Alternative to BIAS AMP

Discussion in 'Software' started by pelao, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

I really didn't like how glassy it was. It's really good though, just not for me.

2. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

in the sister site it's the version 2.6, they added vox cabs

3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@Montgent, are you using the built in cabinets or does it have this glassy sound with IR/Nebula, etc.
    @pelao, that's the version I'm going to use for testing. I'll be testing it, and Bias together, and comparing to Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Kazrog, Mecurial, etc. All my testing will be only using the amp simulations.

4. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

can you make a video about that ? it will be awesome

5. G String

G String Rock Star

Having tried all the usual suspects I most liked the sound of Line6 PodFarm. I almost bought one of their physical (digital modelling) amps because of it. I actually bought a Marshall instead (why have somebody else's effort at it?)

The sound is better out of a (£150 - 30W) practice Marshall amp than it is out of a VST imo. I like *that* sound.

6. digitaldragon

I can try. I'll have to research the best way to record voice/screen/DAW output at the same time while I'm in the DAW. Never done this before. Also, my shootout would be different amp simulations running into Nebula cabinets as that will be how I will use it.

7. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

My main gripe with the Bias plugs was the fact that, despite proper firewall blocking, they would always somehow un-authorize themselves. Even with their eq's and compressors. I love their concept of fiddling with internal components, but Revalver already has that too. @digitaldragon I'd love to see that video too.

8. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

did you try editing your hosts file for blocking postive grid, in the r2r note says that you got to block positive grid in hosts file. I did it and it works

9. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

Yeah, I did that, but something kept happening. It would usually happen when I installed something new. Even when I had it all working alright, it really didn't meet my expectations of the hype though, so it didn't really bother me. I wanted to reclaim all that hard drive space anyways.

10. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

is rare, i've installed first bias amp before the fx and the 2 versions are activated

11. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

I did too, then I added the compressors and eq's, then updated the old guitar plugs. Even though I always uninstall and clean my registry, it kept happening. It doesn't matter much to me though, cause I wasn't overly impressed regardless.

12. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

I mostly use 3 Sigma Audio cabs with S-Gear. They have a somewhat scooped character that blends well with the warm and midi nature of S-Gear. Same way Thermionik sounds better to me with Ownhammer impulses. S-Gear impulses are not aimed to metal, although there is 4x12 I think that can do the trick if you have nothing else.

S-Gear takes a while to figure it out how it works. For example the wayfarer has like 4 gain stages: Input gain at the bottom, gain, lead gain, post gain... That is because it's supposed to work like a cascading gain circuit of a real amp. It's behavior reflects it, and you have to set it up that way to get good tones as in real amps (cut down the bass, add it with the graphic Eq). The Wayfarer it's based on the Fender/Mesa Mark series circuit. Tell someone a Mark series is not good for metal...

Also, metal is a very broad genre. Perhaps people should say that is not good for DJENT, which is notorious for its shrill and thin guitar sound. Exactly the opposite of what S-Gear sounds (nice and warm). The Wayfarer can cover up pretty much any territory besides that, and it can do it as well with a little of EQ trickery and adjusting of the advanced settings (preamp setup, mid shift, etc).

Keep in mind I'm the first dude always saying that S-Gear needs a dedicated modern metal amp. This would put lots of users at ease and widen their userbase. Now, saying that S-Gear sucks for metal is a VERY different thing. My main preset is a Wayfarer + 3 Sigma Mesa Oversized impulse with NO boost. It does Arch Enemy/Lamb of God stuff wonderfully.

13. Fer Zeleid

Fer Zeleid Member

I'd like to test Nebula IR's but in Acustica Audio I can only buy the Nebula Server. I've tried to find Nebula 3 for OSX in sister site but I couldn't. In the Ownhammer site they say that Nebula Free can´t load their impulses...so I'm utterly lost.

14. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

did you use the firewall for the apps?, is important the crack method, i use "authorize by mac adress" i you did that and it not works, sorry i don´t know what could it be

15. digitaldragon

@Torrao, I think what you are describing, tweaking and adjusting to get what you want, is where a lot of people lose patience because they are after a "magic" plugin that sounds exactly like what they envision. Just like ALL other aspects of music production, there is no magic "one size fits all" solution for anything.
    I remember the time I had spent going through listening to all of the different mic configurations for the AE Nebula Cabs, there must be 50 or more! But you've got to do this stuff if you're going to find "that" sound that you are after. No shortcuts there.
    In this way, it's kind of like mic'ing a real cab. If you just point and record, you might get lucky but usually not. You've got to try different mic positions and even mics to find the tone you're after.
    And as in recording, you've got to make adjustments to the amp as well.
    @Fer Zeleid, It may be due to the Nebula 4 release that Nebula 3 Server is all that's available in the Nebula 3 line. AFAIK, the Nebula 3 presets will work with Nebula 4. There are a lot of Nebula users here in the know on that I suppose. Maybe @WillTheWeirdo would be a good source for that answer.
    As far as Nebula 3 Free I know that most of these libraries won't work with it. There were some released somewhere that were for the free version, but I never got around to trying them. It'd be a good way to test for you if you can still locate them.
    Anyone tried using AE or Ownhammer cabinet libraries with Nebula 4 yet?

16. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i have installed the s gear 2.60 release form team vr and it says that it's not activated, if someone solve this issue help me :bow::lmao:

17. digitaldragon

@pelao, you'll probably get asked what OS and DAW.

18. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

windows 7 theres no mac release of sgear, repaer and standalone

19. johnyrebb

johnyrebb Ultrasonic

20. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister