AMD @ CES 2022

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zenarcist, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The 3D vertical cache is designed for gamers, and as you say it's probably not worth it for audio. A similar 3DX CPU for the new series will be released later.

2. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I am happy with my 5700G, works fine and some far i am not even hitting 15% CPU usage with 15 Reason plugins and some sylenths, massive and some roland synths.

And i maybe would have saved 50$ on the 5700G, but well i had 6 months no computer to play with.

Wondering how the real world benchmarks are looking and ofc the audio case, as i simply not care about game performance ...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I don't think it's an essential upgrade, depending on what you already have. I'm looking for a workhorse to compliment my laptop, so my decision is a lot easier. It's been a lifetime ambition of mine to crush Diva without having to engage the multicore option! :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I'd have thought so too, but apparently, according to German 'heise' magazine, the 3D cache is super beneficial for audio work. In their benchmark, the 5800X3D destroys AMD's own 5950X.

'DAW Benchmarks: Maximum number of tracks'
    The different bars for Apple are native M1 and emulated x64 respectively.

[​IMG]

Link if picture won't load: Clicky

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Barry T

Barry T Producer

Interesting... Thank you for this. I find it strange that while the performance of the M1/Apple stuff is comparatively absolutely pathetic, how does the M1 Ultra make such a tremendous leap?

I doubt additional cores would make such a noticeable difference? Is the single core speed that much higher?

6. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I think the M1 Ultra is literally two M1 Maxes glued together, 16 performance cores plus 4 efficiency cores in total. If your DAW is really well threaded, you can get close to a 2x performance uplift.

7. Barry T

Barry T Producer

Thank you, I suspected it might be that. Perhaps the nature of the benchmark also contributes to this: lots of synths can be processed in parallel, as opposed to a single chain with multiple serial effects.

Certainly, more cores would be helpful in the former case.

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's interesting, but I don't think I would be doing those sorts of things on a low buffer, and also the audio interface they used isn't all that great compared to RME. It's all relative though, and they all have the same constraints, so it's quite useful.

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Well been looking for a notebook now, looking at a 5700U in a thinkpad :D
    Wondering if Notebook CPU prices will also a bit drop?

DIVA's cpu usage is still insane, but you really get an amazing synth for that.

10. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

Before you throw money on a brand new architecture due to excellent marketing, consider these points:

Regarding Laptops
    • Good time to get a new notebook with AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS or Intel I7-12700H.
    • Intel Wins when plugged in; AMD wins on battery.
    • Beware some laptops have soldered RAM and an extra slot, in which the soldered RAM capacity will be the limit of your dual channel performance. Search for ram compatibility by other reviewers of your model.
    • I am currently on the new Asus Zephyrus G15 with AMD 6900HS. I'm returning it later today for the Asus ProArt 16X with Intel 12700H for a few reasons:
      • Zephyrus does not sleep when I close the lid, even after setting it. Never had this issue on my Macbook Pro, and it is important to work properly.
      • Thunderbolt 4 featured on Intel version.
      • Zephyrus does not officially support internal nvme sticks above 1TB (even though resellers will provide the option).These issues are documented on Youtube. ProArt supports up to 4TB internal ( 2x 2TB). Read carefully the specs of any laptop.
    Regarding Desktops
    • AM4 is very capable on X570S chipset, I'll be keeping my 5900X and maybe buying another from impulsive upgrader.
    • DDR5 is not yet proven to be that much better in the real world yet, only a few synthetic benchmarks suggest otherwise. In fact, there are bugs to be worked out (search Youtube).
    • PCIe 5.0 has NO HARDWARE READY to take advantage of it. There is still nothing on the market that maximize PCIe 4.0. So gen 5, your parts will still run like gen 4.
    • Parts are currently overpriced because resellers are taking advantage of the times. In fact, price will drop sooner if adoption is slow.
    • Money to burn? Go ahead. On a budget? Now is the time to search good prices on AM4.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  11. Ankit

Ankit Guest

All of them more than enough for pro audio tasks. Core i7, Ryzen 7 or M1 Ultra Max, all are great. Obviously Mac M1 processors are better.

12. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

hey producers,
    is i5 10400 good enough for music production (using heavy stuff like kontakt,massive x ,... in ableton)?

13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Is anybody jumping in early? I think it may be best to let the early adopters pay the high prices, and also wait until Intel release their new CPU's, making the market more competitive.

15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

@Zenarcist not at all, I'm actually thinking about going Intel 12th gen, where overpriced and clunky DDR5 isn't mandatory, unlike Ryzen 7000 series with overpriced motherboards

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yeah, but the AMD economy mode sounds great, and I will only have to sell one kidney to pay the electracy bill :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Just to be clear, number of tracks with what on them? The plugs mentioned on the bottom? All of them on one track? What's the config?

Sorry I can't read the language.

18. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

all those plugins, in every single track. max tracks without hick-ups. apple results with rosetta (dark bar) und native (whole bar). :bow:

19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

From what I hear AMD prices are quite inflated (including motherboards of course). Unless you are loaded with cash very recommended to at least wait until Intel 13K is already in the market.
    Also, if you're going for an 8 core it's hard not to look at the 5800x3D. Or some high-end Intel 12K with DDR4.
    The 7900/7950 should be clearly faster in a very loaded DAW session but they are freaking expensive with the transition of the mobo and RAM too.
    And yes, I'm also drooling over the thinking of a future 7800xD :rofl:

20. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

problem with new AMD lineup is, they get outperformed by 5950X in multicore production workloads at performance per watt, and outperformed by 5800X3D in games,
    I'm seriously thinking about i5-13600K as it gives top performance at much lower cost of the built system