Alexb SSL 9K Console...cant believe im just discovering this....

Discussion in 'Software' started by officialswish, Jun 5, 2024.

1. officialswish

officialswish Member

100% agree. much ado about whats under the hood. take the car for a spin!

2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Perhaps English isn't your first language, but it clearly says "this is a little like", meaning it is a comparator for illustative purposes, not saying you are a fanboy. But I'll forgive you for that. However, I'm not sure the definition for "fanboy" has a timescale attached though, e.g. you can only be a fanboy is you meet the terms and conditions that stipulate you must have been a fan for at least 73,039 minutes and 32 seconds :dunno:

PS I checked the Oxford English Dictionary definition for you to save you time and here's the TL:DR, no timescale.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Flippin' 'eck, I've just stumbled into a TEFL class :woot:

4. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

I can make you a list too, no one speak about Focusrite Liquid Mix ... because no one use it.
    If you are triggered each time someone speak about AA Nebula, a chance you don't know it for 20 years like me :rofl:

It is not a matter of "having ears" : it is a matter of TRAINING.
    Almost everyone on this planet CAN DO a backflip ... how many DO IT ?
    Probably less than 1%.

On my side, i hear things most others dont (testing IRDX/THU Fluid IR those days).
    And by decades of A/B testing, mixing ... (even if now, my rate is dropping due to my age ...) and testing plugins for my pleasure too.
    But i made EFFORTS to "get it".

Only lazy ppl think they "can do it too" without TRAINING EFFORTS.
    And no, i can't do a backflip :rofl:

PS : AA Nebula is a 20 years + legend, like it or not. Sonimus is not... for now ;D

5. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

Sand sound like a bad joke next to AlexB. Especially the newer one. I don't even think Sand is better than algo SSL's like Sonimus and Brainworx. AlexB for me sounds better than BX_9000J, and the BX is a damn good plugin. I use both together.

6. officialswish

officialswish Member

"for illustrative purposes" you called a group of people fanboys. it doesnt matter how you got to the point, you did. you were wrong. get over it. move on. the thread is actually about something and you're not adding anything to it.

hows my english..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  7. officialswish

officialswish Member

i was using the Bx 9000 with the alexb this weekend bc of the EQ. have to agree though. not anywhere near the AlexB

8. mrfloyd

mrfloyd Producer

It would be interesting to hear... if you could post two 15sec, before and after Alexb SSL9k, audio examples on audio material that impresses you so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

AlexB does great work with his Nebula libraries. Nebula does the best job IMHO as it does dynamically capture the console and it's actual harmonics within a normal working range. That's the rub, we almost never use a console in the normal working range, that last 10% of magic is in the pushing of the hardware tools, but this best captures the hardware in a digital plugin tool IMHO. I still love and use Nebula daily while working hybrid on my API, using the best of both worlds.

FWIW, I spent a lot of time at DARP, Zacs, 10th Street, and Stankonia... never got work in Treesound but wanted to. I'm a bigger 4000 fan than 9000, but I've never met an SSL I would refuse to work on, lol. I even enjoyed the fancy C300 at Interscope's Boiler Room.

10. NOTL1234

NOTL1234 Noisemaker

+1 to this

11. YungstarProd

YungstarProd Member

Now you got me intrigued. Would it work from the tools from the sister site?
    lol.

12. officialswish

officialswish Member

Nice. i see myself adopting this to my workflow longterm. I want to add AlexB's 4000 to my collection as well. Getting properly acclimated to the 9000 atm though.

I have a guy in Mizzou that works out of a studio that he helped build which is a massive 96 channel SSL Duality Fuse. I'm supposed to be sending a record to him soon. You know whats funny, i was so hard up about working in The Village for years because i wanted to use their Neve console in Room A. Had pre-booked sessions that didnt work out. loving this sound on what im working on and loving the idea of the possibility of what my guy in Mizziou can get done.

13. officialswish

officialswish Member

thats the one i've started using.

14. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

You don't need to give money to Acustica to use Nebula. Download the version on the sister site and save your money to support the 3rd devs since they are the heros of this tech.

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I use Nebula programmes like line/pre, etc, with the BX stuff.

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I wonder if the NAM/Aisa-X type technology could capture that last 10%? They've modelled a lot of distortion and fuzz pedals with it, and Aisa-X can even capture a tone stack dynamically.