Alternatives to the Music Industry - Idea Collection and Exchange

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by BEAT16, Jun 24, 2022.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Alternatives to the Music Industry - Idea Collection and Exchange

First, all musicians need more knowledge about exploitation in the music industry.
    We need an alternative platform for the exchange of ideas and knowledge.
    In short, the revolution can only come from below.

Then we need think tanks to work out alternatives:

How to found a support association for cultural workers.
    How to get insurance coverage for live performances.
    How to create self-managed cultural centers.
    How to start your own record label.
    How to organize street festivals.
    how to organize concerts.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Bold and well motivated - good luck

4. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Clearly the topic of co-ops is going to emerge in your discussion.
    Here's one of many possible intros https://blog.fracturedatlas.org/what-are-artist-co-ops
    and even if not modern-oriented, examples like these have history
    https://www.theguardian.com/social-enterprise-network/2013/aug/28/music-cooperatives-arts-survival
    https://theartistcooperative.com/
    A note of skepticism - some of these start off with the noble ideals of a coop and end up looking like 2nd rate music businesses. But they can still be explored for lessons and ideas

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  5. macros

macros Guest

Hey Beat16, not sure if this is relevant or helpful but while i was looking for resources in my area the Music Care Foundation was mentioned. I feel like a fucking parasite already so i didn't take any of their money- but I did call them and they seem like a cool fucking foundation. it's to help professional musicians (which apparently i count as LOLOLOL because i've got some songs published on compilation albums and i saved a poster from a show i'm not even sure i ended up playing because i'm insane) out, and they were willing to like cut checks for rent/health stuff and what not.

i'm not implying you contact them or try to join them or anything haha (although personally i would like to volunteer for them someday if that's a thing and i'm able) BUT i am saying they seem to be a fairly large charitable organization that is based around professional musicians.... so maybe there is something there worth extrapolating and you could apply?

https://www.musicares.org/

And i should emphasize i'm basing my positive thoughts on them on a 15 minute long conversation i had with a lady who worked there. I've been dealing with a lot of people over the phone about shit like my life and whatnot the last year or two- when someone really cares and is trying to help it's evident. She really was more helpful than I expect anyone to be for my dumbass, but beyond that i can't say too much I guess.

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Germany- Hamburg

The motor ship Stubnitz is a center for current live music, club culture and performance.
    It is an extraordinary and versatile venue, moored in Hamburg's HafenCity.
    www.stubnitz.com

The aim of FairTix is to make the music clubs a bit more independent of the big ticketing companies and to send
    a signal against rising system booking fees in advance sales by means of solidarity-based community actions.

MS Stubnitz Tour 2022