Altiverb 7 XL

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by dr.evil, Feb 16, 2016.

1. dr.evil

dr.evil Kapellmeister

Thanks to the genius renegades AudioUTOPIA we now have the opportunity to test and play with this soft reverb.

Altiverb is a nice tool and it's quite a good thing to hear all those reverbs from famous operas and places..
    But is it really any better than any algorithmic reverbs, say Valhalla reverbs etc.?

I have never been a big fan of convolution reverbs tbh. Algorithmic reverbs are more flexibile when it comes to usability, tweakability and cpu hit..

What say you?

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

For me, algorithmic reverbs were mostly just to add "some" verb, convolution ones were the real thing, but in fact they're not so far apart from each other. Even 2C B2 when properly set up does sound like real IR.

What I don't get from AudioUTOPIA's recent release - what's the hype about? Altiverb 7 has new GUI, few more IRs, but the core is the same as Altiverb 6.12, which has been available to "us" for almost 10 years at this point. :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I gotta say.. im LOVING 7... dont care for the big knob.. the UI could be better, crisper... but when i i cycle thru just the tons of presets, for me.. better than any other reverb Ive used... just has an authenticity to it..

Yes, not SOOO much different from 6 but... def. better. for me, happy to have it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I would be happy to test it if Studio One was able to detect the plug-in.

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Detected, working great for me in in Studio One 3, X64 , Win 10.

7. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Gottta say, im also loving Rapture Pro... Tons of excellent, clean sounds and sequences.

8. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Seriously?
    I am running the same configuration except that it's 3.1 and not 3.

Have you done anything special during the installation?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  9. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Works in S1 v3.1.1

Default installation location was program files....steinberg/vstplugins, move it to your usual plugin folder.

10. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Exactly what I did. It is still unable to detect the plugin no matter what.

There's no way I 'm leaving S1 for another DAW because of this plugin, any other idea?

11. Erik_Menton

Erik_Menton Producer

It's good but nothing outstanding, the difference between v7 and v6 ,as afar as i remeber, is minimal, tons of impulses (but many are the same space just with different or mono mic) but less controls than HOFA for example.
    I still have to read the manual so i may be wrong (specifically about the gated function, i don't understand how it works)

12. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Fantastic reverb.

13. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Clean uninstall and then reinstall it. Choose your VSTPlugins folder when it asks. It's working here S1, Win10, x64.

14. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

That might be the only thing I didn't try, thanks.
    Will let you know tonight after work...

15. Slider

Slider Producer

I agree that there's not a major difference between v6.12 and v7, it's always IMO been a great reverb. I honestly believe a lot of the hype has to do somewhat with the state of major releases as they exist now compared to the "old days", when plugs like this were common place on a seemingly daily basis. I think many of us are so hungry for these top releases that they're relevance is sometimes blown out of proportion more for the fascination factor than the actual benefit it will have on our ability to make music. Don't get me wrong, did I DL this...you bet your ass I did, mostly for the same reasons I just explained! Have a great day! :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. Tealla

Tealla Kapellmeister

17. Adrianus Antonius

Adrianus Antonius Producer

difference between 6 and 7 is that seven introduced a part of algorithmic reverb, which can be blended in with an impulse response sample, that way allowing you to get a more lively type of a reverb or more reminiscent of lexicon and other hardware units...
    Valhalla is algorithmic, hence it's more of an effect like reverb, than real, but I'm a wrong guy to speak about it, because to me it's POS, quite honestly :rofl:

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

This one. Altiverb 7 allows tail modulation (meaning you don't get the same static response from the IR which is the big flaw commonly associated with convolution) while Altiverb 6 did not. Of course you may like the result or not.
    Valhalla stuff is a personal take on a particular kind of reverb, we should not forget that. The results are quite impressive and musical for me and if one should consider price/quality, nobody comes that close.

19. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Yes bundles of thanks to the team who generously shared this piece of art for people to try. Sadly, I uninstalled it because of personal preferences.

I am hooked on other convolution plugin, in fact a hybrid setup. Altiverb FOR ME was a hype. It is also that it was ilok protected that made it something supernatural. I had legit v6 which I used for a while but later I discovered that apart from it being rich in impulse responses, it had more or less same functions to offer which some other underrated convolution units could also deliver. So not to waste the resources I sold the licence. But yes the IRs it offers are great, and some are very very clean.

20. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Hi there! - just strange thing I don't understand about Altiverb 7 (discovering it only this afternoon). After installation, "VST3 Presets" subfolder is present (have files & subfolders) from "Documents", but VST3 plugins aren't provided (only VST2). Inside they're ".vstpreset" and ".aupreset" files (AU for Mac - or perhaps AudioUTOPiA?:hahaha:). Seriously... how can you "interpret" this? Is anyone here have used/tested these preset files? TIA.
    Note: very high quality convo, OMG, very nice GUI, but of course, it's... Altiverb! :beg:

21. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Loving Rapture Pro too! strangely, I'm discovering (yes, now) Altiverb 7 - lot of time was used for AIR custom installers developments last days - btw this afternoon is dedicated for play with this fantastic convo together with... Rapture Pro!

AudioUTOPiA = :beg: