All this "analog gear" and yet...

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Shiori Oishi, Mar 18, 2024.

1. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Secret weapon ;)

Joking. Glad you liked the guitar. Believe it or not: it was a cheap 200 dollars Tagima (Brazilian trademark) Telecaster (or maybe a little less cheap Washburn, I am not sure which one I used). But the amp/fx is the big surprise: the stock amp in Ableton Live (clean rhythm funk preset tweaked to taste - I used the blues amp). The other guitar was amplitube (american vintage b) with a little compression.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  2. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Very interesting piece!

In terms of retro-sound, I think it has too much high frequency content (treble / upper mids), which I typically do not associate with oldschool records.

May I ask what you used for the tape-delay?

3. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Thanks!!!! The delay was echoboy.

4. SacyGuy

SacyGuy Ultrasonic

Oh my, Oh my God.

I just love the 1927 Metropolis

I have a track with this name

Love the atmosphere of your track, love the guitar and vocal. The spatial distribution of the sounds is realy cool

congrats

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

So that's one out of a million that someone might have actually used the digital tools correctly.... still, not good odds in any game...

6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Maybe this should be in the humor section, but someone in my area is trying to sell a Tascam 388 for $5000 dollars. Oh that warm analog sound!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

Gaga kills jazz live and i mean that in a good way her and Tonys live performances are absolutely amazing

8. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

First of all, the subject here is recording and processing using vintage gear emulations, not composition and performance quality.
    This recording sounds very close to analog because there was no excessive and unnecessary digital production processing here. As another modern technique, only auto-tune was used (which I do not approve of).
    Thirdly, Gaga sings jazz very well even though it is not her genre because she has a powerful voice as well as a good sense of jazz style. At no point does it seem like an imitation of a famous jazz singer.
    The composition is not boring, but full of enthusiasm, good mood, and movement, with a clear and attractive melodic line.

9. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

Old-school practices ended abruptly with the introduction of Digital Audio Workstations.

10. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Okay, but you've also said that old school producers :

Wouldn't you agree that all of the techniques mentioned above, perhaps with the exception of virtual instruments (even that is debatable), were in the very least pioneered long before the arrival of DAWs ?

I mean musique concrete predates the birth of the people who created DAWs :guru:

11. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

Lady Gaga is the Behringer version of a jazz singer

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

Why would I make a record sound like from the 70s or worse from the 60s? I am from the 50s and I have heard all the radios from the 60s on ... if you would be from that time you would use everything at hand to NOT sound like that - mostly - complete bullsh1t. Not everything from the 60s sounded like the Beatles and not everything from the 70s sounded like Pink Floyd. That were exceptions. EXCEPTIONS! I could play you examples of #1 hit songs that would make you burn all you precious vintage equipment instantly. What play a role in addition to all that was that there were strong filters of what you even got to be able to hear: not everyone could put some songs out. A very, very few were sorted out by the record companies and mot of the things that passed were DOA. A tiny, tiny bit of the output made it to your ears. I mean that literally. YOUR EARS.

So again: why would I want to put out material that sounds like the crap shitty years of pop- and rock-music? I have examples here ... Beatles - Abbey Road. Original, from late 70s, the 80s the 90, first digital release, 2009 remaster, and remix/remaster from 2019. Guess what? The first acceptable issue is the first digital release. All that vinyl sound like crap. The best version is the one from 2019. And who prefers a vinyl version ... go check up in a mental institution.

End that analog crap. Burn everything analog. Go away with that garbage. Ban all discussions about analog. It's BS. That's why we have digital. Period.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

The Tascam is one of the few cases that the plugins sounds better than the hardware

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think this is an example of what happened when Reverb began encouraging all their users to list everything they have in their studios for sale. So there are these " if you really want to bother me about this" prices now. They clearly are not the usual "I don't really want to sell it" prices. They are more like an IQ test.

15. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Kapellmeister

16. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Kapellmeister

Clone got the point: if there is such a drive for the "analog sound", why so few releases with such a sound? Take this for instance:

I think there are many answers, but I really liked the following:

17. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

Mostly, analog simulations on PCs and Macs are marketing bullshit and we all fall for it, me included. It won't make a bad song good or a good song great. It's mostly irrelevant.
    Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

18. Putinaros22

Putinaros22 Member

My friend when you go full analog then you have to fuck streaming services , platforms and bullshit and start cutting some vinyl or tapes etc with a Warm Record Shop to sell them or something to advertize them ( a magazine for example ) . Go the old way in marketing and selling and if your music is good you will succeed 100% . Where are you from ?

19. SacyGuy

SacyGuy Ultrasonic

I am from Brazil.
    This is the YT channel of the owner

https://www.youtube.com/@LiscielFranco

He is an electric engeneer and he build all the gear of the studio himself, the mixer, compressors, etc
    Also, when he needs money, he sells gear like maletomp to people all over the world (
    )

He bough completely broken studers really cheap and fixed them

the irony is that, major labels of the country last year approached him to establish partnerships

He is a controversial figure and has very strong opinions about the music scenary.

He is proud of NOT having any computers in the Studio

Also, he hates djs, rappers, hip-hop... every genre that he thinks its not "made true analog by humans"

But his work is very great, he is a kind of a genious

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Because not everyone wants the vintage lofi sound.