All songs now free to download

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Lenny Belardo II, Mar 1, 2021.

1. I haven't disagreed with anything you have either stated or suggested. We are simply focused on two different things. You are listening to an auto tuned vocal, whereas I would like you to listen to the songs. With time on my side in retirement, I can use my studio to write songs. I know I am not a good singer. I don't need to be told that. I have forty years in the business and I know bad singers. I have not had the courage to sing through my life. With technology I can now at least stay on pitch. So what should I do? Stop writing altogether because a few people with good ears like yourself can hear auto tune. My partner can't hear auto tune and she thinks I have a good voice. She's wrong, but that's the average listener. They don't hear it.

2. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

I really don't think it's an auto-tune issue.

It sounds like you are trying to sing the song with the same power that Sting would in his younger days.
    But unfortunately you haven't got that strength in your vocal notes to carry the notes in that register so it sounds more like the guy who sang the vocal on Jilted John.

Sorry but that's the best way I can explain it.

I'm really not trying to discourage you because you can clearly write songs and lyrics. Hence my suggestion to sing in a lower register.

3. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

No no. I listen to the song but that's the point this focused my attention too much and shouldn't. That's why I pointed this out.
    This is a thing You can improve if You want. If You don't want it's ok.
    You're the author and You know better how it should sounds.
    Is the final result is in line with your concept.

4. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

I don't care about autotune or his range. It's good. Very Midnight Oil maaate.
    Just from what you said about the vocal processing if you spend a week smashing some tutorials so you get your vocal processing chain sorted would make it quicker and you happier going forward. Keep it up.

These guys have a bunch of vocal tutorials.

Also this one if you can find on sister site. Luca is the GOAT! Melda Unison on vocal is a buzz.

https://mymixlab.com/course/vocal-reverb/

5. Is this more comfortable? I agree with you. You're right, I was singing at the top of my register just to prove I can do it. But I can't do it well. So here's a more solid performance.

Is it in line with my original idea? No. I would normally not respond to every comment about things like the snare having too much 2.2khz, but here in regard to Water Falls, I believe both of you are correct.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Yeah. This is much beter. I don't hear anything wrong here.
    You have something in the vocal which reminds me R.E.M songs.
    In this one I hear this even more.

7. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

I can listen to that one.... but I still think lower is the way to go.

8. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

You get a fat like on the first one from me. One probably doesn't have to explain why.. but - I really like the atmosphere that you created in the intro and the catchy chorus. Maybe I prefer the (somehow) syncopated rhythm vs the (almost) always-on-downbeat one. Don't get me wrong, it's about aesthetics. There are aplenty of great songs, lots from 80s, that are downbeat heavy (Tears for Fears, DM..)

If you feel it is your thing though, just go for it. Same for the vocals. AFAIK (almost) all vocals are autotuned nowadays. Not because singers can't sing - I'm talking super PROs - but because of the effect. The "we are fixing bad singers w autotune" seems to me like a 20 years old joke. What I would suggest is to find your trademark vocal chain and stick to it..

Thanks for posting :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. doctorG

doctorG Kapellmeister

Nicely done again Lenny...Liked the tunes, well crafted as most of your material is.
    Nice to see you're still breathing in without the help of a machine lol
    The best thing you said in this whole thread is:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. I have listened to the advice here. I do appreciate all comments from this group. You have helped me immensely bring this track down to earth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

Lenny, I really enjoy your songs. In addition, you write very interesting lyrics and melodic characteristics. Congrats: stay creative, productive and take care of yourself. Thanks for sharing pal.

12. Thank you very much. At my age I'm afraid I don't know what else to sing about. I've lost interest in Wet Ass Pussies since my prostate issue, which I won't go into here. Although if you PM me I can give you more information.

13. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Unless you are specifically talking about the T-Pain effect in Hip hop, I have to disagree.
    It is not "because of the effect".
    I sat in on both a James Blunt edit and mix session and a Coldplay session.
    You'd agree that they are both good vocalists.
    With a nigh-on perfect vocal take every time, with any great vocalist who becomes worth so much, we aren't not going to go in and change one syllable to make it more perfectly in tune, are we?
    It can be used so subtley.

Hey Papa @Lenny Belardo II !
    Only just seen this thread. Been away a few days.
    Will check out tunes in a mo'.

14. Bless you my boy. As you know, I do these songs with the idea that they are "proof of concept" demo's. I am under no illusions that an old bald guy with a white beard is going to capture the heart of any passing listener whether a lass nor even a young lad as I once could do when dancing shirtless as my lithe torso was a thing to behold in the olden days when Yazz said The Only Way Is Up. And it was.
    Go in peace.

15. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Pointing out imperfections is very easy.
    Making a track is very complex and difficult process.
    Implement many elements and make it working nicely together as a whole is very hard.
    You put a lot of heart and work into it. You defeated a lot of adversities and made many nice songs.
    Your music has the strength to break through the physical barrier and goes straight into the listener's soul.
    Well done! Keep it up!

16. Thank you sincerely Roject. Your comments are touching and give me a tremendous feeling of gratitude. I really find the commitment to help other members here very gratifying.
    The hardest work I put into it is singing. Singing isn't like playing and instrument or arranging a track....it is your heart and soul on full display. Like walking the streets naked. Which I am both ashamed and proud to say I have done in my youth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

18. acatnamedharmony

acatnamedharmony Ultrasonic

Absolutely ethereal tune...great work <3

I'm definitely partial to want to hear instrumental versions of these tunes. I'm really just a sucker for a pretty melody and you've definitely got a knack for it.

Singing is definitely a pain for those that aren't really used to it. I've only really ever done it on one of my tunes and its autotuned and processed to all hell. I do pull of some neat stuff though processing vocals. You can't go wrong with Izotope"s Nectar plugins and also really like to use the Waves CLA Vocals plugin lastly it's always awesome to use Melodyne to come up with different voicings and harmonies. You did great though vocally don't sweat peoples personal preferences. Looking forward to checking out more of your tunes.

19. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

Cool song, thank you! IMHO, autotune isn't a problem. For me personally.