Alternative to Waves plugins?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by mrpsanter, Apr 16, 2015.

1. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I'm unable to use the Waves release from R2R for some reasons therefore I was wondering what you guys would suggest that would be in the same league or even better (if it exists)?

3. focusrite

focusrite Platinum Record

Which plugins do you use most?

4. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

This is a personal taste and really the one that have a better collecion is UAD.
    This post isnt new só search for GIYF.
    Also if you do solve basic issues like installed the most popular collection you must forgive to work with computers.
    Search and try, theres a lot of foruns about that.
    Also do not believe in any oppinion about that, comparing and testing are basic and obrigatory tasks for anyone that wants to make music *yes* :wink:

5. mono

mono Audiosexual

There are lots of R2R versions to try *yes*
    if you want only x86 you could try v8
    if your looking for x64 and x86 start at v9r1 and see how it goes,

6. Soul Runna

Soul Runna Guest

IMHO, plugins is not what will solve save your Mixdown or Master.

If you have good concepts about ADSR, Equalization, Effects, Panning, etc., so you can do a good job with any reasonable tool.

Obviously there are good tools that have better quality than others. Of course,most of us here would rather have a hardware to do the job. But even if you have the world's best tools if don't know how to use them, it's a waste of time.

It's like they said the other day here about what would be the best EQ tool for use in Ableton. Several members suggested a lot of renowned plugins but had a member who said. "I just need EQ8 because is all I need. Process are similar for all other tools".

We need be simple. To do things with the least possible because creativity appears when you are limited. Be limited, in many cases, is the best of all worlds because you will want to overcome this limitation and is where you grow.

And in my ignorance and little I know, I prefer a thousand times FabFilter than Waves Plugins. FabFilter for president.

7. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

@IMHO, plugins is not what will solve save your Mixdown or Master.

If you have good concepts about ADSR, Equalization, Effects, Panning, etc., so you can do a good job with any reasonable tool.

I was just gonna say similar thing to that :)

(I think) Mixing, mastering and discovering new things are also very enjoyable on computer.

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I think IK Multimedia T-RackS plugins are a better alternative to Waves. Especially if you compare Waves reverb plugins with IKM Classik Studio Reverb. IMO IK compressors are better, EQs are better, channel plugins are better. The only IK plugins that, nore or less, aren't that great are older, yellow and white series, plugins. Soft limiter is very usable for gentle limiting, for instance. For some serious limiting I would use something better, like Voxengo Elephant.

If I had to use only IKM plugins, I would also miss Sonimus gain staging console plugins, Voxengo SPAN, and some modulation plugins like Valhalla Ubermod, and some delay, chorus, phaser, and distortion plugins. Speaking of these, you can get excellent quality, all of modulation and distortion plugins you need, with IKM Amplitube, but it's a bit overkill to run Amplitube only for chorus or phaser. ;)

Cheers!

9. SonicBoomer

SonicBoomer Producer

There are some incredible plugin manufactures out there. Waves is merely one.
    My favorite purchases come from: Acustica Audio - Aqua Plugins & Nebula Libraries, Slate Digital,
    FabFilter, iZotope and Melodyne.
    I still update my Waves plugins for client compatibility sake but they aren't my goto plugs like a decade ago.

I won't say it doesn't matter what you use because all plugins DO NOT sound alike. They're NOT built alike.
    Some aren't like others but their sound are worth far more than an initial learning curve.

At the end of the day, they're all just tools.
    Waves is arguably one of the oldest and best plugin manufactures in the market
    but you'll be amazed and pleasantly surprised of the world outside and in some cases, completely beyond them in sonic quality.

10. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

I think Waves is best but there are also some free plug-ins which are very cool.

11. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

I don't understand why you are unable to use waves plugins? can you explain more?

12. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

plugin alliance would be my choice if you can't use Waves Plugins

13. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

MeldaProduction ?
    Blue Cat Audio ?

14. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

Please join my topic too actually it is related to this topic.

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/15933-presets-and-setups-sharing-area/page__p__105463__fromsearch__1#entry105463

15. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

It's important to understand that the "designer" plug-ins (Kramer, CLA, Vig, Maserati, et al.) were designed according to the specifications of recording/mix engineers whose particular tools-of-the-trade are aggregates of different effects and brands thereof: this compressor goes with that EQ, with this limiter and that modulation box and this delay/reverb. One's "signature sound" comes from long periods of trial-and-error, and I have, myself, arrived at something of the sort by trying this-and-that, to see what sticks in the mix.

Since you mention "R2R," I take it that you're not talking about spending (much) money for plug-ins, so below are some great freebies. Pardon me if you know of them already, or if others have mentioned them. I just like them a lot:

Voxengo free plug-ins:
    http://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugins/

Compressor/EQ/Limiter:
    https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

MFree Bundle:
    http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/product.php?id=MFreeEffectsBundle

Klanghelm saturation:
    http://klanghelm.com/IVGI.php
    - & compression:
    http://klanghelm.com/DC1A.php

TDR Feedback Compressor:
    http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-feedback-compressor-2/

Blue Cat freebies - EQ & modulation:
    http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Bundle_FreewarePack/

16. SonicBoomer

SonicBoomer Producer

Already acknowledged as arguably the best. The question was about Waves alternatives.
    An on topic and specific reply, would suit the person posing it far better than responding to me and my taste.

17. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I followed the instructions and I see that the plugins are authorized in license center but when launching studio one I received an error message stating that no license can be found.

18. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

@Already acknowledged as arguably the best. The question was about Waves alternatives.

I know so i said i think (my personal view) it is...

@An on topic and specific reply, would suit the person posing it far better than responding to me and my taste.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly but my message was also a general message not just a reply to you.

For example EZmix (and nobody talked about that here) is another alternative my friend (topic owner actually :D) and also CPU friendly but there are really lots of options :)

19. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

I don't know other versions but 9r24 works very well without any problem, it also supports VST3 and 64 bit. As i said EZmix is a good alternative too.

20. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

did you create a .wle licence file using the enclosed generator and place that file into the correct folder location (and do not change the file name)?

is your computer ID correct for the licence generator?

21. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

As I wrote, I followed the instructions therefore I will answer Yes to all your questions.