am i fucked up ?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by 2poor2, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

I can hear the tone up to 20,000 Hz in Gramofon's online tester, but it's just a click and the vol has to be way up. In my case many years as a radio DJ with very loud cans always :grooves:

2. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

so yeah, those little spectrum analysers, they will be our best friends, forever. we can't live without, for sure.

3. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I can only hear at around 12-13kHz pure sine, regular level
    But i can tell you i hear things most ppl don't on blind tests.
    Like impulse cab vs real cab vs Nebula cab.
    And against professionals (not being one myself) :bleh:

Of course, 7kHz is very low. 5kHz could cause big troubles for conversations.
    Keep your ears, to avoid the 5kHz limit :mates:

Put a limiter on master bus to protect your ears, work at low level, put a spectrum analyzer on master bus to see the global spectrum slope (around 3 to 4.5dB per octave)...there are more tricks.
    Let other ppl doing the final mix adjustments, and/or mastering/stems mastering.

There are less troubles on high frequencies side than mid/bass frequencies, BTW
    Most ppl will tell you that bass domain is tricky, mids are tricky too...but not so much about highs.
    Because they are just harmonics. Nobody is going to use a 7kHz fundamental note, apart for short/low FX noise :wink:
    I even seen a good trance producer using a spectrum aanalizer to set his hihats levels, compared to other instruments.
    Once bass/mids are set, it is easy for another person to solve high frequencies in the mix, or even master :wink:

Guetta is half-deaf, due to DJing (said it himself). And pay a co-mixer to do final mixing work. But still do all tracks himself :wink:

Just don't try to hear something you can't by pushing levels :mates:...and avoid mastering tutorials about 12K "air" push :mates: :wink:

4. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

thanks for your excellent advices :mates:

is this guy on the left, the one who works with guetta, on the video ? by the way, interesting video, i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEfeh0bQ504

5. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

hey mccookie,

i've been a competitive swimmer and lately a fin swimmer for half my life - water does not harm your ears. the human body is not flawed by design :)
    regarding the fact that you can date your hearing anomaly back to your school days leaves me with the impression it's something you were born with.

see, i don't think you're fucked up. and you don't have to give up making music. leave the mixing and mastering to people who are experts in that field and concentrate your precious time on what you're good at! you don't have to have good hearing to be a great composer or to be creative. in fact, beethoven (imho the greatest composer of all times) was completely deaf.

also, you might wanna consider getting hearing aid. i know it's mostly old people who wear such stuff but actually, they don't wear it because of their age but because of their bad hearing. a few years ago, i met a really beautiful girl who had hearing aid, and have had since her childhood. it wasn't really that conspicous and not weird at all. to the observer maybe like glasses.

keep calm and carry on :)

6. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

thanks for your comment.

7. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Whatever the reason for your hearing loss was, you can't change it now.
    There is no other way than to accept it and live with it (which you have done anyway).

I would say the same thing, which others have already mentioned above:
    You can create music and be a musician without problems... but leave the mixing/mastering to other people, and you should be fine *yes*

8. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

it's time for some real alien invasion... so they can share some nice technologies with us :rofl:

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

see a doctor. really!

10. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

ahhh, you just killed my week-end with your advice :)

11. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Listening too much with headphones is very bad for the ears... especially several hours a day :wow:

Please invest in a pair of good studio monitors, it's probably the best advice I can give you.
    Use headphones only when absolutely necessary.

(btw in-ears are even worse)

12. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

sure it is bad.
    i don't listen at extreme levels. at all.

13. Jackson12

Jackson12 Newbie

How is your hearing now man? Did it stay the same or got worse? Please reassure me you protected your ears and your hearing has stabilized.