Am|muniton (underated secret sauce for your tracks)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by quadcore64, Sep 10, 2019.

1. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Discovered this mixing trick while experimenting with Samplitude Pro X4 running under Wine on Manjaro Linux with the Linux 5.2.10_rt5-1 kernel.

Loaded Am|munition with the 'Soft Clip' preset on every bus for grouped tracks & non grouped single tracks.
    Tried with various projects in different genres.

Soft Clip.jpg

This should be done before any other processing to tracks to get an idea of what is happening & why it works. For me, starting a mix this way really puts everything in context.

Hope you find this as useful as I do.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Yes. Basically all the plugins from magix are useful and underrated. :thumbsup:

4. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Thanks for this tip, I have Samplitude installed, but never use it...
    still my main DAW (Sonar) while installing some plugins, acts like a snoop dog and finds everything it counts as VST in any places on PC...
    so, once I've read your post I checked out the VST folders and yes, there is AmIMuntition there among others, so, have to try it

PS. there are Am|munition and Am|munition I ...
    so, what is the difference between them?

5. Recoil

Recoil Guest

I have this plugin but I haven't used it yet :woot: and the restoration plugins, with SpectraLayers kicks ass of iZotope RX 7 :yes:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
  6. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Am|munition 1 is most likely the most current version. It is the only one that appears on my system.
    Have internal & regular VST versions installed.

7. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  8. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Nice interface...

9. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

But who uses Magix

10. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

If I could use that modeling suite in Live and Cubase I'd buy samplitude the next time it went on one of those crazy $150 sales. Those plugs are made by the same guy that did Presswerk (and perhaps Satin?)

I tried installing the Samplitude demo to see if those plugs would scan in my other DAWs and it didn't work for me. Oh well

11. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Try the r2r release. I just double checked. They work on Live and Cubase. Legit and nonlegit.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

From Sascha:
    To make that clear, that was neither a port nor a succession of ideas. I hate repeating myself through projects, and it wouldn't do past work and people involved any favour.

While I did both plugins' DSP code (and - hehe - Sebastian made both UIs...), the two only share some features like M/S and external SC input, along with a central metering section, where I considered M/S important, and the centrical layout was quite obvious for Basti when we layed out the concept (he even did a 3D model of the virtual 'inside', as can be seen here). But looking more closely probably reveals important differences. Ammo is basically an opto comp in series with a limiter & dual-band saturator, which already is quite a strange combination, while Presswerk is more a compressor construction kit designed to mimic pretty much everything known from the hardware world. PW is more versatile, and its only 'signature sound' comes from the saturation section and optional phase rotator, while Ammo has more flavour right away, but is also more aggressive & up-front. You just can't substitute one for the other.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List