; Energy savings like in yesteryears are less of a concern now because of tablets and phones.
    what i mean by that is. casual surfing is done on those devices and not always on you desktop anymore. at least thats how i do it

that is exactly what i was trying to say, with aftermarket coolers, with giant towers, overheating isn´t a problem anymore
    amd are hotter is a retarded argument, since this isn´t necessarely tru anymore (like in the linked test)
    and no one was talking about silent
    to bring it to a close
    no one is buying new gear when the old is absolutley ripping ;)
    i have, since 2011, not onced thought " shit i need more power"

ps
    price to performance is what we are talking here. to get this amzing speedbump of an 8350 in in amd system
    YOU JUST HAVE TO BUY THE CHIP :))))) (in an ideal situation)
    nothing else!

come on, this is just unfair, you pick some small minority to argue against my point
    as i said many times now, different tools for different aplications

11. martel80

martel80 Producer

Sounds like a lot of jealousy for a simple job i had :)

No need to be salty Sirs ( is it better Von Steyr )

It's just a normal reaction of unknowledgeable people to complicate things.

So if I resume, to be a Technician at Amd , you need to :

-Be professional in History (@G String saying )

-Be professional In English (Von_Steyr saying/@taskforce )

-Be thought manner by the Queen (@Von_Steyr )

In fact, when i think about it.....you ''sirs'' might be working for them !
    That might be why their Quality control is so shitty.
    You guys are in fact the human ressources and those are your criteria when choosing employee !

Special mention to the moderator erasing my comments and letting people insult me saying i say Bullshit. (@Andrew Hey , Hi Double standard :) )
    I'll let the wannabes talk together on how great their cpu placed on the benchmark .

Theres a lot of info you can find on the net to learn a bit about all i said .
    No need for all this jealousy, youre not kids anymore right ?

I hope you'll have a wonderfull day .

12. martel80

martel80 Producer

@taskforce
    @Von_Steyr
    @G String

Where is/are located the Tech Support offices at AMD ?

Also, do Tech Level 2 work at the same place as Tech Level 1?

So @Andrew , look at those answers. No one will actually know the answers unless they've been working for them as a TS1 or TS2.

Now, you'll realise you let people tell someone he says bullshit when they were the one spreading it.
    You have to be careful with your moderation, you might scare knowledgable people away and keep on the rotten apples with how you moderate it,

Go guys....answer those 2 SUPER SIMPLE question :)

13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@martel80
    Perhaps you did you work for them,either way i wont argue with you,at least you are entertaining :)

14. martel80

martel80 Producer

You know its very insulting to come here to help and have clowns telling you youre telling BS and pointing out chronology mistake when the subject is about computer architecture ( my actual profession ) and they are talking about History master degree.

I mean, i'm the most knowledgable person in here in this topic im pretty sure and i just feel like i should let those clowns talk together about the latest benchmark results.

It shows how a few rotten apple can screw a whole community in real life

15. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@dondada Agreed that you can overclock a 2700k with great results. Not everyone can do this effectively though. The software overclock you mention will NOT make your 2700k reach 4.5 ghz stable. Yeah sure, wishful thinking. Not one in a million. So please do not exaggerate. Software oc will allow it to reach about 4 ghz and still the stability would be a question mark. I do agree though if you have a system around a 2700k cpu, holding on to it is only logical. But i think you would agree, the same overclock you refer to can be done on a 6700k, even though this particular chip doesn't overclock as efficiently as the 2700k. You said something about "higher clocked i7s ", i didn't get this, the 6700k is the higher clocked i7 atm. About pros going Xeon, a single Xeon pc would only fit the paradigm of a Kontakt or VSL based workstation where more ram is needed and not necessarily cpu horse power. For all else single cpu scenarios i7 is better, not to mention Xeons cannot be overclocked. Dual Xeon configs are beyond the reach of most pros but the very top (or rich of course) ones in the success ladder.

I 'd like to point out that silent pcs is the studio way. Or else it's not professional. No matter how big or small your studio is your computer fans must be the silent type. Fanless is an exception indeed. But silent is mainstream. Declaring the fx8350 a winner of the price vs performance scenario is not as straightforward as you say. Your argument about the AMD running hotter remarks as "retarded" is of course an overstatement. IT DOES OVERHEAT so it needs at least a cheap aftermarket cooler at 25-30 euros if you don't want its stock cooler to scream "soprano" noise back at you. This takes it close to the 6600k price range over which the FX8350 wins by about 10% more cpu power for about 40% more power consumption. Begin to get the bigger picture now? (On the other hand the stock cooler of the 6600k doesn't start to become noisy before 70% load which is impressive and of course its not the cooler that is more efficient but the cpu). If the FX8350 (or any other cpu for all i care) is enough for you, it's irrelevant. I can show/post mixdown projects of 100+ 24/96khz tracks with 5 plugs per track that can make your FX8350 blush, stutter and get stuck in a loop forever. Would this prove anything ? Each to their own needs my friend.

Lastly,referring to cpu tasks such as browsing the web etc, is useless to this thread as they consume insignificant power in any modern pc. It is the heavy loads where the various cpus are tested and "benchmarked" in the studio environment. If you record and mix on your pc(s) on a daily basis in the studio, you know where the power bill comes from. The more pcs you have at work handling heavy tasks the bigger the bill. And this is where the battle is clearly lost for the AMD cpu stable.
    Like i said earlier, i silently hope in AMD recovering... Atm though, things are not looking as bright. I'm not a fanboy of anything else but fast clean healthy computing (and the occasional healthy argument/ideas exchange heheh)

You be well :)

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@martel80 Dude, you talk like you are playing in "Boyz in the Hood". We 're not your homies. Although i find your presence quite amusing.
    Respect is earned not granted. When you 'll learn to use the correct spelling and start talking science and numbers instead of smalltalk found in teenage gossip columns, then perhaps i 'll show you the respect for the person you claim to be. For the time being you keep calling ppl names and half the times you spoke, you got your facts wrong or confused. So much for being the "most knowledgeable person in this topic". Btw, the benchmarks i talked about and execute, are ran with and for specific DAW work and music making pcs which is why they 're relevant to what is a music forum such as this one here. Not your average Geekbench etc here, so enough with the pointless, misleading talk please.
    Have a nice day/evening

17. martel80

martel80 Producer

Not sure why spelling is relevant here but you might want to check the words in blue...seems like there's mistake there.....no space between We and 're for example. Based on your point of view, you cant be taken seriously until then, please fix this.

Telling me i take my info from teenage gossip columns while you rely on benchmark to base your opinion ....Thats what i call entertainment.

Telling me i say Bullshit when you cant even tell me where the TS office is is like telling me you know about sports but dont know wheres the stadium.

You get part of someone telling me i say BS but cant answer the most basic question about MY former Job.

So please, im not your homie and i dont allow you to tell me i say BS unless you can teach me a thing about my profession.

Thank you oh kind sir
    ( sound better now ? )

18. dondada

dondada Rock Star

@taskforce
    dude please, I´M NOT is arguing against intel, i only argued that to dismis amd chips is stupid
    because most arguments against it are overhyped, like the heating problems,
    even cheap coolers for 30 bucks or less are quite silent (again never made an argument for stock cooling)

sorry, with higher clocked i meant sandybridge e chips like the 3930k.
    this is my error. i wanted to make a distinction betwen prosumer and pro market (all 2011)

the powerconsumption is not so much an issue if you only use it to work (imo)
    that was what i was refering to

nice! another point we agree upon, even when its slightly condesending tone.
    Studios i know, who deploy multiple machines have more often than not a computer room
    or at least WS grade equipment, you know relyability or warranty
    nice that the older chips still are relevant today. 10 years ago a 4-5 year gap was significant

i hope there will be a good competition between the chip manufacturers in our future!

19. VirtualMark

VirtualMark Member

Software overclock? I used the efi bios on my asus motherboard, and got my Sandy Bridge 2600k to run at 4.5Ghz stable. I can run it at higher speeds, but don't want to push it too hard as it requires more voltage. At the moment, the fan runs silent and the chip doesn't get too hot. Tested it running LinX for ages, worked perfectly.

20. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

Anything that AMD does will be outdone by Intel... just hold up your panties because the initial release by AMD will be full of problems and failures...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List