Altiverb multi-channel output?

Discussion in 'Software' started by VintageDOC, Sep 17, 2019.

1. VintageDOC

VintageDOC Kapellmeister

When Altiverb 7 is loaded into Reaper, Reaper shows that Altiverb has 2 inputs and 6 outputs. Routing audio to the 3rd and 4th and 5th and 6th Altivrb outputs produces silence.
    I have tried also inputting the signal to Reaper inputs 3 and 4 etc. and various other combinations of input and output, but again nothing happens. The reverb output appears only on the channel 1 2 output, never on the others.
    Does anybody know if there is some trick to setting up Altiverb to output to more than stereo? Or is this some miscue on the part of either Reaper or Altiverb or....both?

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@VintageDOC
    Edit: outputs individually assigned to specific channels/tracks in your mixer.

TAKE WHAT I WROTE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. THERE IS SOME CONFUSION AS TO HOW IT WORKS.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

But Altiverb XL has, from their homepage:
    'XL version features:
    • up to 5.1 surround input and output'

But I don't know if this also requires a 5.1 impulse, probably yes.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Home page is correct.
    The IRs in the following configurations:
    In Altiverb you have the following:
    1 in, 1 out ( IR was made using 1 stage speaker position and 1 mic)
    1 in, 2 out ( IR was made using a central stage speaker and 2 microphones)
    2 in, 2 out ( IR was made using left & right speaker positions and 2 microphones)
    Altiverb XL adds:
    1 in, 4 out ( IR was made using a central stage speaker and 4 microphones)
    2 in, 4 out ( IR was made using left & right speaker positions and 4 microphones)

Accordingly, you only get 5.1 with an Altiverb XL IRS.

EDIT: TAKE WHAT I WROTE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. THERE IS SOME CONFUSION AS TO HOW IT WORKS.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Altiverb uses mono, true stereo & true stereo multi-channel irs from what I remember.

Audioease also has specific software just for surround processing called 360 Pan I believe.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. VintageDOC

VintageDOC Kapellmeister

well, if I understand correctly, I would need an impulse that already has 5 channels.... so far I have not seen any of those. It seems there should be 5 full range vrb outputs and I suppose something for the .1...but that would be a rather noisy grumble in the real world, probably quite useless. Are there any multi-channel irs out there somewhere? I have always found pairs, i.e. Front of Hall, Rear of Hall as stereo pairs you can load in things like Voxengo's Pristine Space, but so far I have not seen anything for Altiverb.
    It certainly would be very helpful if somebody could put the 360 Pan from Audioease on AudioZ. I will make a request.
    I would like to ask if The Pirate has indeed managed to get some multi-channel output from Altiverb, in which case I would be delighted to learn how he\she did so. Contrary to his\her first comment that says there are not 6 outputs from Altiverb, now he\she says there are 4 or 5.1 I won't quibble over 6 or 5 or even quad. The whole point is getting some opposite channel vrb signal from Altiverb, which sounds extaordinary in stereo.

8. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

There are plenty of "quad" IRs in vanilla Altiverb, but I don't have a 5.1 setup to test how / whether Altiverb routes them. But it seems to? :
    [​IMG]
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: you (I think) need to have more than stereo (quad works as does 5.0/1) as audio outputs in your project, but it should show more options (stereo - quad) in the browser. There's sometimes a "front" and "rear" pair, so maybe you can fudge something together yourself? Difficult to know for sure what's going on; just using guesswork rly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. VintageDOC

VintageDOC Kapellmeister

That is most useful, thanks. Perhaps you could try sending something out 3 and 4 in Altiverb, but listen to it on your 1 and 2 monitor just to see if anything is there? It looks like there is, from the VU meter on your track 11. Reaper never showes more than stereo, even though the routing matrix said there could be 6 outputs (I imagine the 5.1 configuration), and the track Altiverb was on was set up with 6 channels (as was the Master).
    How do you determine if the IRs are quad? So far I have not seen any indication....although I haven't gone through all the iRs, so it's entirely possible I am missing them.

10. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

This lack of info from a plugin that costs $900 is ridiculous

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List

Attached Files:

11. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

There are some. I am just reinstalling Altiverb to find out how this works. But Im 100% sure about that drawer, popping up with 5.1 IRS. I think that 5.1 Responses or knowing how to create one is what we are missing. We need something like this https://www.avosound.com/en-us/sound-libraries/avosound/ir1-impulse-response-set

12. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I just tried it. If you insert Altiverb as an Instrument Track all those channels get created automatically. Possibly there is another way of it opening them up. Now, with the 5.1 the drawer in the I/O section will open up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

@VintageDOC I will try to help as well
    Just to know, do you have a 5.1 soundcard and speakers setup?

Those 6 outputs from reaper have to be assign to your soundcard physical outputs.. and depending from the soundcard type, you have to play around with the outputs of reaper to mach the 5.1 speakers\sub\amp.. you have to add the outputs in the master channel :wink:

From their website "Altiverb 7 is a native stereo in/stereo out plug-in with a maximum sampling rate of 96kHz, Altiverb 7 XL adds support for TDM (Mac only), up to 5.1 surround input/output, and sample rates over 96kHz."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

That is correct. You simply assign the output channels as you please.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  16. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Will "just using FDNreverb" going to fix the OP's problem and gives us the answer to what we are trying to do here?

17. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

No it does not. BUT the OP is trying to use a surround reverb, which is not working, so I am suggesting a different & free surround reverb.

Answering the intent may be a quicker way of actually solving the problem by bypassing it & it has worked in the past & i have barely been questioned about this approach in the past.

• List
  18. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

You just established that this only works when routed in a multi-output surround speaker setup so perhaps @junh1024 was trying to give an alternative to a percieved interpretation of the goal of this thread. I've heard junh explain ambisonics in extreme scientific detail before and possibly consider his off-brand solution relavent a tiny bit here. these ambisonic plugs are kind of interesting also:wink:

"The problem is not the problem.The problem is your attitude about the problem."

I kid, don't punch me please

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Here I have to question your approach to solving this problem. The goal of this thread, and the only 2 questions posited by the OP are:

That is why I said what I said about your "alternative." Imagine if every time someone asked how to solve a Spectrasonics problem I answered: Just install KeyZone Classic. Those problems would never go away. There would not be a solution. Alternatives such as yours are more appropriate in those instances where, finding an optimal solution is impossible or impractical. Certainly, that is not the case here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. VintageDOC

VintageDOC Kapellmeister

Good morning everybody. I just woke up to find some very interesting and useful discussion concerning the Altiverb problem.
    As The P. has correctly surmised, I am interested in getting Altiverb to work. I have MANY reverbs in my arsenal, including Exponential Audio Symphony (we don't need to go into reverb comparisons here, there is another thread that does that in depth). What I am after is the quite extraordinary quality of Altiverb in a multi-channel environment.
    I have been using Reaper successfully for multi-channel output for as long as Reaper has existed...and I have an octophonic setup here, been doing multi-channel work for many many years. That side of things is secure. For example, to get the IRCAM reverb to output correctly you have to re-assign the outputs in a not entirely intuitive way. I also have had unfortunate experiences with Ambisonics in concert situations...my work does a great deal of sound spatialization with rapid movement of a variety of kinds of sounds all over the octophonic environment that often timbrally transform during the movement. The Ambisonics that I have run into so far cannot handle that kind of thing, on the contrary they glitch, pop, click, snap and in one instance actually crashed the concert computer (in rehearsal fortunately).
    I am not even sure Altiverb is anything other than an ambience creator for what are supposed to be sounds sources fixed in the front stereo speakers. But I sure would like to find out!!
    Again for The P. are you trying Altiverb in Reaper or something else? On a PC (my situation) or Mac? What DAW do you use to get surround channels from Altiverb? In Reaper (WIN7) you add plugins on an audio track that can be anything you put in there, as I'm sure you know. Reaper does indeed automatically inform me that there are 6 outputs (but only 2 inputs!!) to Altiverb. But as mentioned at the start of this thread, no audio other than from 1 and 2. Fun.
    I agree entirely, the lack of relevant info on a very expensive gadget is quite outrageous. But a lot of those people do the same thing, the info is lacking or poorly explained. My own preferred DAW Samplitude\Sequoia, has some features that are listed as being available but totally ignored in the manual and how to even get to them. etc. etc. We do what we can with what we have.

21. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I tried to duplicate the problem you were having within Reaper and a W7. As I said, when you open Altiverb as an instrument it automatically opens as many channels as are present in the IRS. If the IRS is quadrophonic you are provided 4 independent channels in your mixer ( I'm not a Reaper user so my terms could be different from what they actually are) I could not get those 4 channels when I opened Altiverb as an FX. Maybe you as a Reaper power user can shed some light on it. Today, I will see how quadrophonic or 5.1 IRS get routed. The manual provided by Altiverb is the less informative manual I have read. All 30 pages of content for such a complex plugin. Couple that to the lack of third party information that is available (most likely due to its high price) and we are in for a long ride. At the end it is worth. I stopped using Altiverb after version 6 but agree with you, this 7XL is great.

Altiverb.jpg

Altiverb 2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List