Alternative to Massey DRT?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mercurysoto, Oct 19, 2014.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Hi folks, here's a Sunday morning question to pop. Since the beginning of the year, I decided to leave behind my sick love for Pro Tools and embraced the loving arms of Logic. Fine. To be honest, after years and versions of Pro Tools under my belt (since 6.4), Logic feels home now and I'm staying there. However, I don't want to feed the fire on the Pro-Tools-against-the-world war. A fair conclusion is that whatever works for one is the best DAW.

Back to Logic, I've been using the Drum Replacement feature (^D), and I've always gotten fairly good results, but not totally accurate. I'm now working on dubbing drum hits and making them midi notes to later enhance the drum tracks with a virtual instrument (EZDrummer, AD, or a Komtakt instrument). I only do it for drums, not cymbals or overhead/room mics.

The problems I encounter are basically false hits, missing hits, and inaccurate velocity calculations, especially with snare hits. Things like ghost notes or flams are simply ignored. Of course, I've been fixing them after conversion, but it is time consuming.

In my experience, Massey's DRT is the best drum replacement plugin ever. Period. I've tried others, and hands down DRT is the winner.

However, it's only for Pro Tools.

Finally the question:

Is there an alternative to Massey DRT that I might be unaware of? Or maybe, is there a workflow or setup to make Logic's Drum Replacement more accurate?

I hope you still have the energy to drop a line after my long post :).

Have a nice one, folks.

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

There's this: http://spl.info/index.php?id=1120&L=1

and

http://www.drumwerks.com/free_drum_replacement_software.html via google(some Mac VSTs may be available as AU)

Depending on logic ver, may not accept AU32

4. Dow Jones

Dow Jones Newbie

Steve slate has a drum exchanger I'm not sure what its called or how it works but something to look up