Amateur first attempt at a cinematic piece (unfinished)

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by EAR TO LEARN, Nov 17, 2018.

1. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

I've recently been experimenting making cinematic instrumentals as I have almost completely fell out of love with hip hop/grime music...

This piece is a work in progress with a bit of subtractive eq on individual tracks and ozone on the master bus to increase the loudness and stereo width (not finished in any sense of the word). Perhaps some people here with more experience than myself could give me some brief feedback in reguards of the direction it's going in...As a first attempt I am quite proud but as you will know an idea in your head is almost perfect, it's just getting that idea to translate through the speakers that is the hard part. The best I can do is try

https://instaud.io/2W5b

Also I stuck ozone 8 tonal balance control on the end to see what the readings were...I have zero compression on the bass, however it says that it is too compressed which has me in a state of confusion. Any help with this also would be a bonus... Thank you

Capturep.JPG

3. Old X

Old X Guest

Sounds great, nice theme, actually to me this is hip hop beat without drums, obviously you can't escape yourself and that's great actually, because all this experimentation can lead to your distinct sound or just something little different.

Recently I was experimenting with hip hop/trap/cinematic/EDM hybrid sound and I really think this is the next big thing for the mainstream, all of the respective genres got so generic/predictive/boring, so there's always space for something new and IMHO what better than trailer like pop music with bunch of transitional effects and expensive 4k videos, time will tell.

Work on this and have a blast. :thumbsup:

4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

To me the bass sounds a bit like the level would indicate- just a bit louder than seems "right".
    With more in the mix that is gonna change.
    As far as compression goes, it sounds ok, but my question is "What is the source?"
    The instrument itself may be compressed. The dynamics are dictated by the source first, be it a sample or a synth patch.
    And that "crest factor" is only a guide.
    I have been using the Tonal Balance on subgroups and even individual tracks. I have it inserted on "Current Track" along with some meters that show levels and spectrum, so I can see what any track or buss looks like.
    BUT ... BUT ...BUT... that is only a visual aid to help in learning what I am hearing.

Only on the master playing the full mix would I consider that I am using Tonal Balance properly.
    It assumes a full mix and that is what the guides are based on.

Just out of curiosity, what's the bass sound?

5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

[edit] Oh, and if you are going to add timpani drums...or any other low thump or pump, well, there goes that "crest factor" compression reading :D

6. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

Thanks for the input. I have been trying to create something that's not like anyone else. Obviously I have influences but I'm trying to tell my personal story through music. Have you got an of your tracks online for me to check out?

7. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

Cheers for the help. The bass sound is a preset in zebra called 'Bane Bass' I think it's a hanz zimmer patch. I adjusted the low pass filter as I wanted a tiny bit more mid range in there. I think I may have tweaked the release nob a bit as well.