AMD Zen,up to 32 cores on a single socket,8 channel DDR4!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Von_Steyr, Feb 14, 2016.

Tags:
?

Your opinon?

1. AMD can absolutely deliver.

50.8%
  2. I am very skeptical about it.

30.5%
  3. No chance,marketing hype.

8.5%
  4. Pentium wins,now go home and get your f-ing shinebox.

10.2%
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

That`s interesting.
    Why did you leave?
    We can only wait and see if they deliver or not.

2. martel80

martel80 Producer

Because the work load was becoming unhealthy due to their cut in all field.
    Product were badly manufactured, reject were put on the market to fill the market demand and the vicious circle was complete.
    Imagine yourself filtering 30 individual per day screaming at you because your 300$ cpu's as burned and/or not compatible with their given new software and/or buggy because AMD was not fast enough to put an update and we had to tell customer for 3 months '' yeah yeah we understand your pain , an update is comming'' when we clearly knew nothing was even close to that because those software developers were not implementing our product in their new update and we couldnt afford to take each piece of 3D , video, audio etc... software and make them an appropriate update.

Like i said, you can wait all you want ( again it was suposed to go out on Q2 of 2016 ) but even if they did got rid of their overheating problem, the performance / stability wont be there because of all mentionned above.

3. dondada

dondada Rock Star

what do you mean by throttling, because of heat?

yeah because its "new", it took dd3 quite a while too and this time people use 2011 gear and are very happy or contempt (is that the right word ;)

another intresting thing here
    fx vs 4770 (one test isnt enough i know ;-)
    expand to read full test

Exerpt;
    "So my 8320 at 4.8GHz more or less equals the performance of the 4770k at stock, and it runs at 55°C max load versus the 4770k's 78°C max load (both were tested with Linx-AVX) with directly comparable cooling solutions--again Intel runs hotter, on a clock-for-clock basis and a similar performance basis."

i´m not a fanboy but different tool for diffrenet tasks still holds
    and one tool isn´t necessarily the best

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

my FX-8350 performs fine and the benchmarks are better as for a an intel cpu(70€ more expensive), which had the same benchmarks.
    AMD always offers upward compatibility, something intel never heard of. every new cpu line gets its on socket. (hate that and not willing to invest that much money)

5. dondada

dondada Rock Star

maybe i´m wrong but this sounds bullshit to me, youtube and the web would be full of that
    you still find "burning videos" from 2003
    i remain skeptical. my expierences are like arcticstorms, still use and build systems with both companys no houses on fire (jk)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  6. martel80

martel80 Producer

No problem,
    Thats Bullshit.
    Buy yourself an FX AMD to my health, you deserve it :)
    Cheers

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Agree! I'm running on my AMD Phenom 1055t at stock speeds for years, NEVER let me down and been able to finish lots of complex projects with tons of FXes and, clearly, the "saving realtime state" of fx chains in StudioOne by track-transforming them as a convenience not only for CPU saving, but also for better waveform editing.

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@dondada In short yes. Throttling means the cpu cutting frequency or dropping the multiplier because of excessive heat/tremendous load which can be caused by various reasons. In those generic tests i mentioned all cpus were run with stock coolers where applicable, and stock bios settings as well. This means the Intel Speedstep and AMD Cool'n'Quiet were on their respective default settings. After the load passes the 90% mark, the FX-8350 starts misbehaving a bit using the stock cooler. Not a serious problem though, even a cheap aftermarket cooler will significantly improve performance and temperatures and is recommended of course.
    @martel80 Wow. If these are the news its a sad day for computing then. Thanks for sharing the info, much appreciated.

9. G String

G String Rock Star

I love the smell of BS in the morning!!!!

Dude was a "new" level one in October 2015, but in Feb 2016 says he left as a level two "last december".

So how did you know that
    ??????

Crystal ball? lol

Two months working customer service and you offering insight into chip design. lolz

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. martel80

martel80 Producer

These are not News !!
    I Mean,
    Jim Keller resigned about 6 months ago ( He was AMD ....).
    His Apple Adventure was like 3 years ago and so the Intel integration in MAC product.
    The CPU market share is being monopolised more and more every year by Intel for the last 12 years .( 12 years ago it was 50/50...now its 90 / 10 )
    All of this was predictable and is now clear like rocky mountain water .

But There's always a punk somewhere that wish he know about the business but in fact he know jack shit.
    Working for them made me face the reality.
    The problem are real and wont be fixed unless a Jesus CPU architect is discovered and hired by AMD in the next 2 years.
    And sadly, thats what it take ( 2 year ) to design a new CPU architecture.
    I'm not bashing on AMD....i want them to stay aswell ...because without them ...we all know what will happen !!!

But those are FACTS....its not my opinion !!

THOSE ARE ALL VERIFIABLE FACTS !!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. martel80

martel80 Producer

How did i know what ?
    I was Tech level 1 for a bit more then a year there and finaly got promoted in mid October because they couldnt afford the lvl 2 anymore and formed us for lvl 2 .
    Left AMD because of the work load .
    a year and a half into AMD plus system engeneering...yeah, i know about chip design.

Anything else conspirationist little prick ?
    Go roll another one YO !!

Peace out G
    YO !

EDIT: who was working as a customer support agent ?

12. G String

G String Rock Star

I was clear, I thought.

You just said
    Which implies that you were working there at least two years ago, yes? That's what you were tying to suggest, yes?

However, elsewhere, last October 2015 you wrote this:

Which suggests you were "new" at AMD in October 2015. Not two years ago when "
    Jim Keller left AMD".

Moreover, you also added

That looks like two months. And a lot of BS. :D

13. G String

G String Rock Star

Now it's 18 months? lol

Ok.

14. martel80

martel80 Producer

First,
    I was not working for AMD when Jim left the first time....this is big money business kid,and it was announced everywhere that he left the first time.....you dont need to be an insider to know that.
    What you think i imply is biased .

second,

I'm 35 years old, working for a leading company for that short period of time make me a new guy yes. This is a career kid, not your typical corner store job.

Third

I was a Tech lvl 2 when quit yes, for almost 2 months.

Finaly,
    it was more 14 months if you want to know.....but im not sure if you can still follow the fact that all the info i shared are available to the public or youre just running your mouth to look interesting .

P.S.
    Dont apply to AMD or Intel, they ask for people with basic logic and moreover , the basic knowledge of the business.

15. martel80

martel80 Producer

See,
    Thats what ruin this forum.

Mate, make yourself a favor and go download the latest Trap pack on the Z.

You dont even know what youre talking about.

16. G String

G String Rock Star

According to you, two years ago Jim Keller had "left AMD, and it was very clear for all that AMD was never going to recover from it". And now you have him leaving AMD 6 months ago!

Fact is
    "From 2012 to 2015, he returned to AMD to work on the AMD K12 and Zen microarchitectures."

--------------

I'm not saying you know nothing. Just that what you do say doesn't square. Not even with your self.

17. G String

G String Rock Star

Exactly! So don't pretend to be offering some insider's view.

{ETA - it helps if you at least get the publicly available facts right ;) }

18. G String

G String Rock Star

What, people taking BS? ;)

It's ok - no big deal. No hard feelings.

19. martel80

martel80 Producer

I dont pretend to be offering insiders view.
    The date might not match but the fact are there .
    He worked for AMD,
    Left and joined Apple later, inter=grated intel into it.
    Joined back AMD and left again before ZEN was finished.

Those are facts that were available to public ( like i repeated ) and i never said it was an insider view....its all in your head.

20. G String

G String Rock Star

Sure. Though it still doesn't explain your saying "AMD was never going to recover" from Jim Keller's leaving 2 years earlier - a time when he was at AMD, as you now concede. And of course, if he left two years earlier, to such apparent great detriment to AMD, as you claimed, then why did you have him leaving (again) in 2015? He must have re-joined the supposedly ailing AMD inbetween? In which case, AMD must have thought they were "recovering". Jim Keller at least must have thought so? lol