All my NICNT Files all have wordpad icons now

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Ike, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Ike

Ike Ultrasonic

So I screwed up ! I was editing an NICNT file and I meant to open it with notepad + but for some reason I wasn’t thinking and I chose wordpad. After that I did something now everyone of my NICNT files has a wordpad icon. Does anyone know how to get rid of that wordpad icon. Bob has also been helping me but as of now nothing I have tried has worked. Any help is appreciated !!!!!

3. minozheros

minozheros Kapellmeister

try "assoc .nicnt=" in a command prompt.. You might have to restart after that.. it should remove the program associated with a file type

if that does not work try

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/remove-file-association-windows/

the roaming entry in the registry might not be there
    you should remove the .nicnt_auto.. thing as well if it exists in the registry

i am not sure if it will remove the icon though, you might have to restart afterwards for the icon to be gone or try something else again if it does not work..

TRY THIS ONE FIRST.. it might work on it's own without anything else if you dont have a .nicnt_auto.. association

To remove the icon you could try this .. find a file with a icon you like.. then copy the file to a different directory and rename it to something strange like whatever.xyz
    the extension should be not associated with anything..
    after that choose this file as standard app you will have to change the file extension dropdown to *.* show all files . after you have associated it with the .nicnt files remove the whatever.xyz file and the association should be gone but the .nicnt file should still have the icon

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I did this exact thing two days ago with another file type I can not recall.
    I could not stand having it show the icon so i searched on line and found those steps and it worked great.
    Much simpler and safer than messing in registry or using that NirSoft program (I messed something up with that once, just trying to set an icon.)
    [Edit: Here is the actual way I did it, simplified:
    - Create a text file and rename it to "Remove.Icon.exe"
    (The actual name does not matter)
    - Then, right-click the problem file and select "Open with..."
    - Make sure to select the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file",
    then browse to wherever your "Remove.Icon.exe" is, select it and click "OK".
    - Close any error message that appears.
    - Delete the "Remove.Icon.exe" file.
    (removing that fake "program" breaks the association to open the file and so removes the icon.) ]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020