Alternative to Ccleaner

Discussion in 'PC' started by Martel, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

I've been using that one for about 10 years I think but every time they update it, they send a phishing attempt to install an antivirus I don't need.

Anything better or as good out there ? (Without bloatware obviously)

3. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

CCleaner has been junkware for days... but as we're creatures of habit, I stuck with it for way too long. :rofl:
    I've been using Glary Utilities for a while now; both the free and paid version are solid, and seem to be bullshit-free. :yes:

https://www.glarysoft.com/

Glary-Utilities_result.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I don' think this has a reg cleaner unless I am missing something.

5. Stef321

Stef321 Newbie

Wise Disk Cleaner here, free version is just enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

IOBit Advanced System Care

Older version 13.7 (without the AI BS)

7. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

Here JV16 Power Tools.

8. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

9. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

It has. Only, the free version does not have deep scan option.

10. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

I'll just throw this in here:
    For cleaning up Windows Update files that keep the old version so you can recover to the old one for a month after an update, sure (though Disk Cleanup built into Windows can do that just as well). Same for cache of your browser or whatever that gets out of hand. But "reg cleaner" is a huge buzzword for something that best case does literally nothing useful, worst case manifests itself as a huge pain in the butt with applications crashing for no apparent reason and giving you a nightmare to debug. There's no reason whatsoever to use such software in 2023.

11. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

For disk cleaning:
    Wise Care 365, Win 10 Tweaker, Clean Master, Advanced System Care, HDCleaner, WI Cleanup (msi installs junk cleaner) /you need them all/
    For registry cleaning:
    Vit Registry Fix /the best + cleans recursively in several passes/, WinASO Registry Optimizer, Reg Organizer, Wise Registry Cleaner.

12. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Thanks for the info

13. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Yes MS know best, Not really,
    As you know when you install and remove a lot of things there are reg key all over the place that make the registry bigger and slower.
    If you don't install and remove a lot no reg cleaner is needed.

14. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

I know a person who cleaned 7000+ junk registry entries in one session.
    I believe most people are eager to try new software and do it on regular basis, and they do need a registry cleaner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

@Qrchack Haha, Not coming at you directly, but I got a chuckle out of "Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners."
    From Win10 on, MS has shown that it's more about self-preservation than serving the users needs. Take a look at numerous responses by MS staff that they consider to be "answers" to the storm of issues that Windows throws your way as proof of this. Any third-party solutions offered by knowledgeable people other than the MS staff are shot down with cheap scare tactics, meanwhile the staff advertise MS tools for a fix, tools that are behind paywalls, instead of being stock standard utilities built into the OS. Not shocking, but shysty AF.:rofl:

16. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Been using older versioned Ccleaner and just disabled the updater and blocked in FW. NO junkware/garbage like newer ones. Only things they added in newer versions is the adware/phishing junk. nothing additionally relevant...

17. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

The registry is an ancient monster that's kept for legacy reasons and most devs go to great lengths to bypass it by using whatever else they can get away with, so it's much less of an issue than it ever has been. In two decades of using computers, I have not needed to clean my registry once, any time I tried it out of curiosity changed literally nothing, except remove empty unused keys which had zero effect. These days with NVMe storage, RAM and CPU power aplenty, who cares really.

I'm yet to experience the "bigger and slower" you're talking about
    I don't think they need a registry cleaner, they need a backup solution, possibly a VM setup with snapshots, or just a separate playground system which might very well just be on a different drive or partition in dual boot. Sandboxie is a great lighter option as well.

18. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

It's not quite true that most devs go to great lengths to bypass it by using whatever else they can get away with. Very few devs use ini or the like files instead.
    It's true that it affects the speed very slightly, but junk should be treated as junk.

19. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Ccleaner is fine, you just have to remember to not install the f***** antivirus (it annoys me as well, haha)

20. triplechin

triplechin Guest

CC user here. Last year I tried another company doing a basic everyday type of clean and it totally deleted important system files causing all sorts of strange issues. I don't remember which one it was, but a popular one often recommended, so I went back to CC because it just works. But I only use the custom cleaner, registry cleaner and uninstaller tool, the rest can be sketchy. My point is, be careful with some of these and always have a backup / restore plan in place beforehand!

21. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

You're not wrong, but I'm with @pratyahara on this one, as I've had issues over the years with the registry due to uninstalled plugins leaving residuals. And that's solely registry/license trip-ups, as I use RevoUninstaller, and do thorough searches with UltraSearch, in case anything installed made itself a little too comfy on my PC. Big fan of grabbing portable versions of whatever I can over here. :rofl: