Alternative to Ni Kontakt

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by nunziaforum, Dec 28, 2015.

1. nospectre

nospectre Member

tal sampler is really cool. emulating that old sampler sound is a breeze and even without that, it's capable of a lot + user friendly imo. kontakt is going to be a standart for a while, simply because of the amount of libraries out there. and the scripting stuff is what set it apart from everyone else and made that standart. so no surprise there. uvi is getting close, but unless there's going to be more choice then xbox and ps4, i rather stay with kontakt exclusively.

2. Nitrophos

Nitrophos Ultrasonic

I know a guy that works exclusively with soundfonts (makes his own) and won't move up to kontakt due to control issues (and learning). Personally I work with akai instruments a lot and just extract the samples using ESC and use them at will with the fl studio sampler or C700 Sampler instead of outputting as kontakt instrument just for extra control and manipulation.

3. nunziaforum

nunziaforum Ultrasonic

Tal Sampler and 'good to import all the audio samples Fantastic :) but it does not matter any sequence midi otherwise was great for me :)

4. franknitty69

franknitty69 Newbie

there isn't an alternative to kontakt. its depth just can't be matched. if you want the sampler capability of kontakt then alternatives for that would be exs 24, halion and machfive.

some other alternatives include uvi falcon, directwave (fl studio), simpler/sampler (ableton), nn-19/nn-xt (reason), xfadelooper and cumulus.

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Stick with Kontakt.. and please dont post anymore threads in all caps.

6. nunziaforum

nunziaforum Ultrasonic

Excuse me dear you are right, forgetting of caps :) right now :)

7. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

:cheers:

8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Are you sure you know the difference between a sampler and a DAW (DIgital Audio Workstation/Sequencer)?
    What you seem to want to accomplish sounds more like using a DAW in the first place, because you usually import MIDI files in your DAW, not your sampler!
    The fact that some samplers like Kontakt allow for MIDI import may have misled you to think that it's built just for that purpose?
    You first import the MIDI in your DAW, then you use Kontakt or any other VST instrument to play the notes in each MIDI track. You may have to split the MIDI file into its individual tracks if it is a multi-track MIDI file, so one instrument won't play all channels and sound like a mess.

Your original post suggests that you also like to use snippets ("clips") of existing compositions or MIDI files in your compositions.
    Ableton Live would be a good choice because you can import these clips by simple drag & drop of your MIDI files onto different cells in SESSION view and then play around with them. Start them, stop them, change start/end/loop points, halve/double the playback speed of each individual clip and so on. Yes, and all will play at the same BPM in-sync.
    By modifying start/end points you could even build up poly-rhythmic arrangements, and then shift each by modifying the start points so they all start in-sync but with a different offset.

9. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

how many people here are missinformed , Kontakt are not an Sampler , Kontakt are an Sample Player

10. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

So what? :bleh:

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Kontakt for libraries and Vember Shortcircuit 2 for samples.
    Shortcircuit 1 and 2 kicks Kontakt in the butt in many way, despite being freeware.

12. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

The only problem I have about Kontakt is peoples over obsession with it and the libraries it provides... yes Kontakt is great but it is not the be all end all of making music... maybe in the sample playing market, but not in the whole computer music world...

Sometimes with the way it is hyped, I feel like some people think if they don't have it, they can't make good music... which is totally not true...

Otherwise, Native Instruments in general has some pretty powerful stuff in their catalogue, not just Kontakt...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

okay, technically you are correct - it is not a sampler because it does not have the capability of recording your own samples. but for the sake of brevity most people refer to it as a sampler instead of a sample playback instrument. and you can build your own sample library in kontakt as long as you record the samples with any other recording software.

14. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Given the new problematic Kontakt version 5.6, it's time to look seriously for an alternative to Kontakt.
    Looking for a real Sampler, with libraries possibilities.

What do you think about Sample tank?
    Are there other alternatives? (not drum machines, nor daw editing)

15. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

One alternative, or better, alternative for sample playback, is TX16Wx.
    I don't know a single alternative that comes close to Kontakt's user-accessible scripting engine combined with custom UI support.

I don't like it. It's not bad, but it uses just another closed-source, proprietary format that naturally imposes the same future risks as Kontakt does.
    If I remember correctly, IK M. spent a remarkable amount of time fixing old, user-reported bugs with their V3 release of SampleTank until it actually worked on an acceptable level of stability, so if I had to choose between NI and IKM, today I would instantly choose NI.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  16. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Steve/XferRecs should make a samples/player. I bet it would be awesome:wink:

17. HeklaCF63

HeklaCF63 Guest

Elastik

18. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

So many answers here which are not in relation to the question :)
    Most you mentiond do not have a built in Sequencer.

Probably Falcon or Halion both have a built in Sequencer.
    Transfuser is a nice Phrase Sampler as well but its GUI is anything else than fun :)

Samplers with built in Sequencer:
    • Halion
    • Falcon
    • Kontakt (scripts)
    • Redux
    • Transfuser
    • MachFive ? (RIP)

do I miss any ?

19. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

The only competition remained that has the same amount of depth as Kontakt is: Magix/Yellow Tools Independence Pro
    Plus Best Service Engine is also based on it and you can open Engine libraries in Independence. And there are tons of libraries.

Like some people said, Kontakt is no sampler. its a powerful sample player, A platform, with a few sampler capabilities.
    Probably the main reason of Kontakt popularity is due to 3rd party libraries and having a cracked version available.

20. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I don't think the 5 people who gave you negative ratings knew you were joking. :facepalm: