All this "analog gear" and yet...

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Shiori Oishi, Mar 18, 2024.

1. mino45

mino45 Kapellmeister

His work might be great, but he seems to be a guy that was too old already to grasp or embrace the digital world when it took off. I just think extreme positions are always problematic. No gear or technology in the world will be able to make you a good producer or musician if you are not putting in the work. AI might be an exception to this rule, but if it does all the work, it is not you, even though you might be able to take the credit. So you could own all the best analog gear and create shitty music, or you have the best digital tools and your music sounds like crap too.
    Basically if you can produce music that people want to listen to, regardless of what tools you use, you are good.

2. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Producer

this must be such a pain in the ass to keep it mint. the maintenance and cleaning...

if i was to choose any mixer in the world i think would be an API

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

it's very easy to keep a "mixer" mint. That thing is actually a reel to reel tape machine with a mixer as it's enclosure. But if you buy good covers and never use the thing; the maintenance is not surprisingly very low. it's not even close to "mint". that unit is one of those that were $400 at pawn shops, garage sales, or flea markets. someone made a few popular records with it and everyone all of a sudden "remember how great they were" and add a zero to it's price tag. someone could get an otari or something else nice from Japan for half that tascam.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. SacyGuy

SacyGuy Ultrasonic

Yes, I agree with you. He talks a lot about the "real good music" A.K.A. the 70s rock'n'roll

5. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Ultrasonic

And yet his mixes don't sound like that at all!

6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Just because I like Rembrandt and Caravaggio paintings doesn't mean that all the pictures in my house or my IDs should look like that.

It's okay to appreciate something without trying to emulate it everywhere, that isn't art it is tribalism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Producer

i see.. something like the ns10's from the other tread
    very interesting

idk if its just me but it feels like this happening more often nowadays, those vintage gear with crazy pricing.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

oh no, absolutely not like with the NS10's. They are a serious tool for what people who like them want them for. But they made ~ 200,000 pairs of them total (per wiki). And they have now been out of production for 20 years. There are a few guys building nicer clones of them even now. Supply is limited, demand and use is the same as always. So they are becoming expensive, for what they really are. Like a 909 drum machine. Expensive, but not crazy unrealistic hype money like a $10,000 808. Or a $4,000 beat to hell Tascam. That listing is even marked $4K, for local pickup only. Probably so the owner can demonstrate it "works correctly" before it goes out the door as-is with no returns.

9. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

What a strange analogy. That's like saying "just because I like Burt Buchanan or Phil Spector doesn't mean my cat has to meow like them" lol

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

if you scan a Vermeer into a 300 dpi scanner and photoshop, send it via internet; it's the same thing as the real thing right? It looks just like the same thing on My Computer. This guy Nyquist says it looks exactly the same because Photoshop uses 2x the number of colors that guy used to paint it with. This scanner is perfect because 300dpi is high enough resolution to do that.

11. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

John Berger entered the chat.

12. anissbenthami

anissbenthami Kapellmeister

While there are many digital emulations of analog gear, few truly capture the character of the originals. Even more importantly, the analog mixing workflow itself contributes significantly to the final sound, something current plugin tools can't fully replicate.

13. Steaker

Steaker Newbie

While not exatly like the example you posted (a bit more clarity on the high-end), it's similar

I also try to recall the 90's-00's Trip-hop in some tracks of mine:

Again, there's a lot more definition on the High-end and I also take advantage of the modern tecnology to get more spaciality

14. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

Before going to check in at a mental institution, one should first check his deck transport, tonearm, tonearm cables, headshell, cartridge quality, cartridge screws, needle, tracking force, protractor angles, overhang, anti-skating adjustment, mat, clamp and the record pressing sequence (ranging from 1-100 or 1,000-5,000?).
    One should also check the phono section quality of their preamp, especially the RIAA filter.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

This ONE secret technique that artists DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!!! Click here and don't forget to like and subscribe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. SacyGuy

SacyGuy Ultrasonic

"You were doing THIS wrong your whole life"

who the hell these people are to judge me?
    :rofl:

17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

In all fairness, the person putting it up for sale replaced the capacitors and the old dried out transport rollers and bands so it should sound as good as new or almost. I recorded onto one once and it might just have saved my life.

True story...On February 26th,1993 I was supposed to meet my father for lunch in the mall under the World Trade Center complex in lower Manhattan at noon. My dad was a Wall Street guy. That morning I got a call from a fellow who had an ad in The Village Voice looking for a singer for a project he was working on. I canceled my appointment with dad and instead went to meet this guy at his ritzy apartment on 5th Ave in the mid 60's.

It was a cold and windy day with snow flurries and after getting off of the subway i headed west on a side street towards Central Park where the appointment was. My head was down looking at my feet to keep the wind off of my face and my scarf was bundled around my neck. Walking briskly as not to be late I all of a sudden ran smack into someone who was in the same predicament as I, head down and trying to get from A to B in a hurry. When we recovered I looked up and realized that the person I ran into was the great actor Anthony Quinn. Being the comic that I am the first thing that came into my head and that I said was, "Zorba, you asshole". Well, Mr. Quinn eyes went wide and then he started to uncontrollably laugh so hard that he almost fell down. After about 30 seconds or so I apologized for smashing into him, we shook hands and both went on our way.

I never did wind up working with that musician with the Tascam 388 but I remember that what what we recorded that day sounded much better than my own Tascam 246 Portastudio.

The Trade Center blast happened 7 minutes after I was to meet my father. 7 people were instantly killed and over a 1,000 were maimed and injured. Dad had decided to eat in his office and was OK in his building on Water Street. I of course was also fortunate not to have been in the lower levels of the blast site. Tascam saved my bones that day.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  18. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Producer

knowing your posts, and knowing you like written novels
    i'm not sure this is an actual true story
    or if your just messing with me hahah:unsure:

anyway, glad your alive lois.
    maybe you should buy that tascam 388 from your neighbour ahaha jk

19. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

It's a 100% true story...and, no, I'm not buying that Tascam.

20. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

But... my cat... it does what it wants

slice1.png