Altiverb 7 not running properly in Logic Pro 10.8.1

Discussion in 'Logic' started by eyelion42, Jun 8, 2024.

1. eyelion42

eyelion42 Newbie

I recently migrated my files to a new computer and updated to Sonoma OSX, as well as a new version of Logic. Now, because I have quite a few older projects I haven't finished- and because no one has made Altiverb 8 easily available for a penniless guy like me- I still Altiverb 7 extensively, as my go-to reverb plugin.

But now I'm finding that Altiverb 7 doesn't want to appear in my dropdown menus when I try to use it. Some of my older projects load up fine, but I'm unable to make any adjustments to the plugin itself.

I've attempted downloading an installer to reinstall it, but every installer I've found is incompatible with Sonoma! I've considered running a virtual machine to use it, but that seems a bit drastic.
    (I also have old projects with Altiverb 6 and Speakerphone, but that's for another day.)

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

You probably aren't going to get this to work this way. Maybe you can find a Windows release of Altiverb that you can run inside Crossgridder.

Mac Altiverb 7 used iLok. The iLok bypass "Exploit" used to make it work, was to put an /iLok folder inside /Applications, and then the two modified libstdc dylib files inside that folder; and so SIP did not even need to be disabled. It causes the system to incorrectly use those files, instead of the ones located in protected folders. So of course, Apple made changes. You can still use Whiskey and Crossover, etc with Sonoma; but for releases which used either the OpenSSH or Hook modded dylibs; you probably need another solution. Maybe Parallels Desktop with an old MacOS will work, but I doubt it. Anyway, it is related to the MacOS version, and has nothing to do with Logic. Every DAW will do the same thing.

Google "macos dynamic linking library injection" or "dylib hijacking" for some more "accurate" reading than my short summary version of it. The summary is that you are probably SOL.

Here is an interesting tool I recently noticed, but I haven't check it out yet: https://objective-see.org/products/dhs.html

Dylib Hijack Scanner
    [​IMG]

Dylib Hijack Scanner or DHS, is a simple utility that will scan your computer for applications that are either susceptible to dylib hijacking or have been hijacked.
    The details behind this macOS attack were presented at CanSecW, in a presentation titled, 'DLL Hijacking' on OS X? #@%& Yeah!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Yeah, you aren't getting a newer Altiverb or Speakerphone working on Sonoma unless you buy it at the current time.

Did you lose your old system? If you still have it, I'd bounce the stuff.

Or become familiar with some new reverbs and other tools that can get you where you want to be. They are out there. Not the same of course. But when you go to Sonoma or an M chipped Mac, you gotta understand that you are leaving certain things behind, both legit, and certainly previously known cracks/patches etc.

Or you can start saving, as they are not cheap. But they are not cracked.

5. traysamuels

traysamuels Kapellmeister

I had to login in , because I don't think the folks that commented have been using altiverb7 . I use it with the write over in code , I found on another site , I forgot where I found it , but yes , since updated to Sonoma , altiverb 7 is glitchy , but it still loads up .

6. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Quick off-topic, sorry.

Props to my Dallas brother, from here in Fort Worth!!

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

I am using Altiverb 7 XL, but on High Sierra. You mean the old /usr/bin/auval patch trick? That's great, if you want to help someone with that. I'm not.