All Vsts and Libraries in one folder?

Discussion in 'Software' started by namurtik, Sep 12, 2020.

1. namurtik

namurtik Noisemaker

Hello everybody,

is it possible to install all vsts and libraries in one place on the pc?

Maybe even on an external hard drive?

Love

3. Haliax

Haliax Guest

You can install VSTs wherever you like, you can even move them after installing. I have a directory where I keep all my VSTs

Example:
    vst/effects/type/company/name
    vst/instruments/type/company/name

Libraries are generally a little more complicated to move and vary from library to library, but can be done

4. jefft

jefft Producer

Hi I use a small SSD (C) for the operating system only running win 10, then I have a medium size hard drive (E) that I store, my VSTs on ( all in one folder) then a separate huge hard drive (D) that I store Samples, Loops and some VST libraries such as Kontakt and Omnisphere

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Why not? IOW, yes - apart from vst3 versions, ofc.
    But I'd recommend some subfolders like Haliax mentionend, although I personally don't use the company's name, just the effect and instrument type.

Yep.

6. The Freq

The Freq Guest

Yes to all noting that while most installations give you the option for path to where you want to install vsts's and libraries, not all do.
    However, of those that do not, vst's can be manually moved to the path you prefer though some have absolute paths. With libraries that do not, most come up and say 'cannot find default library' and you can then point to it. As for putting it all on the C:\ drive, these days if you have a lot of libraries, I do not believe it's a great idea because the more space on an SSD, the better it functions. If you have 20TB SSD, then perhaps, but if you can afford that, I'd still be inclined to have a 2TB SSD or nVme for your operating system and a separate 20TB SSD for your libraries.

7. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

SET a default path:

When you install a Plugin the installer checks the vst plugin directory in you registry. This entry is set by what you enter for the first VST Plugin you install. After this this path will always be pre entered when you install another VST Plugin. To change this registry entry you must open regedit in windows.
    • Push the keys windows + r to open the run dialog and type regedit.
    • The Registry Editor will open
    • Backup the registry (file, Export…, export range = all)
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    • Expand SOFTWARE
    • Find and click on VST
    • You will see two entries one says default – (value not set) and the other might for example say VSTPluginsPath – C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VstPlugins double click on this one.
    • Modify the data to the desired folder address (" C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\".)
    • Exit

8. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

for best performance C:vst
    also DAW on c....some will disaggree but i made my experiences

all into their categorys like c:vst/delay---only bundles under c:vst/bundles/company name

kontakt libs you can put on external hdd better ssd