AMD to announce Zen on December 13!

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Von_Steyr, Dec 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

AMD is gearing up for one of its biggest CPU launches in recent history, and perhaps ever. We're of course talking about Zen, the CPU architecture that's supposed to propel AMD back to the top where it will either share the performance crown with Intel or snag the thing from its rival. Leading up to the much anticipated launch, AMD is planning a livestream event to preview Zen.

The "New Horizon" event, as AMD is calling it, will be the first time the public will get to spend some hands on time with Zen and see how it stacks up. It will be hosted by Geoff Keighley, former host of GameTrailers TV and co-host of the now-defunct G4tv.com.

Expectations are high for Zen. AMD previously showed off an 8-core, 16-thread Summit Ridge Zen processor edging out an 8-core, 16-thread Broadwell-E chip, both clocked at 3GHz, in Sony's Blender 3D rendering application. Whether that level of performance extends into other programs and gaming is something that will be asked and speculated upon until Zen actually launches in the first quarter of next year.

http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-zen-coming-on-december-13/

Feels like a waste of time reading this news?
    Well, at least you saw her.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Batoumba

Batoumba Producer

4. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Fantastic news! I've been an AMD fan for over 20 years but their lack of competition forced me to build my first Intel i7 based computer this past year..... but I would LOVE AMD to step back up on top, competition is a healthy thing Intel needs IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

My wife have NATURAL, stronger and more beautiful breast.
    But she is OK for singles right?

6. Ronbell

Ronbell Member

I doubt they will ever beat Intel, but low price point is the thing that made AMD attractive (while power use didn't). But since this time they boost performance and lower power consumption, that low price point will get compromised.

7. WillTheWeirdo

FWIW,
    AMD has beaten Intel several times in the past, while always having a lower price point on a similar clock speeds. For 15 years I could build an AMD for 60% of an Intel at the same performance level. AMD motherboards are also always way cheaper from the same manufacture too.

AMD always does a fantastic job of keeping the same slot architecture for much longer, for easy CPU upgrading without having to purchase whole new system, unlike Intel. I was able to upgrade AM2 & AM3 computers for almost 8 years each...... so for 8 years each time I could just purchase a new AMD CPU to keep my computer competitive..... this is a huge advantage AMD had that people don't talk about. While most Intel users bought 3 complete computers I bought 1 AMD and just 2-3 CPU upgrades, saving a ton of cash and polluting the planet much less.

AMD fell off when the i7's came out, they seem to have righted the ship with Zen, but only time will tell.

I love my current i7 5820k build (with no upgrade path outside of a $1500 6950x), but an AMD Zen AM4 will be in my future if they compete with the i7's.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Ronbell

Ronbell Member

del

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

What are you talking about? Rachel Williams is a proud owner of an amazing pair of natural British Knockersā„¢! :mad:

Back on topic, which can be hard, errr... :hahaha: [scratching balls break]

I think AMD Zen is going to be a really nice refreshment after so many years of Intel dominance. Intel managed to fall asleep somehow, and with prices set in stone. It seems like Zen CPUs will be able to perform almost as well as Intel CPUs and with prices that everybody can afford. :wink: I would like to upgrade my olde 4 core Phenom 965@4gHz to something more modern and 8 core. It's about time. I usually buy a new main computer every 5 years or more. Although I must say also that this is the first time that I don't feel so pressed to upgrade as this Phenom 965 is still enough CPU power for my needs. :headbang:

10. WillTheWeirdo

Please keep your negative preschool comments to yourself, some of us are professionals here, expressing professional opinions.

Your lack of understanding of the recent past and your ignorant loyalty to a corporation is comical, but sad. I use tools for my work, I have no allegiance to any company as I do not own stock nor work there, so I prefer to have competitive options to choose from. As I stated above AMD tools saved me a lot money and had much less pollution, thus I chose those tools best suited for my work, with my children's future in my thoughts. When the Intel tools became the better option, I went that direction.

FWIW, you are correct, I have ZERO brand loyalty, as I am a free thinking human with the ability to make my own decisions about my tools.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Same here.Had to jump to intel this year.
    Kept my AMD 960T quad/phenom for my VSL PRO farming pc, still quite good.

12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Don't be too worried about Zen and Kaby Lake CPUs "not being optimised" for W10. These CPUs will work perfectly fine with Windows XP even, just some power or/and security features that most of the users actually don't need won't be supported, and their performance will actually be better with older Windows, as always. :wink:

It's also just another Microsoft trick to get the gullible users onboard W10. People will say "OMG Zen/Kaby Lake CPU is not compatible with Windows 7! OMG! I have to install W10!" Utter and complete bullshit. :wink: Stop listening to anything that big corporations say. Your life will be more peaceful. :winker:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. WillTheWeirdo

Yep...
    My Studio One/Reaper/Live rig is humming along with my Intel i7 5820K.
    My Pro Tools HD2 rig is humming along with my AMD 1100T.
    My PARIS rig is humming along with my AMD 955.

Funny thing is, my PARIS rig is still the fastest for recording, I can run a session for hours on it without stopping once, lol. Artists beg for me to slow down, and it's 20 year old technology. Newer does not always mean better.

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

S1 is bottlenecking your i7 :hillbilly:

15. Ronbell

Ronbell Member

del

16. WillTheWeirdo

Nope, PARIS is just faster and so much more efficient a system, but it was designed by Ensoniq with custom DSP chips. It could pull 128 tracks of audio with full 4 bands of EQ per track, custom Ensoniq hardware based EFX, all on a Pentium 233Mhz computer.

As I sad, newer is not always better.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  17. WillTheWeirdo

LOL, again with the childish corporate slave mentality comments, they trained you well......... you may want to get a girlfriend and travel the world youngin.

18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Amd releasing ZEN is BIG stuff.I would say it compares to Apple revealing ipod or iphone, probably bigger, it will shake and change the dynamics of the market and the whole workstation consumer/prosumer gear from gaming to audio/video production.
    Its going to be pretty big.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. WillTheWeirdo

Only time will tell, but AMD being competitive in the CPU market again will only give us all more options and better tools moving forward.

20. Ronbell

Ronbell Member

del

21. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

fond memories of overclocking AMD cpu's..