AMD @ CES 2022

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zenarcist, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

AMD rumour:

CPU.............Base/Boost
    Old: 5900X 3.7 -> 4.8
    New: 7900X 4.7 -> 5.6

It would be an audio monster if true!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  2. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

7900X
    $550 USD
    PCIe 5th Gen
    DDR5 Ram

3. nism

nism Ultrasonic

Where are Apple fans? Come on! Wake up!

4. juggz143

juggz143 Kapellmeister

There's nothing to talk about. The M1 is a mobile processor which is why they benched it against the 9880h in the first place, and not the 9900... Which still would have given apple an additional year gap but would have gotten them blown out the water. It is amazing compared to cpus with integrated graphics (which tend to be midrange at best graphics wise) but against desktop class i9's or R9's paired with desktop class 3090's or 6900's there's literally nothing to talk about!:dunno:

They may use it in desktops but that's still equivalent to putting an M or H series cpu in a desktop. Which if intel did it would be ludicrous, but when Apple does it ... you know brand marketing and all that.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Just over a month to go, and hopefully the 8 month wait will have been worth it :)

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

which date exactly?

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Supposed to be September 15, I think. There should be an announcement towards the end of this month.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

One bad thing that will also affect next gen CPUs, not only GPUs, is a drastic augment in power usage therefore temps.
    It starts with both AMD 7000 and Intel whateverlake 13000. I think Intel's will be the most hungry but AMDs not very far.

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

You bring up some good points. The AMD 7000 series will also include an iGPU in the 170W TDP, not sure if that will be sufficient for DAW work? The 8 core version is more efficient (105W TDP), so that could be a good option too. I plan to continue composing and tracking on my laptop as it's easier for me, and then use the desktop rig for advanced production, which is where my laptop falls down.

Some more info here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...ications-pricing-benchmarks-all-we-know-specs

10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

waiting for Apple to make actual computer, or deliver full MacOS on iPad Pro,
    rumours are, Apple reserved whole TSMC capacity for 3nm chip production, with Intel being sad at the moment,

for vast majority of audio tasks, per-core performance (still) matters, and fanless (5nm) M2 MacBook Air gives same performance like 190W 5GHz boosted i7-12700K which AMD obviously will outperform - question is at what power draw,

I'm slowly looking at replacing my i7-5820K DDR4 X99 setup, waiting for proper PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 support, maybe also dual 10Gbe... all that at reasonable prices, meanwhile enjoying M1 MacMini along....
    :chilling:

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

From the article above: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...ications-pricing-benchmarks-all-we-know-specs

AMD ZEN 4 RYZEN 7000 POWER CONSUMPTION

AMD originally stated that Socket AM5 would have a 170W Package Power Tracking (PPT) limit, meaning that would be the peak amount of power the socket could provide to any given processor. However, AMD later clarified that the original number it shared is in error. Instead, we'll see a 170W TDP for some processors designed for the AM5 socket, like Ryzen 7000, which is a significant increase over the current 105W TDP limit with the Ryzen 5000 processors.

Additionally, the peak power consumption (PPT) for the AM5 socket is actually 230W. That's a significant increase over the previous-gen Ryzen 5000's 142W limit.

Overall, the increase represents a 65W TDP and an 88W PPT increase over AMD's current flagships.

[​IMG]

(Image credit: @herb_hsso / Gigabyte leak)

We've also learned that all Ryzen 9 models will come with a 170W TDP, so they'll have a PPT of 230W. Additionally, information revealed in the infamous 'Gigabyte leak' indicates that AMD will have 45, 65, 95, 105, 120, and 170W power ranges spanning the entire Zen 4 lineup.

This increased power delivery will help the Ryzen processors in heavily-threaded workloads, like the Blender benchmark the company demoed during Computex that showed Ryzen 7000 thrashing Intel's Alder Lake Core i9-12900K. The increased 170W TDP also means it's entirely possible that we could see souped-up 12- and 16-core Ryzen 7000 chips with a 170W TDP for extreme users, while 105W 12- and 16-core models slot in for more mainstream uses.

Increasing the TDP and PPT will help AMD deliver more performance, particularly for its higher core-count models, during heavy multi-threaded workloads. In many cases, AMD's previous limit of 142W with the previous-gen AM4 socket held back performance, so the additional 88W of power will be particularly helpful with the newer 12- and 16-core models. That could help offset the demise of AMD's consumer-oriented Threadripper HEDT platforms — the company recently announced that it was retiring all non-Pro Threadripper chips, thus putting pricing of the remaining models out of reach of enthusiasts. The higher-end high-core-count Ryzen 7000 models paired with the high-end X670E motherboards with PCIe 5.0 support (more below) will presumably fill that niche.

In addition, AMD has specified that it will use the standard TDP and PPT calculations for chips that drop into the AM5 socket — you can simply multiply the TDP by 1.35 to calculate the maximum power consumption of the chip (PPT).

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

@Zenarcist good info there!
    given the 142W AM4 limitation, I guess we'll see if AMD goes for two different socket designs on 7000 Ryzen series, or if they bite the bullet and go full AM5 with different chipset choices only and different PCIe lane layout configurations - let's hope chipset won't require active cooling fan as mandatory

13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I'm assuming the power management will be good, but there will be more juice in the tank if you need it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I think they'll be. Those iGPUs seems to be quite good, using the current AMD 6000 GPUs tech.
    But that's only an educated guess.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

17. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

I'm extremely excited to see the 3rd party benchmarks, if what they're saying is true, it'll be both incredibly efficient while having a massive performance uplift in all scenarios both single core and multicore all of which combined will make these absolutely fantastic for audio considering both metrics are important for that. There hasn't been a better time for audio on the hardware side, everything is just getting insanely powerful and I love knowing that people are going to make awesome art because of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The 6-core CPU with a 4.7 GHz base clock could be a little monster, although I find myself attracted to the 12 and 16 core models for obvious reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Same prices, and the top model 7950X is cheaper!

20. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

Had recently bought the 58003dx (500€) and sent it back. (the noticeable performance difference to the 2700x was too small for me.) I am now looking at the 7900x for almost the same price. :yes: