ALL KIND OF ROCK MIX AND MASTER TUTORIAL

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Adamdog, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Vocal Mics

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. mhacko

mhacko Member

Very nice....helpful....Thanks!

3. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Vocal Mics

image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Enjoy it
    By Adamdog

5. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Thanx mhacko !!!

6. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

7. mrfloyd

mrfloyd Producer

Thank you

8. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Thank you! I am obsessed with these topics, it s not a work, but a NEED for me lol

Guys I really, really hope that you read and apply this tutorial... It s made for the people to improve and also EXCHANGE points of view

that s my pleasure to post such things, thanx for reading

9. Ash

Ash Rock Star

Impressive post!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Thanx a lot, I had it copied on a text file and the pics work done. I hope it will be useful, all,it takes is a long reading and pratice, it s a long way... but it s divided in section to be better digested.

I really hope that expecially young members would make a use of it.
    It s well done guys, a good start up. Then we may discuss the plug her, the technique there but...
    everything is adaptable... and always developing.
    This is actually a 2.0 version, in the first I start from "What is an eq? a pole? Gain?".
    Maybe even longer than this. I could extract the first lart for real beginners.
    But here... maybe it makes no sense. Quite a high level I must admit. Good !

Enjoy it

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

good lord... a one man mic-lopedia....

will take a while to chew on all of this...

pandaburger.gif

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

WOW @Adamdog ...that was extensive :woot:

A great help for musicans like me that spend a lot of time playing and writing songs, and very little time mixing and mastering.

I shall try some of Your tips :wink:

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

thank you all guys, I appreciate. It s not so tricky, you may start from a simple drum bass guitar vocals track and prepare like 12-14 tracks for the drums (sometimes I don t feel like to double the toms as istance but always kicks and snares layeres) some sub buss (kicks, snars, toms, drums, 2 FX channles and route all to the main drum bus), 3-4 bass lines and 1 mono bus, some guitar line panned and a guitar bus, some FX Channels, 2-3 vocal lines and a vocal bus, some FX channel.
    Having drum, bass, guitars and vocals bus will encrease the control on the mix, easy measuraments, saving cpu (metering plugs only on the buss, shared FX by mix section) and you can also minimize the volume automations work, you can as istance put a filter on the drum bus, FX automations etc.

Volume automation and a smart usage of the stereo width can help a chorus give an effect:
    keeping guitars, synths, vocals a little bit narrower in the stereo field to open the image at the chorus start.
    Mono delays and short reverbs in the verse, stereo delay and wide hall and plate reverbs in the chorus.
    Stereo field and spazialization are the effects you don t find in the VST folder but you find em in every good song you can hear.

Always automate a 1-2 DB fade in for every moment of the song. Verse, chourus, bridges...

Having 4 bass lines (AMPLI, DI, FAT DI, OVERDRIVEN DI) gives you a sonic weapon that may turn useful:

guitarrish mix, more OBERDRIVEN bass line volume will help the bass cut through
    in ballads or in a calm or psychedelic moment of the song, the lows of the FAT DI may be useful
    and so on

cheers, enjoy it!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  14. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

the best thing is to make a template of this tutorial

15. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

thanx but not my tips Rhodes. 40 years old techniques. Analog style mixing applied in a digital domain.
    use your DAW as a real analog mixing console. Auxes, bus... FX equalization... all coming from the analog era.

A selection in order by GLORY of the Adamdog's favourite console:

MCI
    EMI TG
    NEVE
    TELEFUNKEN
    SONY
    HARRISON
    Universal Audio

MCI invented the INLINE technology (mic and line in on the same channel, by a switch THINK THE ADVANTAGE, now we all have it on the cheapest mixers, but then...)
    MCI developed the first versions of automated faders.
    MCI has and headroom of + 30 DB with a soft gentle analog saturation.
    I ve seen a JH serie in action, a german friend who lives in my town, late 90s.

EMI TG console is an all passive, full discrete A class cream of sound you can hear on the Dark Side of the Moon (version MKIV if I don t get wrong). I love it. I own a Chandler minimixer, same channels bit only 16).

Sony is the sound of The Final Cut, PF. As istance... and... don t make me start lol

IN MODERN TIMES, i prefer Audient over SSL, they have ex MCI projectists. Sound and no hype. Old school.
    SSL never convinced me, even if it s been developed by a minor band like... the Who.
    EMI TG, MIC and Sony have been developed by that band with a debut album only, the Pink Floyd, an english band... bah...

16. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Yeah, I was never much interested in mixing or producing... my interest was always directed at playing and composing.
    Recording each of the instruments on a mono or stereo channel, and that was it.
    Doing a rough mix just to here how the instruments complement each other, and to get the picture of the whole song, so some composition changes could be implemented if necessary.

Everyone has its own interests I guess, but I really appreciate the time You spent on this "tutorial"; I will try for sure some of the described tips :mates: