alternatives to vocodex? (bass design, transients, guns)

Discussion in 'Software' started by thechandraman, May 25, 2024.

1. thechandraman

thechandraman Newbie

Anytime I try to follow someones sound design who uses FL, they use vocodex(looking at you seamlessr). It has a disperser like quality at high bands that no other vocoder has as well as sounding amazing. I've scoured the internet for vocoders and can't find anything close (waldorf lector is the closest one i've found, but it doesn't have a formant knob or that vocodex disperser quality). Anyone in ableton found how to get around this hurdle? Is there a vocoder that's best? No vocoder with ability to adjust the bands (mvocoder, ableton's vocoder) sounds close. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I don't know what Vocodex sounds like, but Disperser is literally just a couple dozen allpass filters stacked on the same frequency. Have you tried your favourite vocoder plus an allpass stack like AllPassPhase (free)? Or maybe kiloHearts Phase Distortion, also free I believe - that's not Disperser-like though.

4. 11Fletcher

11Fletcher Platinum Record

Not sure if you can easily translate what you see in those tutorial to another plugin, but you can get similar result with Ovox from Wave, maybe with VocalSynth 2 from iZotope.

Depending on the type of sound you're after, you could also use Multipass or Snap Heap from Kiloheart, you'll have to build you're own preset but it can surely give some similar result, using their disperser, some comb filter/EQ, pitch shifter and/or formant filter. Not as convenient as Vocodex, but you'll have way more control on the sound and modulation (maybe there's a preset there that could give a good starting point)

5. Downlo

Downlo Producer

Not sure if this one is still available. But i remember using VoxPopulus by TubeOhm.
    That was version 1 now they have a version 2. Maybe even better?:dunno:
    You can load your own carrier waves in version 1. Used to do that with a Growl, Wobble Bass from Massive (Nat. Instr.)
    Best result ever. :guru:
    But indeed the Fl Studio one was really good aswell.

6. thechandraman

thechandraman Newbie

thanks, but yeah i'm looking for more of a vocoder with that quality, not just tacking disperser at the end which makes it sound less clean compared to using vocodex

7. thechandraman

thechandraman Newbie

hey, i've tried it with both of these as well. Works better on Ovox but they don't have multiband vocoder adjustor like vocodex. Thanks for the response tho

8. thechandraman

thechandraman Newbie

Damn, I would try this if it was on mac

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Look into Krotos Reformer Pro and Zynaptiq Morph.