Alternative rock mix failed car test

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by DPA, Oct 11, 2022.

1. DPA

DPA Ultrasonic

Hi everyone. I’m somewhat a beginner and tried to master a track of my own and it sounds a lot worse on car speakers than on my monitors. For anyone willing to give a feedback here’s a link. Many thanks

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/4t6FdoxRGuT7hk5P6

3. executioner

executioner Guest

your track has interesting ideas, but the mix needs to be touched up a lot. I'd fix the mix first before looking at mastering your track.

It's lacking oomph, there's just too much air that needs to be tamed a little, vocals are too loud, rhodes low end needs to be tamed a bit as well, but that's just my preference

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

wdym ? it suppose to sound worse than on your monitor, it is only strange if it sounds better.

5. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

6. ampworks

ampworks Producer

Alternative rock ?

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

it sounds pretty good. there is a guitar at 1:20 that really jumps out pretty badly. It's harsh or abrasive, and I would put a De-esser on it; along with dialing it down some. It's throughout the entire song.

There is some type of hi-mid resonance going on in a narrow-ish band, like it was supposed to be part of the overheads reverb? A small bit is ok but it's going to become a distraction, or annoying after a few more listens.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  8. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

glad someone said it before i did, lol. no disrespect to op, but, alt rock??????????????? then kraftwerk must be gospel and ac/dc is r&b.

9. mino45

mino45 Kapellmeister

What kind of a monitoring system are you using? It seems to be quite far off of what is actually happening. You should get a pair of decent headphones that will reproduce the lowend somewhat realistically. It will surely help you with judging your mixing decisions.

10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The solution is obviously to buy a new car.

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  11. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I was talking with Dan Worral last week. His advice in this situation would be to use a decent reference track as a guide, as everybody's ears are different leading to different outcomes. It's really the ONLY way to have confidence in your finished product!

Or a motor bike. That would give you better distortion:P

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

i understand if the ash tray's full that can afffect the acoustics

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

how did you master this? a "mastering plugin" or a combo of eq and compression chains? I would say you got way to much energy at 4k to 10k range and that should be dipped out with a low Q and bring up a lil in the mids... It does sound a little thin and I think its becuase the balance of the mix isnt right (tonally). "Mastering" a bad mix only accentuates its badness

14. DPA

DPA Ultrasonic

@all Sorry if I offended anyone with alt rock title. Sounded pop/ish rock/ish and decided to name it that lol. No hard feelings please.

@madbuzzin corrective Eq slight compression,slight saturation, multiband comp, 2 clippers and a limiter. Thin as low end you mean?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

don't give it another thought. just folks giving you a bit of fun light ribbing is all. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. clone

clone Audiosexual

Fabfilter Pro-DS. Many people (especially people working with lots of vocal tracks) think that a De-Esser is primarily a processor for vocal sibilance. @madbuzzin mentions the 4K-10K range, De-essing is often added to treat around 4K-7K. It's kind of like a Gate, in that they are used much more frequently than the online chatter would lead you to believe. It's not the most noticeable effect.

17. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Maybe it's a magic car that turns any song into alt rock.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  18. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I'm of no help with your initial question, but would just say that I don't think anyone was offended.. just they thought it was the wrong classification. I would put this under pop, or some subgenre.. maybe even under EDM like other tracks of yours, but it does seem like a form of pop to my ears. Nothing rock about this in any way, IMO. It is definitely best to classify it right so you ensure you get the right audience of people listening to your tracks, is all. Anyways, I don't really care for pop music, myself, but just thought I'd say it sounds like a good track! Hope you get the mixing sorted out.

19. reticular

reticular Kapellmeister

I liked the track on the first listen, but as what @madbuzzin said, top end sibilance, and snare are constantly pushing me away and i kinda searching for the midrange.

I was like, let´s dig the vocal

What i used to squash it more is also a clipper, several narrow q-s on 5-10k area and a deeser. Oh yea, and a limiter, so no dynamics whatsoever.

Snare could be more in tune with the vocal, hats could also be a bit phased so that top end of the vocal fully dominates.

This could also be complete b.s., what do i know

20. emax2

emax2 Ultrasonic

Do what Quincy Jones did with Michael Jackson's Thriller album. Quincy would listen to a mix on a boom box. Quincy said " if the mix sounds good on this it will sound good on any system.

21. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

Better, but yes, these drum sounds need to be seriously tamed...

I'd propose (on the drums track(s) only): transcient designer -> "Soothe EQ"-like -> vintage comp "LA-2A" style -> "TC Electronic Brickwall HD" (juste love it!) limiter or similar...

...Or, you can also simply replace your drum samples with something more... or more... in a word: better, far better.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022