Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto drum sounds

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by gorantovic, Dec 21, 2016.

1. gorantovic

gorantovic Member

Hi guys,

Do you know maybe which sample libraries or softsynths have similat type of electronic percussion sounds like Alva Noto?

All the best!

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Sinewaves. Pitch enveloped and constant pitched pure sines.
    Turn off cut at zero crossing. Randomly cut the low sines up and move them around.

Edit: Maybe it was a trick question? :D What drums are you talking about?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  4. gorantovic

gorantovic Member

No it isn't! Sorry if I made it like that.

I am working on some music for movie and I'd like to put that kind of analog percussion sounds there, so I wonder if there is something similar to ease my job creating it from the start.

Thanks anyway!

5. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

6. Mattc90

Mattc90 Kapellmeister

You could probably get similar results by experimenting with cut up short samples of metallic things like spoons for example and dropping them into a sampler plugin like Kontakt. Mess with the tuning and ADSR settings for that high pitched blippy kind of sound, keeping the sustain and decay short and snappy. The kind of sounds you mention are basically just really high pitched sine wave blips processed in various ways so keep that in mind when tuning/ pitching.

You could even try cutting up non-metallic sounds (vocal snippets, samples of vintage synths, hissing from vents or pipes, wooden ticks etc) and try out various processing algorithms in whatever sampler you're using for differing results. I would say the main thing is to try experimenting with quick processes like that and you'll definitely get somewhere similar but possibly even more interesting without the often laborious task of trying to copy an exact sound.

Granulising those types of metallic sounds (be it from foley or old synths or anywhere really) can give amazing results and is a lot of fun to mess with!

Hope that helps in some way haha! :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  7. recycle

recycle Guest

actually there are no drum sounds in Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto album

???

8. Mattc90

Mattc90 Kapellmeister

I think he just means the blippy/ glitchy high pitched synth rhythms over most of the album, they do represent more of a rhythm element than a musical one, so I would probably also count them among the 'drums/ percussion' in that particular context.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I've done some minimal Raster Noton stuff. In essence, It's quite amazing what you can do with just sine waves and noise (and piano, reverbs, resampling, granular synths, etc).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. There is an old soft synth that is just six or seven sin wave generators that are modulated against each other. I will find it somewhere in my mass of stuff, and if I find it will post it up.

11. paradochs

paradochs Newbie

may this will help: