Alternative to BIAS AMP

Discussion in 'Software' started by pelao, Jan 12, 2017.

1. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

Hello guys i have bias amp but the gui is slow to use in my notebook, many people have this software on the top but i think that is not the only, Is there any similar software to bias ?

3. stalkyard

stalkyard Newbie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

If what you look for is dynamic tube-amp sound, S-Gear.

5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

BIAS Amp is slow even on my i7 desktop. It's a shame because it's such a cool plugin, and yes the interface is stunning, but it does make me think twice about using it.

That said, BIAS Amp man... woooooo

6. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Kazrog and s gear covers everything

7. zandretta

zandretta Member

look up Pvfireball vst,its a free head designed from the engl fireball,use ir's after the head if your going for uber crazy high gain(not sure if he has mac stuff,its 32 bit,tried it with the ownhammer stuff......its wicked,he also has another one called the storm for a more clean high gain sound......

8. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I say Peavey Revalver - Overloud TH3 - IK Multimedia Amplitube 4 all those sounds equally good i.m.o
    And so does Kuassa,s ampsims and then there is Mercuriall,s ampsims which is also good
    And why not try out Lepoul and other free ampsims?
    With a good IR loaded they sound equally good as any bought plugin but then again you dont get many different amps in one plugin as you do in most bought amkpsims or lots of pedals and other bells and whistles as in a bought ampsim.
    It is really in the cab you can tell the difference between ampsims.
    If you compare only the amp itself they sound very similar to eachother trust me i have done a test running all ampsims i have thrue the same matched IR = A Marshall of course with a Marshall IR and Mesa with a Mesa IR etc and they sounded very similar
    So much that when i asked people to guess which is which noone answered simply because they didnt want to make a fool of themself

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

I like Kuassa mainly (very much into simplicity+good sound), but now I'm really liking the Lostin70s freeware amp (which I never knew about until it was posted at sister. Very smooth.

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Kemper Profiling Amp :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i have tried all the softwares that you say and i find that all sound bad :
    amplitube 4 : it´s like a toy

bias: it's sound good when you are playing but in the mix is awfull i mean the sound has no bright it's more bass and midlle bosted

thermionik: i leave it when i use savage 130 (engl amp) cause the sound it's always saturate even turning saturation at 0 and the clean don't convinces me

revalver : Is rare but is not up to any of the above

s gear 2 : it's the best but just only for clean tones and crunchy, in distortion sucks :(

lepou: it's good for rythm but in the soloing it's more digital

kuassa: i tried 5 minutes and i unistalled

TH3: sooo much background noise for everything

12. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

if i have so much money to buy a kemper , I would not be asking anything here hahaha

13. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

A real amp.

• Dislike x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

You will get one eventually :mates:

15. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

if you have means, can bias and just get any amp plugin from / by UAD

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  16. Mattc90

Mattc90 Kapellmeister

It sounds to me that your problem isn't the amp simulators but how hot a signal you are feeding them and/ or what kind of signal you are feeding them with. If your line-in guitar signal has too much bass/ mid/ treble, so will your tone. That's why people use things like EQ or tone shaping pedals before a real amp.

Similarly if you have a shitty signal to noise ratio coming from your audio interface (or whatever you're using to get your guitar signal into your computer) you'll have more noise in your guitar tone because it'll lift the noise floor so much. Amplified tones are after all just shaped distortion. I feel it's unfair to knock such fantastic software for being "awful" just because your personal experience is mired by your setup.

I've heard plenty of fantastic tones coming from all of the amp sims you mentioned.

All of the problems you mention sound like they could be improved by proper routing and signal flow optimisation. If you clip your amp sim it'll introduce digital distortion to your tone which will make it sound awful, similarly to if you have too much bass in your DI signal. Signal to noise ratio can be improved by using a balanced signal to input your DI guitar i.e. by using a DI box or converting the signal to XLR to reduce the electrical/ cable noise of unbalanced signals.

I could say a lot more on this subject but you get the picture. Fair enough some sims are better than others but I can guarantee you by experimenting and optimising every part of your setup you can easily get a great tone out of all of those sims.

The final thing I'll say is: The CAB is at least 50% (or more) of how 'good' your tone is and how well it'll fit into a mix. Third party cab IRs are almost always far better than the stock ones you get with amp sims so that'd be something else to try out.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Agree 100% with this statement. I will rarely use the built in cabinet simulators in any ampsim package since I've been using the AE Nebula Cabs and they blow away IR's IMHO. Next best thing to micing an actual amp/cab. I just can't seem to get the amp sims and cab emulations to even get close in terms of that feeling of amplified power!

I really like this Krank Amp sim. FREE! Link for it is in the video description.

18. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

great explanation man, i have a lexicon alpha interface it's not a good but is great and yes i've heard good tones coming from most all amp sims and in cabs i have the ownhammer series, so i have 2 question for all of you: ownhammer cabs have 44,48,96 samples IR must i delete the others and keep the 96 sampled or not? and what amp sim is your favorite?

19. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

get a better notebook,Bias Amps run fine on my system.

20. Nightwalker

21. Nightwalker

please man:dont: